Williams and Toyota

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vyselegend

By the way it is written, it sounds they are sure of their informations. The big question now is what will happen to Cosworth?..
If Red Bull don't buy it, all the efforts made by the british motorist have been made for nothing. All that investisment for a one year come back only, it's a shame!

Moreover, I don't understand why Red Bull would buy them, it's like a return to square zero, and I think they have a long term deal with Ferrari, which is important for Ferrari politicaly-wise. Having knowlege of cossie's engines wouldn't be of great help too, because they only ran the V10 so far. Even if the purchase includes data aquisition of this year V8, it would turn out to another year "lost" to develop a new package.

m3_lover

If Red Bull bought Cosworth, I think that would be great. They would be another team that makes there own engine and chassis, (I.E Renault, Ferrari, Toyotai and Honda are the only teams). Do not forget, Red Bull has huge coffers, and the new additions to there team, if they bought it would be a win win situation. But again that is My opinion and your points are good too vyselend.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

Problem is in fact that Red Bull isn't chassis manufacturer and even if they buy Cosworth they won't become engine manufacturers. They'll remain big energy drink manufacturer that advertises by spending a lot of money.

I dare to say that in less than 3 years they won’t be in F1 as well as Toyota. With Renault, Mclaren, Ferrari and Williams present no one new has a chance to beat those teams and win WDC or WCC. Red Bull's and Toyota's only chance to win WCC or WDC was if Renault withdrew as well as Mercedes with Ferrari having bad car (which isn't the case).

jgredline

Here in the states Toyota is spending tons of money in Nascar and tons of other race series so when they pulled out of the IRL 1 year early because they were getting there lunch handed to them by Honda, (and its showing more now to see how well Penske and Ganasi are going with Honda power)
my first thought was that F1 is next. They will be gone in a few years. I do believe that the Toyota will be in a Williams next year and Williams will return back to winning ways. Infact they will win before Toyota does. Toyota needs to win even if its in a Wiliams. Frank would love nothing more than to beat Honda with a Toyota as they have a long standing fued.

As for Red Bull, they are here to stay.
With all the people they have in place and boat loads of Money, they will be here. I could also see them buying Cosworth especially if the IRL and Cart get back together as Cosworth will not be needed in the states anylonger and will be able to focus more man power and money in F1.
To finish first, first you must finish.

vyselegend

m3_lover wrote:If Red Bull bought Cosworth, I think that would be great. They would be another team that makes there own engine and chassis, (I.E Renault, Ferrari, Toyotai and Honda are the only teams)
I see your point. This is true, it would turn in a new independant team (from a manufacturing point) in the paddock, which is a good thing. But I tend to agree with manchild that spending money is not enough a move to title you as an "engine manufacturer". It's all advertissment.
It's hard to explain exactly what differs between big F1 names like Renault (buying Benneton) or BMW (Sauber) or Honda (BAR) and Red Bull (buying Jaguar and now Cosworth) but we all know Renault, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes and Ferrari are car manufacturers, and Red Bull, Pepsi, Coke and Orangina are drinks manufacturer...
It's not just a matter of names, but the philosophy you bring with this name. Car manufacturers are engaged in a war to prove who's the better (ie as a car manufacturer!), along with big F1 names as Williams or Mac Laren to spice things and make the game credible. Others are just small fish doing interferences in the game. OK it's maybe a form of segregation from me, but that's how I feel it...

NickT

The word from Japan is that Williams will soon sign a three-year deal to use Toyota engines in Formula 1. The stories suggest that the team will be paying a nominal fee for the Cologne-built V8s
For Toyota there is little to lose from the deal as winning with Williams or winning with its own team is much the same thing, if one looks at F1 from a big picture perspective. It will also help to motivate Panasonic Toyota Racing to do a better job. Our spies in Japan say that the deal will see the engines badged as Lexus V8s, a move that makes a great deal of sense from a marketing point of view.
Source http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16913.html

This makes a lot of sense knowing Toyota's mentality, which has been discussed indepth here viewtopic.php?p=30766#30766
NickT

jgredline

To finish first, first you must finish.

furnik28
furnik28

i hope last nights stack didnt strain there engine deal what was scott speed trying to do.
rok