Hamilton goes Vegan!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild

Hamilton goes Vegan!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41296229
"So far I don't feel as if I have been missing out," he said. "But I don't know how easy it is going to be when I get home. That is going to be a real test.

"Every person I have met who has gone vegan says it is the best decision they have ever made.

"When you watch this documentary and you see meat clogging up your arteries, you see all the stuff they put in the meat, stuff we are all eating, there is no way I am going to disregard that."

Hamilton said his family's medical history had been an influence in his decision, with heart disease and cancer prevalent among his ancestors.

"I don't want in 10 or 20 years to have diabetes or catch any of that stuff," he said.

"I can continue to decide to eat that stuff and take that risk, but when you get [a disease or illness like that], you want to make change, so I am trying to pre-empt that.

"I think it's the right direction and by letting people who are following me know, maybe that will encourage a couple of people to do the same thing."
Last edited by manchild on 17 Sep 2017, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

Re: Hamilton goes Vegan!

I think his name giver (Carl Lewis) will be proud!

For people who are interested, I can advise to not only watch “what the health” but also their first documentary: “cowspiracy”.

Shrieker

Animal protein sources, such as meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy, are similar to the protein found in your body. These are considered to be complete sources of protein because they contain all of the essential amino acids that your body needs to function effectively.
I don't understand a sportsman disregarding animal protein. I must admit though that I am not well versed with the science relevant to this issue, and haven't read a good comprehensive study (if there is one).
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

DVB

Science already proved, people don't need meat or fish to be healthy. In fact, people who only eat vegan are living healthier.

I'm still a meat fan 😎
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

Jolle

Shrieker wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 11:02
Animal protein sources, such as meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy, are similar to the protein found in your body. These are considered to be complete sources of protein because they contain all of the essential amino acids that your body needs to function effectively.
I don't understand a sportsman disregarding animal protein. I must admit though that I am not well versed with the science relevant to this issue, and haven't read a good comprehensive study (if there is one).
Animal protein are a bit richer then vegetable protein. As a professional athlete you have the privilege to have your diet well balanced. Just a good mix of beans, lentils and nuts and you get more then you ever need.

Fulcrum

Not the first athlete to advocate for a dietary cause - Novak Djokovic being the other prominent one in relation to gluten intolerance.

If it works for Lewis his advocacy will be more persuasive. I guess the proof will be in the eating - or lack thereof.

Shrieker

Fulcrum wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 11:31
Not the first athlete to advocate for a dietary cause - Novak Djokovic being the other prominent one
And look where it got him. He sux a$$ man this year...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

marvin78

Real scientists don't recommend vegan for professional sports. If you do so, you have to use additional meds to get all you need. That vegans live healthier is not a fact. It's a claim that is brought up by poeple who earn very much money by saying such things. My wife is a real scientist in especialy this area and she says that vegans do NOT live healthier if they don't do additional things. Vegetarrians do live healthier than "every day meat eaters" but that is another story.

Fulcrum

Shrieker wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 11:41
Fulcrum wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 11:31
Not the first athlete to advocate for a dietary cause - Novak Djokovic being the other prominent one
And look where it got him. He sux a$$ man this year...
This year, yes. He did the gluten reduction/removal in 2010, and won 11 grand slams in the space of 6 years immediately thereafter. Removing gluten probably helped a small amount in this regard; I know he lost weight - retained strength - and was able to train more.

I gather he's been injured a lot this year, so maybe he just needs to slow down and play fewer tournaments? He is post 30 after all.

manchild

marvin78 wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 11:46
Real scientists don't recommend vegan for professional sports. If you do so, you have to use additional meds to get all you need. That vegans live healthier is not a fact. It's a claim that is brought up by poeple who earn very much money by saying such things. My wife is a real scientist in especialy this area and she says that vegans do NOT live healthier if they don't do additional things. Vegetarrians do live healthier than "every day meat eaters" but that is another story.
"Real scientists"?! You mean those who are bribed by meat, dairy and egg industry to write lies in order to boost its profit? :mrgreen:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 68036.html
Vegans have substantially lower death rates than meat-eaters, a major study has found.

The study has been published in the JAMA Internal Medicine Journal and reignites debate around increasingly popular vegan diets amid conflicting medical advice and evidence over their impact of proponents' health.

The research was undertaken by scientists at Massachusetts General Hospital, who monitored health and diet records of more than 130,000 people over the course of thirty years.

They found every three per cent increase in calories from plant protein was found to reduce risk of death by 10 per cent. The figure rises to 12 per cent for risk of dying from heart disease.

By contrast, raising the share of animal protein in one's diet by 10 per cent led to a two per cent higher risk of death from all causes. This increased to an eight per cent higher chance of dying from heart disease.

Substituting eggs for plant protein led to a 19 per cent reduction in death risk and eliminating unprocessed red meat saw a drop of 12 per cent.
Hamilton himself said that documentary "What the health" influenced him to become Vegan, and anyone who watched it learned the truth about "The real scientist" and how meat, dairy and egg industry finances official medical organizations to keep promoting lies to the public.

Here is the full documentary "What the health"
*embed might not work on android mobile, so use the link https://youtu.be/NIl7aTwxIE0

Every statement from the documentary can be checked personally by anyone.
Last edited by manchild on 17 Sep 2017, 13:25, edited 2 times in total.

Chene_Mostert

manchild wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 12:52
marvin78 wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 11:46
"Real scientists"?! You mean those who are bribed by meat, dairy and egg industry to write lies in order to boost its profit? :mrgreen:

Vegans have substantially lower death rates than meat-eaters, a major study has found.

The study has been published in the JAMA Internal Medicine Journal and reignites debate around increasingly popular vegan diets amid conflicting medical advice and evidence over their impact of proponents' health.

The research was undertaken by scientists at Massachusetts General Hospital, who monitored health and diet records of more than 130,000 people over the course of thirty years.

They found every three per cent increase in calories from plant protein was found to reduce risk of death by 10 per cent. The figure rises to 12 per cent for risk of dying from heart disease.

By contrast, raising the share of animal protein in one's diet by 10 per cent led to a two per cent higher risk of death from all causes. This increased to an eight per cent higher chance of dying from heart disease.

Substituting eggs for plant protein led to a 19 per cent reduction in death risk and eliminating unprocessed red meat saw a drop of 12 per cent.
Hamilton himself said that documentary "What the health" influenced him to become Vegan, and anyone who watched it learned the truth about "The real scientist" and how meat, dairy and egg industry finances official medical organizations to keep promoting lies to the public.

Every statement from the documentary can be checked personally by anyone.
and the veg industry finances documentaries to promote lies to the public.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Chene_Mostert

My one grandpa died at 46, never new him.
my other grandpa died at age 63
my one grandma died at 62
my other grandma died at 84 smoked 2 packets of twenties per day, been smoking since she was 13.
my cousin died at 38
and the other day a 26 year old veg from my town wrapped his street racer around a lamp post and died.

they were all meat eaters except the last guy, what will research say of this...
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

CBeck113

manchild wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 12:52

That is simply flat-out wrong - 100% of people die.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

manchild

Chene_Mostert wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 12:59
and the veg industry finances documentaries to promote lies to the public.
Vegan industry doesn't exist, so it can't finance anything. Meat, dairy and egg industry make hundreds of billions each year, and are completely incorporated into establishment, protected by laws, financed and supported from budget, have politicians and media in their back pocket... but despite all that they can't stop the truth from coming out.
Hamilton's statement has knocked out them so hard that their stocks will fall, and they'll be forced to shut down even more farms and slaughterhouses. https://youtu.be/spV6dK3btWc