Bodywork regulation changes from WMSC meeting 21/09/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jjn9128

Re: Bodywork regulation changes from WMSC meeting 21/09/2017

Squid wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 23:21
Count me in those that will be glad if the shark fin goes away. Making a shark fin look good is hard, and most teams get it horribly wrong. I rather not have them than have the eyesores that McLaren and Williams made.
This to me sums up the issue with the 2017 (to 2020) regulations. You cannot regulate for aesthetics - and the only brief was 'faster' more 'aggressive' looking cars. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am among many who actually quite like the shark fins but don't really like the clutter of the front wings and bargeboards (even as an aerodynamicist!!), I don't think anyone likes the T-wing/coat hanger/TV antennae.

There's always hope for 2021. If anyone can watch it.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

marmer

while it might be there for safety i would like to see the air intake moved to the side pods would make cars look very sleek

jjn9128

marmer wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 16:15
while it might be there for safety i would like to see the air intake moved to the side pods would make cars look very sleek
Engine cover isn't a safety feature. It'd be simple enough to replace it with a roll hoop, especially with forced induction. The engine cover has the minimum size in sideview for sponsor coverage, same reason the front and rear wing endplates are so big - also the reason the cooling chimneys and louvres were banned for 2009. Team principals want/need to sell space on the car.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

DiogoBrand

I'm glad they banned the T-Wing, because it's impossible to make that look good. But they could've left the shark fin in my opinion.