Proximity Warning

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Re: Proximity Warning

krisfx wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 14:09

I'm sure in an ideal world you'd have time to react to a blind spot device, but I'm not sure in the heat of the moment it would even be fast enough. The crash in Singapore was over in seconds...
Less than a second in fact. But an average reaction time of a normal person in health is easily less than half a second, and for an F1 driver, quarter of a second or less would be considered quite ordinary I imagine. In this test for example, I score less than a quarter quite regularly. Granted, it's a little different than driving an F1 car :)
Last edited by Shrieker on 21 Sep 2017, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Jolle

Tip tip not to crash into someone like Vettel (or Rosberg in Spain): when you’re pretty sure your not the fastest guy on the piece or tarmac (he had a so-so getaway), don’t blindly cross the track to desperately block someone. Good chance you’re going to crash.
In both these cases they tried to cover their lack of speed. That is racing. With a pulp fiction quote: “He should of f*cking known better”

He took a stupid mistake and that will cost him the championship and that is racing too. Making less mistakes then your opponent is part of that.

marmer

End of the day vet knows cars start two by two. He had a bad start which means if max had a ok to good start he was always going to be in that area the only bit of the rules I would tighten up is cars lining up at an angle it often doesn't work looks daft and can be dangerous.

Phil

Shrieker wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 14:21
Less than a second in fact. But an average reaction time of a normal person in health is easily less than half a second, and for an F1 driver, quarter of a second or less would be considered quite ordinary I imagine. In this test for example, I score less than a quarter quite regularly. Granted, it's a little different than driving an F1 car :)
Reaction time for what?

Realizing what is happening?
Processing that information?
Deciding what to do?
Giving your finger muscle/hands the signal to do something?

Testing a little reaction timer in a browser is all nice and fine when you know what's about to happen and you're only testing one specific thing. How good is that same reaction time when something unpredictable happens and there are multiple things you could do to overcome them (e.g. not one single action)? Humans have a much smaller reaction ability when confronted with something unpredictable with multiple answers. E.g. suddenly an obstacle pops up ahead. Go left or right? What happens if going left or right poses additional obstacles? And in the sense of an F1 driver, how would going left or right mean in the sense of grip, racing line, control of the car etc? It's not as simple as pressing a button in the right moment...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Shrieker

Phil wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 13:55

As you say, the TCAS has precedent over anything else, but on this occasion, the pilot clearly didn't follow it.
Actually I learned the TCAS from this and the Flight 1907 from Brazil. In the case of the collision over Switzerland, air authorities had not yet issued directives regarding what takes precedence over what (ground vs TCAS); only after that accident the TCAS was declared as having priority over anything else.
Phil wrote:
what happened at Singapore (which I assume prompted this topic in the first place)
True. That, and spa 2012 (Grosjean vs Hamilton vs Alonso), Japan 2012 (Kimi vs Alonso), and some other crashes/contacts that I can't name just right now. We were robbed of an even better showdown in 2012 for example.
Phil wrote:
Vettel, it seemed, was going to chop to the left no matter what. Some would refer to this being a bullying tactic: "I am going to chop off your path - if you fail to back out, we will both crash". The whole point of such a maneuver is to force the other car at a disadvantageous position to yield.
True. This is just poor driving in regards to risk vs reward. What remains to be seen is tho, would he have given up on squeezing Max if he had a way of telling there was another car on the far inside ?
Phil wrote:
I am fairly confident that even if Vettel had the mental awareness or a tool such a system like the TCAS to see Kimi coming up from the inside, he still would have attempted to close the door.
Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that. Vettel might be aggressive, but he's not an idiot.

I'd also go on to say that the feasibility of such a system like the TCAS for F1 would be an impossibility. Why? Because the system is primitive. It can not know who is in the right or wrong etc. The cars and drivers are also too erratic. At speeds of 200kmh+ you are traveling at 55+ meters per second. Every two tenths, a meter. Sudden direction changes have a huge bearing on where your car will be half a second later on a track that is so narrow that it barely fits 4 cars side-by-side (best case).
Phil wrote:
Even if we have very simple proximity warning sensors or something; either they'd be so sensitive that they'd already be warning a driver if a car is sufficiently far away, or it only starts warning when it's too late. It just can't work. And why should it? The TCAS (in aerospace) is designed as a system that communicates with the TCAS of another plane, sorting out who is to do what. It just ain't possible in motorsport, not as long as these things happen within split seconds at high speeds on a very narrow track and every millimeter can determine the outcome between hero and fail.
I beg to differ. Maybe I should do an annotated video analysis to determine how much time the drivers had in order to react and prevent contact in some of the cases I had mentioned. The auto spotter in iracing works fairly well. Of course one of the the reasons it's incorporated into the game is the fact that side by side racing on a pc is difficult even with a triple monitor setup.

Post Singapore, there was some discussion on the Channel 5 (4?) broadcast with some people from Nascar that perhaps F1 should look into the idea of using spotters for drivers. But what may work on an oval, would probably not work on a normal F1 track and certainly not at the start where everything is rather unpredictable.
Phil wrote:
F1 is good as it is. The drivers have side-mirrors that give them a reasonable understanding on what is happening around them. Generally, I'd say the car doing a direction change has some responsibility to know if a car is along-side (or partially) and under no circumstances should crowd that car off the track. There are a few exceptions to this rule, namely corner exit because a driver may already be committed to a certain entry/exit speed and his trajectory given by those factors. This makes him more or less a "by-passenger", even in the event that an overtaking driver attempts to put his car in the closing space on corner exit. I'd also explicitly point out that in any circumstance, usually the car behind has a certain responsibility as a result of better coverage. You can't expect the car slightly ahead to have a perfect awareness of what is happening behind him. It's easier for the car behind to see what is happening before putting himself at risk. This however, as mentioned above, does not allow the "leading car" to do any kind of maneuver, especially when doing direction changes.
While I generally agree to your comments regarding overtaking and who should do what, I must add that for a sport that claims to be the pinnacle of motorsport technology I find it quite odd the only means of spatial awareness are mirrors, which have been proven to be deficient in that respect.
Phil wrote:
But apart from that? What more do you want to do? Micro managing every part of the sport will only lead to dull and predictable races.
Provide the drivers with extra awareness, so we get not stupid easily avoidable crashes but good, enjoyable, fair racing.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

@Phil,

Sheep dash isn't a very good demonstration, that much I agree. But F1 drivers can make incredibly quick decisions, and turning the wheel to the opposite side of trouble isn't so overly complicated, don't you agree ?
-Atatürk

Phil

Shrieker wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 15:24
I must add that for a sport that claims to be the pinnacle of motorsport technology I find it quite odd the only means of spatial awareness are mirrors, which have been proven to be deficient in that respect.
Just because it's the pinnacle of motorsport doesn't mean i want to see robots battling each other. We want the cars to be at the limit, but we don't want it to become a video game where a computer can make the best risk assessment. How boring would that be? I want the driver to make that risk assessment himself, with the information he has at any given moment. If that information is limited to the limited view through a small side-mirror, so be it. It's the same for everyone.

And just to get back to your TCAS system: How do you propose such a system to work? By audible signal? Beep if someone is on collision course? A single beep can never convey what is about to happen, e.g. is someone simply driving parallel to you, but close, or actually on a collision path. But even if someone is on a theoretical collision path, there are various degrees of severity to take into account. So a simple audible signal is not enough. If you follow this thought for a moment, you'll quickly realize that a system that helps would probably extend to some display showing the relative positioning of cars (like a parking assistance) and I'm not confident a driver would actually have the time to look at that in the heat of the moment. Or he would, only to then crash later because he had his eyes and concentration in the wrong place. Might as well make the sport remote controlled where everyone has a birds-eye-view of what's happening...

I'll stand by my reasoning that what happens on a narrow track at over 55 meters per second is too unpredictable for any electronic system to foresee and warn the driver coherently and in enough time for it to make a difference to the outcome.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Shrieker

I insist on my point that a simple "three wide" warning to the drivers could've prevented what happened. On other occasions too (Spa '12, Suzuka '12 eg.) I don't see how that's got anything to do with robots. Let's just agree to disagree then.
-Atatürk

i70q7m7ghw

Trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist with more pointless gimmicks. There was 1 driver that was too aggressive and caused a crash. Pretty much everyone in the paddock agrees it was Vettel, I think even Vettel agrees it was Vettel! I have no doubt he's learnt his lesson this time and probably won't do it again, problem solved, case closed, no gimmicks needed

Tim.Wright

why would you want to introduce yet another active system that replaces a component of driver skill?
Not the engineer at Force India

thisisatest

All they need is bigger mirrors. Stable ones.

Shrieker

Tim.Wright wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 20:51
why would you want to introduce yet another active system that replaces a component of driver skill?
I don't want to sound smug (am not) or sh!t, but I think I've written it two times already in this thread. It was physically impossible for the drivers on either side of Max Verstappen to see that there was another car on the far side. Their view was blocked by Max's car...
-Atatürk

TAG

In Baku, a system such as this would have prevented Vettel driving along side of Hamilton and hitting him. :P
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

WaikeCU

Phil wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 18:00
People are just frustrated when their driver of choice has a shunt. But the drama is what makes it such a spectacle sometimes.
Exactly and spatial awareness is a skill that the best drivers all have:

Why would you take a skill away from the driver?

Shrieker

WaikeCU wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 21:41

Why would you take a skill away from the driver?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26698&start=30#p719616
-Atatürk