A question regarding tyre width

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer

A question regarding tyre width

With the new tyre width this season allowing much faster Corning speeds along with more down force generated by wider cars. Would it be possible when the regulations change to make the tyres wider again.
Addition mechanical grip is good all round
If you keep the same width with front and rear wings aero would not increase apart from drag from tyres. Stopping cars from going too fast also making it easier to follow.
Would increasing the width of the tyres more cause any issues.

Currently I can see an issue with weight for the mechanic holding the wheel. also size would make it harder to slot in place for a pitstop. But having no idea how much a F1 wheel weights atm so this might not be an issue.

In terms of speed is there a point where additional width and increased contact patch wouldn't actually help

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

rscsr

Re: A question regarding tyre width

marmer wrote:
10 Jul 2017, 22:45
Currently I can see an issue with weight for the mechanic holding the wheel. also size would make it harder to slot in place for a pitstop. But having no idea how much a F1 wheel weights atm so this might not be an issue.
Only the tyres 9.5kg on the front and about 11 kg on the rear in 2017 according to this. Also on F1Technical this has been discussed here. I haven't found any source for the rims, but I think I've read sometime ago that it was about 3.5kg.