Williams and Toyota

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vyselegend

Williams and Toyota

Since the Spannish GP, there are rumors that Williams and Cosworth could divorce at the end of the season, and that Toyota are eager to provide engines to the team.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16848.html

I found the arguments advanced here quite surrealist, Toyota would be motivated to be motorist for Williams because they fear to be beaten by a customer team. sounds a little childish, plus I don't see where is the shame for a five years old team to be beaten by such a name as Williams, even with budget in mind...
But on the other hand, if Cosworth engines keep up blowing, I wouldn't be surprised that Williams decide to split ways, as they know long terms developpement will be an issue for Cosworth. If really developpement is a lot slower for them than their competitors, they should have started with a reliable basis, even if that meant being less ambitious performance wise.

manchild

There was topic about this before but let me repeat that I really don't see why would Toyoya spend 400.000.000 for their own team and risk to be beaten by Williams. No one would risk that especially Japanese. Toyota has already spent too much with no result and having Williams beating them with their own engines would lead to harakiri. There is no love and respect when 400 mil is in question.

viewtopic.php?t=1536&highlight=lexus

NickT

I wonder if Frank and Patrick's willingness to concider Toyota has anything to do with the rumours that Red Bull might be purchasing Cosworth :?:
NickT

m3_lover

I was reading that, if Toyota does not give the engines, that Williams will be looking at Hondo for some fresh engines.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild

Williams & Honda - never again (at least while Sir Frank Williams is team boss).

f1.redbaron

NickT wrote:I wonder if Frank and Patrick's willingness to concider Toyota has anything to do with the rumours that Red Bull might be purchasing Cosworth :?:
Doubt it. Williams/Toyota rumor had been going around since last year. Actually, if I remember correctly, it started just around the time when BMW decided to purchase Sauber. There was even a speculation that Toyota wanted to start the partnership in 2006 but because of prior commitments (Midland), they couldn't.

Believe it or not, I've read the rumor that Toyota would be willing to supply the engines for free in exchange for Nico Rosberg.

johny

fi.redbaron wrote:Believe it or not, I've read the rumor that Toyota would be willing to supply the engines for free in exchange for Nico Rosberg
wow silly season at his best! :lol: i find it a great deal for williams

m3_lover

f1.redbaron wrote:
NickT wrote:I wonder if Frank and Patrick's willingness to concider Toyota has anything to do with the rumours that Red Bull might be purchasing Cosworth :?:
Doubt it. Williams/Toyota rumor had been going around since last year. Actually, if I remember correctly, it started just around the time when BMW decided to purchase Sauber. There was even a speculation that Toyota wanted to start the partnership in 2006 but because of prior commitments (Midland), they couldn't.

Believe it or not, I've read the rumor that Toyota would be willing to supply the engines for free in exchange for Nico Rosberg.
The one rumour I heard, is that Lewis Hamilton will go to Williams if Nico Rosberg would be able to go to Mclaren. I wonder who starts all these rumours hahahah
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

f1.redbaron

Probably their agents in a desperate bid to get as much money as possible.

tf1
tf1

Or maybe a different set of new drivers will be hired by Williams as a result. :) Wait and see but grandprix.com has some very good insight into what is happening behind the scenes in f1. Especially that mole guy.

kkobayash

manchild wrote:Williams & Honda - never again (at least while Sir Frank Williams is team boss).
why is that?? did they have some problems before or something?

Just wondering, cos didnt Frank say, when they were parting ways with BMW, that with Honda they had one of the best reliability records and went downhill from there once BMW cam e on board??

Anyways, just curious.

manchild

Well, Honda was supplying Williams with engines in the '80s and than after Sir Frank Williams had accident that disabled him Honda pulled back saying something like "disabled person can't run team". That is why Williams even as top team was forced to use Judd engines in 1988 but soon after that bounced back with Renault and even forced Honda to switch from V12 to V10. What Honda did was personal insult and I'm sure that Sir Frank Williams will never partner Honda again.

PNSD

Just a thought, but would TF really want to supply a team who would out perform them? Atm they are fairly matched, but well you have to say Williams are the better team.

Its abit embarrasing really.

tf1
tf1

Why do people like to rag on Toyota so much? This is literally only their fourth full season in F1. Yeah Toyota has spent a lot but compared to how much teams like williams and ferrari have spent over the last several decades, it isn't much. I think the right people are gradually filtering into the correct positions and it's really just a matter of time.

As far as racing goes, it's all just marketing. If Williams wins with say a Lexus badged engine, it's still good marketing for Toyota.

m3_lover