Hamilton goes Vegan!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Hamilton goes Vegan!

Jolle wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 08:33
Andres125sx wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 07:43
SR71 wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 20:01

Lots of people are far from experts in here giving advise from a position of an expert.
So true...
SR71 wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 20:01
Going vegan does not mean you think you're wiser than nature - it's quite the opposite.
Good example SR71 :mrgreen:

We humans are omnivorous, this is not an opinion, but a fact. Going vegan or vegetarian is going against nature because we think our science is good enough to replace meat with some other proteins and that´s all, there won´t be any other problem... so basically we´re assuming our science can replace millions years of evolution :roll:

I find it quite amazing how we humans keep repeating same mistakes forever, we always think we know it all, we always assume our science is perfect and does not miss anything #-o

Sorry but my faith on science is not that blind, my parents taught me that since I was a child, and I´ll repeat they´re
both scientists
My question would be, how many actual vegans do you know?

my group of friends/people I know well is around half vegan/half meat eaters. From the vegans, many of them have that lifestyle for decades or even a life time no one, really no one has any or ever had any food related deficiency. No one from that group (around 150) has diabetes or heart problems, one had cancer in the past five years. Almost all these vegans eat (vegan) fast foods on a regular basis, smoke, use drugs, drink.

the meat eaters, also around 150 people, many of them are obese (what is a heath risk), around 20-25 have diabetes, already had a few heart attacks (in the age of 40-50!!) around ten developed cancers like colon or bone cancer.

my own experience is one-on-on that of science.
So you know the medical history of the 300 people you know???

Sorry but... :lol:

Phil

Jolle wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 11:11
I really dare some of you to try it out. Go vegan for a month and feel your body change.
Thanks... but no thanks. :D I just love meat too much. I don't pretend or try to be living my life according to what some constitute as "healthier". I feel reasonably healthy, I do sport, but food, cooking and the enjoyment of it is just as part of "living" for me.

To be fair, I couldn't even date a girl that's strictly vegan. I do know some people who are; friends of friends, so I don't really get to see them that often (thank god) - but when I did, I got a taste of how complicated even the simplest dishes can become when catering to when even a single vegan is part of the group. Fair play to all those that are vegans - as long as you can find something to eat without compromising everyone else at the table, I don't have any issue at all. Sadly though, I have found that to be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to achieve.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Manoah2u

Lol like i said before, it's all fun and games thinking in numbers and 'static paperwork' like it's a math equation that you can sort out,
but repeat; i lived [ still do obviously] a thoroughly healthy lifestyle yet was diagnosed with thyroid cancer from all things, and the side
effects of a malfunctioning thyroid gland and then the effects of treatments are devastating causing all sorts of other problems.

i now have worse sight, my teeth have worsened (whilst all my life i have had seriously nearly indestructable dentals), if i do some heavy lifting
or workouts not only are my muscles excessively sore but i can feel it in my bones even, whilst i used to have a hard fitness regime and did some
serious lifting and a balance of fitness and body building. I used to run marathons like it's no sweat at all, now i can't go even a mile without getting
seriously fatigued, despite been labeled clean (ergo, fully free of any signs of cancer), having my thyroids working in the proper window, my blood values
are stable and good, and being only 32 years old.

i am young and healthy for crying out loud and i can't go a mile without nearly hitting the floor, despite eating healthy and before treatments (and getting sick)
i had a envious fitness regime.

i'm sure if some vegan lobbyist came around the corner they'd immediately pinpoint it to me eating meat.
just as i'm sure some anti-vegan would claim i got like that from being vegan (which i'm not, i just have meat-free days).

again it's as simple as people reaching 98 years in rather good health despite smoking like a chimney, drinking booze like it's orange juice, eating crappy foods,
and too lazy to even get a hint of sweat - and then there are fully healthy people that get a heart attack from clogged arteries at just 50 years old DESPITE living
life like a health guru.

people need to stop thinking in boxes to try and make some sense of it all.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Jolle wrote:
I really dare some of you to try it out. Go vegan for a month and feel your body change.
go to the gym for a month and feel your body change too.
and eat steaks and lots of eggs and grow like the rock and get all the girls at the same time.

beats going vegan any time.
i'd rather advise people to detox. that has much more effect and it's not even a real effort.

still, i know nobody will, because we all do what we do.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:

I’m a vegan for many years now, primary for the environment but also found that my skin is better, my stamina has improved, my hangovers are less severe, my bowels don’t have any “nasty time” anymore and more energy in general. I still do smoke, drink coffee, love beers, stressful business life, mortgage, kids, etc etc.
Did you have a balanced diet before becoming vegan?

I'm asking because its very common to see people doing similar claims, but once you ask they ate meat too often, poor fast food, no fruit... and after having some serious warning they become vegetarian/vegan with a lot of care about their diet and obviously their health improve... assuming that improvement has been due to stop eatting meat, when the improvement came from stop eating excessive meat and having a much more balanced diet, even withot meat

Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 18:35
Jolle wrote:

I’m a vegan for many years now, primary for the environment but also found that my skin is better, my stamina has improved, my hangovers are less severe, my bowels don’t have any “nasty time” anymore and more energy in general. I still do smoke, drink coffee, love beers, stressful business life, mortgage, kids, etc etc.

I'm asking because its very common to see people doing similar claims, but once you ask they ate meat too often, poor fast food, no fruit... and after having some serious warning they become vegetarian/vegan with a lot of care about their diet and obviously their health improve... assuming that improvement has been due to stop eatting meat, when the improvement came from stop eating excessive meat and having a much more balanced diet, even withot meat
I became vegan about 15 years ago on tour. I was touring with a NYHC band and we all ate together, so no... just the same 'old sex, drugs and rock'n roll but without the meat on my plate (or cheese for lunch) before the show. I'm a bit more of a boring house dad right now, but still love burgers (we have here in holland a wonderful burger called "the dutch weed burger", made with seaweed) plus I so do love pie and cakes... just without the eggs or milk.

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 18:32
Jolle wrote:
go to the gym for a month and feel your body change too.
and eat steaks and lots of eggs and grow like the rock and get all the girls at the same time.

beats going vegan any time.
i'd rather advise people to detox. that has much more effect and it's not even a real effort.

still, i know nobody will, because we all do what we do.
strangely....a lot of bodybuilders in this list...

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/athletes

broccoli and kale are two of the best and richest sources of protein without the downsides of the fat and hormones (and rich on fibers)

Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 19:29

strangely....a lot of bodybuilders in this list...

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/athletes

broccoli and kale are two of the best and richest sources of protein without the downsides of the fat and hormones (and rich on fibers)
More non-vegan bodybuilders and athletes than vegan, however.

I love broccoli and kale. I have one or both with steak, lamb, chicken or pheasant. =P~

I have some really simple vegan recipes which we have a few times a month. We don't eat them because they are vegan but because they are tasty. Same with meat. I eat what is good and tasty be it veg or animal. My problem is not whether meat, vegetables or anything else is good for me. My problem is portion control! #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tommy Cookers

this thread seems to be rather self-regarding .....

most people in Africa and many in Asia, to put it mildly .......
aspire to eat meat more often than they currently do, they know hunger and see meat eating as the embodiment of breakout from poverty

will Lewis preach the vegan gospel worldwide ?
will he tell the poor people that this is the white man's idea ?

btw the early Italian colonisation in East Africa introduced rinderpest (cattle disease) to Africa
causing indigenous starvation in pastoral regions, and an impression of vacancy convenient for the purposes of further colonisation

btw typically the 'developed world' has only had adequate protein for the last 60 years eg the population stature has grown greatly in that time
and my TV has just told me that old people need more protein as their bodies use it less efficiently

Jolle

Tommy Cookers wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 22:59
this thread seems to be rather self-regarding .....

most people in Africa and many in Asia, to put it mildly .......
aspire to eat meat more often than they currently do, they know hunger and see meat eating as the embodiment of breakout from poverty

will Lewis preach the vegan gospel worldwide ?
will he tell the poor people that this is the white man's idea ?

btw the early Italian colonisation in East Africa introduced rinderpest (cattle disease) to Africa
causing indigenous starvation in pastoral regions, and an impression of vacancy convenient for the purposes of further colonisation

btw typically the 'developed world' has only had adequate protein for the last 60 years eg the population stature has grown greatly in that time
and my TV has just told me that old people need more protein as their bodies use it less efficiently
And what do we do? Feed most of our very healthy and fine foods to animals to eat them, in a inefficient way. “Yeah but cows eat grass!!!”... only a very small portion. Most of the veg and beans grown go to livestock. Do the research yourself. Even in the most poor countries the crops go to animals that are sold to the west. A real sickening business. Or the rainforest. All for feeding livestock. Monsanto? All goes direct to livestock.

We as a world grow more then enough food to feed everybody two or three times. We just give it to cows and pigs instead so we can eat burgers. We need to feed around 7 billion people right now, we just can’t sustain this system anymore, there just isn’t enough land available.

void

J.A.W. wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 07:25
void wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 23:34
What can I do? I just won't invite Lewis for a barbecue anymore!
There are in fact, a number of vego-items that do go well on the barbie..
..like asparagus, tomato, courgette/zuchini & etc, inc' mushrooms - when suitably seasoned..

( Not really as total substitute for animal-based menu ingredients, but pleasant enough, as a side dish, IMO).
Here in Brazil, pineapple with sugar and cinnamon powder is a nice side dish in a barbecue. About Hamilton, is his choice and I respect it. I don't know why so hot discussion about this.

Andres125sx

SR71 wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 21:49
Andres125sx wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 18:35
Jolle wrote:

And your health continues to improve when you transition from balance meat intake to zero meat/dairy impact.

You get that simple point right?

There is zero science that's says we must eat meat.

Millions of vegans, like myself, prove that everyday.
So a moderate aswer publicly, but then you send me a PM with insults and saying a pharmacist is not a scientist and confusing a pharmacist with a pharmacological company and also saying I should be sterilized???

Wow that´s a two sided person... #-o

As I said in my PM, I really hope you´re just a teenager with so much to learn, otherwise you should visit a doctor. serisously

Just_a_fan

It seems that some vegans are like some religious people. Their way is the only way...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

J.A.W.

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 09:28
It seems that some vegans are like some religious people. Their way is the only way...
Zealots may well have some good ideas.. but actually pressing them home... can prove to be a tad problematic..
Such as this alcohol-avoidant/pro-vego/anti-smoker/proto-EU/pan-Germanic national leader.. politician from the 1930's..

http://www.zianet.com/web/nam.htm
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

santos

So... is this forum about Formula One?