Webber and penalty

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Webber and penalty

I was reading on the ITV website and they had this to write about williams and marc webber....

Sam Michael made a rather unfortunate point after the race – Williams only seem to break down when they’re competitive.

In Malaysia, Melbourne and Monaco, Mark Webber has had hydraulic or exhaust failures while en route to a podium finish.

When Williams are mediocre, like in Imola, the car is perfectly reliable and they finish somewhere boring like sixth.

It is important not to underestimate Webber’s qualifying performance. Fuel-corrected, he would have been on pole position.

To add salt to the wounds, Mark’s engine was on its first race, and because of the resulting fire damage, will almost certainly need to be changed before Silverstone, handing Webber a 10-place grid penalty before the weekend even begins.

I thought since this was in the race, he would get a new engine without 10 place grid penalty?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild

Re: Webber and penalty

m3_lover wrote:I thought since this was in the race, he would get a new engine without 10 place grid penalty?
I'm sure there will be no penalty.

vyselegend

Yes I had understood that if the engine does not finish the race, be it dammaged or not, it could be changed without penality.
Didn't JPM and MS change their engines after Melbourne? I'm pretty sure they did, but in the two cases, engines hadn't blown. That said, I don't remember if they weren't already on their second GP with it back then, so maybe it's not the best exemple...

m3_lover

just wierd for ITV to get it wrong.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

zac510

The engine could still be OK as it was only the wiring and exhaust that failed and that stuff can be changed as I understand.

Although you wouldn't want to risk it in another race when you can use a new engine for no penalty.

Here is a photo:
http://www.f1total.com/bilder/zoom.php? ... &d=4&b=076

mcderd

if a driver fails to finish a race then they can change their engine without penalty.

best example of this when button stood on the brakes to stop before the line when his engine blew on the last corner. by not finishing the race he avoided the 10 place penalty...
yOu'Re CrAzY, gEt OfF tHe RoAd