Are F1 circuits allowed to go over bridges?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Edax
Edax

Re: Are F1 circuits allowed to go over bridges?

godlameroso wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 19:32
https://fthmb.tqn.com/8LICFauiLWojqyk4L ... d3082b.jpg

Not the greatest image but it's the only one I could find of the bridge in question.
Where's that, Miami?

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

The idea of a racing car in water is pretty scary.

marmer
marmer

BanMeToo wrote:The idea of a racing car in water is pretty scary.
F1 is naturally better than most racecars due to being open next season with head protection would actually make it less safe

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

godlameroso

Edax wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 19:46
godlameroso wrote:

Not the greatest image but it's the only one I could find of the bridge in question.
Where's that, Miami?
Yeah, between the Port of Miami and Downtown there's more than enough space for a Baku like track.
Saishū kōnā

dans79

godlameroso wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 20:33
Yeah, between the Port of Miami and Downtown there's more than enough space for a Baku like track.
If they do have a race in Miami this will be running through my head all weekend.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

The length of the bridge is a consideration more than the height above water. They naturally would have the rescue/recovery vehicles near both ends of the bridge because there is obviously no room for them on the bridge itself. The longer the bridge the longer it would take for the recovery vehicles to reach the scene.

As mentioned already the track can be designed to limit the speed the cars go over the bridge.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 22:08
The length of the bridge is a consideration more than the height above water. They naturally would have the rescue/recovery vehicles near both ends of the bridge because there is obviously no room for them on the bridge itself. The longer the bridge the longer it would take for the recovery vehicles to reach the scene.

As mentioned already the track can be designed to limit the speed the cars go over the bridge.
I really want to see in F1 a corkscrew or spiral...you know, sort of like a spiraling ramp. A fording would also be cool.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

godlameroso wrote:

i love the idea but it's never gonna happen.
logistically [traffic] it's going to be a nightmare on so many levels, and then there's the point of having 2 long straights like that. i don't believe any track has such a long straight anywhere. doing just half the bridge wouldn't really be interesting either i'd say.

again, i like the idea, but then it would have to become like a 12 mile racetrack in the end. it wouldn't work.
well, not with this bridge - sorry bud.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marmer
marmer

to whoever neg my post about f1 cars being safer in water it was largely meant as a joke but just to expand

it would be safer if the car landed in water providing the driver is not hurt on impact. not having a roof or cover would allow the driver to escape quickly
compared to closed cockpit they would find it very difficult to get a door or wind open not impossible but hard.
once the car is in water the driver would need to quickly open the door before it went below the surface. once most of the door has gone past the water opening gets harder until the cockpit fills with water.
an f1 driver would not have to wait for it to fill which would make him nearer the surface to escape.
if the cockpit becomes more closed it would make it harder for the driver to escape especially if it caused a closed cockpit effect

but one potential benefit would be head protection hitting the water if the car was to land with the head getting the brunt of it. this effect would be minor however as the drivers helmet would be mostly good enough divers hit water at extreme speeds with no head protection and are fine .if an f1 car somehow managed to get over the fence at Singapore it will most likely just be falling down naturally losing most of its speed hitting the fences and walls