Petition against halo in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SR71

Re: Petition against halo in F1

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 22:47
So its safe to say Niki Lauda would have died if he had the Halo ?? As it would have taken longer to get him out, it would have been harder to get him out.

I signed it as I think it will cause as many problems as it will cure.
Does it take longer to extract a driver with a Halo fitted to the chassis?

Source?

Spreading rumors is for the silly season thread and even a basic visual review of the system shows it to clearly offer plenty of access for driver extraction.

RS200E

SR71 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 22:34
Manoah2u wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 16:23
giantfan10 wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 03:32

Improve safety with a pretty design that makes the driver dizzy, because looks are what really matter. Priceless.
I will not be signing that petition.
I suspect that a large majority of the people that signed it are using looks as the deciding factor.
This is about SAFETY and the halo is the safest option the FIA have available to them at this point.period.
God forbid another driver dies from head trauma while the governong body is going around in circles trying to find the perfect solution... will all the petitioners pitch in to pay the millions of dollars the governing body will have to pay after they get sued and lose?
what on earth are you talking about. the Halo ALSO makes the driver dizzy.
AND doesn't protect the driver from debris like MASSA's incident, OR from a control arm smashing into the drivers head ALA senna. #-o you have no idea what you're talking about. sign or don't sign, i could care less but this reasoning? wow.
Where is the source reports for HALO use and dizzy drivers?

Also, in massas incident the Halo could have deflected and taken a serious amount of energy out of any debris.

Same goes for Senna, the control arm lenght would have to be longer than the gap between Halo and driver which is quite large.

I think the only people who have no idea what they are talking about are those against the halo for aesthetic reasons, those who claim to know all computer simulations tested on the halo (which is every formum member) and those unable to provide a safer and more appealing solution.

In the end it changes nothing with regards to racing.
Hard to take your opinion seriously when you have such a petty signature.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

giantfan10

NathanOlder wrote:
So its safe to say Niki Lauda would have died if he had the Halo ?? As it would have taken longer to get him out, it would have been harder to get him out.

It is the best option available and thats what nobody seems to want to get...
The teams were tasked to come up with better solutions and they didnt.....so no need to complain now.
The FIA says they will now work to refine the halo for 2018 and are still open to a better option.

Manoah2u

RS200E wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 23:10
SR71 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 22:34
Manoah2u wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 16:23

what on earth are you talking about. the Halo ALSO makes the driver dizzy.
AND doesn't protect the driver from debris like MASSA's incident, OR from a control arm smashing into the drivers head ALA senna. #-o you have no idea what you're talking about. sign or don't sign, i could care less but this reasoning? wow.
Where is the source reports for HALO use and dizzy drivers?

Also, in massas incident the Halo could have deflected and taken a serious amount of energy out of any debris.

Same goes for Senna, the control arm lenght would have to be longer than the gap between Halo and driver which is quite large.

I think the only people who have no idea what they are talking about are those against the halo for aesthetic reasons, those who claim to know all computer simulations tested on the halo (which is every formum member) and those unable to provide a safer and more appealing solution.

In the end it changes nothing with regards to racing.
Hard to take your opinion seriously when you have such a petty signature.
yeah, i noticed that before too.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ChrisDanger

Cool, I see the discussion has now devolved into personal attacks.

You see, the way it works is people first feel a certain way about something, then try to find rationalisations to back up their feelings. (That's not an opinion, it's modern neuroscience.) So really we're bickering over whatever straws we're clutching at to back up the fact that we either don't like it, because it's kinda ugly, or so what, safety is paramount. Or something simple like that. Any details are irrelevant. Arguing is pointless, because it takes a lot to change someone's mind.

And please leave attacks on a person's character to the slimy politicians of the world. It's really the lowest form of trying to break down your opponents arguments. I guess that's fine if you want to live in a divided community defined by mutual hatred, but I sure don't.

NathanOlder

SR71 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 22:55
NathanOlder wrote:

Source?

Spreading rumors is for the silly season thread and even a basic visual review of the system shows it to clearly offer plenty of access for driver extraction.
Surely even you can see the driver will have to be lifted higher to get him out, and the marshals/medics will have to reach in further to get him. The driver cant pass throught the gap between Halo and Tub, he has to be lifted straight up and out. And I cant begin to imagine how a driver will get out when the car is upside down.

http://picpaste.com/Screenshots_2017-07 ... FREFB5.png

Here is a quick pic I did showing how hard it will be upside down. The gap at A. Is impossible to pass the drivers helmet through. And gap B. Is pretty tight and if your in a deep gravel it would be almost impossible.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ojlopez

Signed. No matter how much protections you put in a car, there will always be freak accidents that you can't prepare for no matter what.

RS200E

ChrisDanger wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 06:23
Cool, I see the discussion has now devolved into personal attacks.

You see, the way it works is people first feel a certain way about something, then try to find rationalisations to back up their feelings. (That's not an opinion, it's modern neuroscience.) So really we're bickering over whatever straws we're clutching at to back up the fact that we either don't like it, because it's kinda ugly, or so what, safety is paramount. Or something simple like that. Any details are irrelevant. Arguing is pointless, because it takes a lot to change someone's mind.

And please leave attacks on a person's character to the slimy politicians of the world. It's really the lowest form of trying to break down your opponents arguments. I guess that's fine if you want to live in a divided community defined by mutual hatred, but I sure don't.
So you like the signature bragging about the only 2 things ever got right? How about all the things that got wrong, maybe include that.

You're coming accross like a know it all. A personal attack would be: "your eyes are too close together and you have a prominent brow indicatating you might be a Neanderthal".

Calling someone out on their tasteless signature is a forum necessity.

ChrisDanger

RS200E wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 19:15
So you like the signature bragging about the only 2 things ever got right? How about all the things that got wrong, maybe include that.

You're coming accross like a know it all. A personal attack would be: "your eyes are too close together and you have a prominent brow indicatating you might be a Neanderthal".
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I like the "signature bragging". What I see is someone disagrees, won't be swayed by your arguments, so you attack him. It's a classic example of the below. I was merely saying stick with the argument itself, or just give it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem wrote:Ad hominem is now usually understood as a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

Further...

RS200E wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 19:15
Calling someone out on their tasteless signature is a forum necessity.
Calling someone out on their ad hominem fallacy is a forum necessity. I would argue that a signature is very much an "attribute of the person making the argument".

RS200E

Dude spend some time on something that matters. SMH

Daliracing

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 08:43
SR71 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 22:55
NathanOlder wrote:

Source?

Surely even you can see the driver will have to be lifted higher to get him out, and the marshals/medics will have to reach in further to get him. The driver cant pass throught the gap between Halo and Tub, he has to be lifted straight up and out. And I cant begin to imagine how a driver will get out when the car is upside down.

http://picpaste.com/Screenshots_2017-07 ... FREFB5.png

Here is a quick pic I did showing how hard it will be upside down. The gap at A. Is impossible to pass the drivers helmet through. And gap B. Is pretty tight and if your in a deep gravel it would be almost impossible.
Maybe they can build in a Quick release function on it so the halo can be removed quickly. Still it won't work when the car is upside down.

NathanOlder

They need a disappearing Halo that vanishes when activated. This is the only way it can work and unfortunately, we dont quite have the technology for that yet.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

driver airbags i guess is what's next in line. surprisingly, i am surprised that this has not actually been implemented. would THAT perhaps lessened the impact on Bianchi's head [by absorbing]?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dans79

Manoah2u wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 23:46
driver airbags i guess is what's next in line. surprisingly, i am surprised that this has not actually been implemented. would THAT perhaps lessened the impact on Bianchi's head [by absorbing]?
The only thing that would have helped Bianchi, would be the front end loader not being there.
197 104 103 7

Gatecrasher

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 23:38
They need a disappearing Halo that vanishes when activated. This is the only way it can work and unfortunately, we dont quite have the technology for that yet.
You mean the opposite of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNHViIgmQo0

Use Halo retract when the car is upside down