Hamilton goes Vegan!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
J.A.W.

Re: Hamilton goes Vegan!

santos wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 11:04
So... is this forum about Formula One?
Technically, yeah.. for sure..
& FYI, Lewis Hamilton, about whom this thread devolves, happens to be a fairly prominent bloke, in F1..
..so, IMO - as a subject for 'General Chat' per this sub-section.. self-evidently, its a goer..

Anyhow.. given your input, just what is your gripe about?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

lpatterson

I could not agree more with Santos. An absolute who cares subject!!!.

J.A.W.

lpatterson wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 11:47
I could not agree more with Santos. An absolute who cares subject!!!.
Well lpatterson, that's odd.. so.. hey, kindly inform.. me & the other thread participants..
How is it.. that you do - in fact - care enough.. to add a comment?

santos

J.A.W. wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 11:39
santos wrote:
& FYI, Lewis Hamilton, about whom this thread devolves, happens to be a fairly prominent bloke, in F1..
..so, IMO - as a subject for 'General Chat' per this sub-section.. self-evidently, its a goer..

Oh no, i don't any "gripe". I just don't see the what this have to do with F1. Even more in a technical fórum. This leaves a door open to anyone start a topic about "Hulkenberg goes to the supermarket", "Alonso goes to the cinema", "Raikkonen goes drunk"... you see my point?

J.A.W.

santos wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 13:06
J.A.W. wrote:
santos wrote:

Oh no, i don't any "gripe". I just don't see the what this have to do with F1. Even more in a technical fórum. This leaves a door open to anyone start a topic about "Hulkenberg goes to the supermarket", "Alonso goes to the cinema", "Raikkonen goes drunk"... you see my point?
No.. due to the fact that serious weight loss by drivers - due to heavyweight tech cars - is a valid topic for 'General Chat'.

Just_a_fan

santos wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 13:06
J.A.W. wrote:
santos wrote:

As with any of those threads, should they appear, you are free to ignore it and read something else. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

alc59

I'm in the who 'cares' group. I look forward to the controversial thread on what colour underpants he has decided to wear.

Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 09:28
It seems that some vegans are like some religious people. Their way is the only way...
definately. reminds me of feminists too. and lgbt-fanatics.
makes me wonder what kind of discussions would arise from a feminist vegan lgbt member :)
being normal and level-headed is not 'hipster enough' i guess. :roll: :lol:
(don't get me wrong, i'm not insulting anybody here)

well, let them enjoy themselves. i can't be bothered. i actually delibaretly went to a vegan
restaurant once to order a good rib eye steak, you should have seen the face of the waiter and
the people around me when i questioned why they didn't have meat :lol:

i know, sounds like i was really being an -ss but the matter of fact, the owner of that store actually
delibaretly went to a steakhouse and made a scene they didn't have a vegan meal #-o
i was with a friend who's actually a writer for magazine articles. the owner unfortunately wasn't present,
wanted to see how he would have reacted.

drifting off though but,

about the Lewis matter - if Lewis wants to do so, be free to go ahead and go for it man. If he only wanted to eat fish, go ahead too. People are entitled to live their lives the way they want to.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

manchild

:shock:
santos wrote:
In fact, a driver becoming Vegan is much more technical topic than half of topics in General chat, because being a Vegan considers not just restraining from food of animal origin, but also from clothing, furniture and anything else based on animal exploitation, suffering and killing.

https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/d ... n-veganism
"A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."
Now, since Hamilton became Vegan, that means that he already did or will have to get different material for overall, boots, gloves, seat and possibly steering-wheel. All these parts of driver's protective equipment and F1 car (seat and steering wheel), are at least partially made from animal skin, mostly suede leather (lamb skin).

https://www.formula1.com/en/championshi ... thing.html
The driver’s gloves are also made of Nomex® and are thin, with suede leather palms to provide the sensitivity of feel necessary for steering. The driver's fireproof ankle boots are made of soft, cushioned leather
http://www.f1technical.net/features/40
Such a seat is made from carbon fibre, because of its high strength and low weight. It is furthermore refined with polymers, and at some teams covered with a suede inside for comfort and solid positioning.
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/steering_wheel.html
The grip on the steering wheel is made by taking a mould from the driver's gloved hand, to again obtain a perfect fit. It is then covered with suede like material which is not slippery if it gets wet.

Andres125sx

santos wrote:
Do you feel the need to read ALL the thread from F1T? :shock: :shock:

I find it amazing people complaining about some threads, while wasting their time on those threads #-o

Just an example, the Singapore first lap incident thread to me is absurd, it was a race incident no matter how you look at it. Did I go to the thread to say "hey guys what are you doing discussing about something so obvious?". No, obviously no. If people want to discuss about that, what´s your problem with that?

If you don´t like it, just don´t read it, but don´t say people what should they do, like or dislike

Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 22:24

makes me wonder what kind of discussions would arise from a feminist vegan lgbt member :)
S'funny but a couple of lesbian vegans that I know are fairly laid back about it (that sounds like the start of a joke!). They say "if we get invited somewhere we just eat the vegetables. We don't expect people to make a special dish just for us". Which I think is cool and to be applauded. I know someone whose wife is vegetarian. She cooks meat for him and the kids but does vegetarian stuff for herself. I know other vegetarians who just "get on with it" and don't make a fuss. I don't tell them to eat meat and they don't tell me not to.

I think it's the usual "noisy minority" who give any group a bad name.

Just_a_fan

manchild wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 03:14
:shock:
santos wrote:
In fact, a driver becoming Vegan is much more technical topic than half of topics in General chat, because being a Vegan considers not just restraining from food of animal origin, but also from clothing, furniture and anything else based on animal exploitation, suffering and killing.

I would guess that he says "vegan" but really means "dietary vegan" not "whole lifestyle vegan".

manchild

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 10:13
I would guess that he says "vegan" but really means "dietary vegan" not "whole lifestyle vegan".
Well, he is too well informed and advised to come forward and declare himself as Vegan if he is only on plant-based diet. If that is the case it will bounce back on him sooner or later.

Consistency is what Veganism is all about. Without consistency a person falls into hypocrisy, and there's nothing that can remove those stains.

One can't be partially Vegan. Veganism has quite simple definition and just one rule to stick to, but some people tend to twist it.

For example, when Novak Djokovic started posting photos of plant-based meals, media started reporting that he became Vegan, and than after a while he said that he is "mainly vegan with just some fish". That meant that he was never even a vegetarian, but a carnist all the time. He was a pescetarian, never Vegan.
Last edited by manchild on 23 Sep 2017, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDanger

manchild wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 19:25
One can't be partially Vegan. Veganism has quite simple definition and just one rule to stick to, but some people tend to twist it.
This reeks of fanaticism and highlights the futility of trying to label everything so you can think you understand the world.

Tommy Cookers

biodynamic products from Jody Scheckter's farm, anyone ?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... namic-farm