China F1 Racing Team LTD.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WaikeCU

Re: China F1 Racing Team LTD.

OneAlex wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2017, 18:37
I feel like I sparked a bit of commotion with my comment. I apologise for doing do and also apologise for any offence caused. I do however stand by the comment, it's a fact of China that many businesses and countries have to deal with, from cars to fighter jets.

I was just looking at it from the view that Formula 1 is notoriously protective when it comes to technology and what is and isn't shared. Understandable given many teams treat F1 as an exercise in R&D for technologies on top of the brand exposure for the larger international companies (its almost impossible to make money in f1 so no one owns a team for that).

China is a massive auto market, as is Asia in general, so it makes sense for them to get into the game if it leads to them understanding and catching up further on auto technology. But I think Honda especially would be reticent to join up with an unknown consortium and risk a country that would be a key market competitor acquiring Honda's work.
I think some of you guys are thinking way worse than it really is. I mean Jackie Chan DC Racing is Chinese and they compete in LMP2 and ended 2nd and 3rd in the 24h Le Mans. This still is a sport and I truly believe that a generation of Chinese talented engineers can work in F1 and show their true skills on a different level than the past. In the past this would be unthinkable, but now the chance is real and I think they'll do their best to achieve success. Personally I think it's great to have a Chinese team on the grid. I'm sure they have the funds to operate within F1.

PlatinumZealot

FW17 wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2017, 15:35
NIO would be better name than Volvo.

They have also made the fastest electric car in the world.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im ... xkcqgy.jpg
The NIO is just about as Chinese as the Mercedes PU is German.:wink:
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Edax

I feel like I sparked a bit of commotion with my comment. I apologise for doing do and also apologise for any offence caused. I do however stand by the comment, it's a fact of China that many businesses and countries have to deal with, from cars to fighter jets.

I was just looking at it from the view that Formula 1 is notoriously protective when it comes to technology and what is and isn't shared. Understandable given many teams treat F1 as an exercise in R&D for technologies on top of the brand exposure for the larger international companies (its almost impossible to make money in f1 so no one owns a team for that).

China is a massive auto market, as is Asia in general, so it makes sense for them to get into the game if it leads to them understanding and catching up further on auto technology. But I think Honda especially would be reticent to join up with an unknown consortium and risk a country that would be a key market competitor acquiring Honda's work.
I have no problem with you saying that. It is true, and I think there is no shame in a country reverse engineering other technologies to "catch up". After all the whole US industrial revolution started with reverse engineering European technologies.

But there comes a certain point where reverse engineering does not pay off. Reverse engineering does not necessarely mean you have less development costs, certainly not for more advanced technologies, and even if so being first to market outweighs advantages you might gain from copying.

I think China now has reached that point where they have to develop their own technologies to grow, and you slowly see a shifting attitude towards R&D. Personally I think that is a good thing. You might view it as an increase in competition. It is true, but on the other hand the larger the pool of people working on certain subjects, and the more competition, the faster we will grow as a whole.

adrianjordan

If these PU were so easy to copy, would Honda be struggling quite so much??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Daliracing

Ron Dennis sold al of his shares to Mclaren. Would he try something with a new team in the future?

PlatinumZealot

He wont use his personal money unless he wants to lose it forever. Lol.. There has to be a guarantee that the team will be profitable before he dumps his money into it. He might have to wait until Liberty tables a new agreement with the teams.

Manoah2u

Daliracing wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2017, 16:00
Ron Dennis sold al of his shares to Mclaren. Would he try something with a new team in the future?
No, Dennis has said Farewell to F1, he won't be going back.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

nokivasara

adrianjordan wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2017, 14:26
If these PU were so easy to copy, would Honda be struggling quite so much??
Because they want to make it on their own, re-inventing the wheel if needed to.

24000rpm

hi, surgical CU, i think we shouldn't be offended. its not like the whole field of f1 isn't craving for intellectual property leaks, like copying other's wings and ideas and stuff.

spygate comes to mind.

WaikeCU wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2017, 14:18
23 Jun 2017, 16:44
Going off the Ron Dennis/Honda ideas
... Would Honda be willing to supply a "Team China"? They're quite a proud Japanese company after all, and never underestimate the amount of nationalism involved in deals relating to China and Japan.

Plus let's face it, China isn't exactly trustworthy with intellectual property. The country is the biggest player of industrial espionage and reverse engineering/copying products, and is well known for it in the auto industry. Would Honda want to risk sharing their best auto technology to a Chinese consortium?
I find that quite offending tbh :x
Because it's Chinese it has to be something about stolen intellectual? Perhaps we should generalize other nationalities as well.

I think they could run rebadged Renault engines under the name of Volvo. Maybe Ho-Pin Tung enters F1 finally.

24000rpm

correctmundo!
I am a Chinese engineer and with 4 copies of my body generated by gene-growth technology originated from the West, I can make those China F1 team's pit stops a 1.8s breeze

Hire me! I am ready! I can work for free!

WaikeCU wrote: ↑

I think some of you guys are thinking way worse than it really is. I mean Jackie Chan DC Racing is Chinese and they compete in LMP2 and ended 2nd and 3rd in the 24h Le Mans. This still is a sport and I truly believe that a generation of Chinese talented engineers can work in F1 and show their true skills on a different level than the past. In the past this would be unthinkable, but now the chance is real and I think they'll do their best to achieve success. Personally I think it's great to have a Chinese team on the grid. I'm sure they have the funds to operate within F1.
[/quote]

SteveRacer

How much of that LMP2 effort is Chinese? It seems Jota Sport had much to do with Jackie Chan DC Racings LeMans result.

24000rpm

probably zero, the Chinese just bankrolled everything.

But how much of force india is Indian?
How much of Redbull is Austrian?

SteveRacer wrote: ↑
04 Jul 2017, 22:53
How much of that LMP2 effort is Chinese? It seems Jota Sport had much to do with Jackie Chan DC Racings LeMans result.

PlatinumZealot

They have to start somewhere. It will be all about growing the interest from the homeland. As you mention Force India; they put in alot of effort to attract indian sponsors and even tried to raise a few Indian drivers and engineers, but it just didn't unfold as they had hoped. The Chinese tend to delve in any and everything, so they should make it a bit further down the national path than Force india did.

FW17