British GP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

I am trying to help here with the Technical Updates section, until summer arrives. All modifications as observed in Monaco. :wink: :

* Toyota TF106B changes position of pushrod connected to torsion bars and dampers:

Old position:

New position:

* Williams FW28 uses triple wing on top of engine cover

If anyone likes the "find the seven differences game", I guess you could post here what is new for Silverstone.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 08 Jun 2006, 18:41, edited 2 times in total.
Ciro

NickT

Thanks Ciro :wink:
NickT

m3_lover

THe triple winglets were mentioned on the F1 website :) under there technical analysis section
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tom

A picture in autosport today (can't find the page) shows a Renault with an unusual nose, definetly not this years and I don't think its the '05 one either. Testing pics from Spain show the 2006 nose. Any answers?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Principessa

Tom

will it spur Jaques on to a win though?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Jason

Tom wrote:will it spur Jaques on to a win though?
Let's see if it will make him qualify in the top-10 first.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

On the renault, the little winglet aft of the chimney no longer has slits cut on the side, in which it had two previously. Nice paint job, though.
On the Toyota, the side plates before the sidepod inlets have changed from an "L" to an oval, larger in size. There was three winglets on the top of the airbox in Monaco, also swept back. One has been removed, and now there are two winglets, but strangely, in line horizontally, one behind the other.
Williams have followed suit, going from two to one winglet on the airbox.
The rear wing of the Honda is now more complex, no longer a straight section, but now with a complex curvature.

Principessa

Amazing that Alonso is on pole again! And nice performance of Kimi Raikkonen as well! You also have to say that Jacques Villeneuve and Nick Heidfeld both did a great job in their BMW Sauber's.

Too bad for Trulli that he had to retire so soon, without setting a fast lap. Mark Webber and Jenson Button will be very disappointed as well. Especially Button since it is his home Grand Prix.

Can't wait for the race tomorrow :wink:

dcdabest
dcdabest

I wonder why the McLarens' first sector times were consistently (throughout all sessions) worse than renault and ferrari's. Is it aerodynamic efficiency or the engine or both? The first sector in silverstone is very high-speed, where there is only one acceleration event (onto the Hangar straight) so I would have thought the performance of the engine would have a small effect on sector time. In the qualifying press conference Kimi complained of a lack of speed on the straights but didn't say why.

I hope we see a good race!
Im thinking of all the li'l starving Africans...

manchild
manchild

Fisichella +0.666 :twisted:

:roll:

hakkinen666
hakkinen666

Mclaren's First Sector

Hi, I also thought that it was due to the Merc engine that Mclaren was so slow in the first sector, Ron Dennis explained that they've been having problems getting the tyres up to temperature, so they keep lacking grip throughout the first part of the lap, definitely Mclaren have made a lot of progress lately, it seems that they've finally come up with the new suspension Pedro de la Rosa kept talking about that would give them an edge over the rest, although I guess it just might be a bit too little too late for getting the championship.

Another interesting thing is that their new wings don't seem to be making the grade, Kimi's not even using that package and JPM seems quite adrift on the timesheets both at Monaco and here at Silvertone, it looks as if the gamble hasn't paid off for Mclaren and Montoya

Lightspeed

It seems like the Bridgestone made tyres blew it for Ferrari and the remaining B'stone runners, while an antogonastic argument is applicable for the Michelin's.

jgredline

Re: Mclaren's First Sector

hakkinen666 wrote:Hi, I also thought that it was due to the Merc engine that Mclaren was so slow in the first sector, Ron Dennis explained that they've been having problems getting the tyres up to temperature, so they keep lacking grip throughout the first part of the lap, definitely Mclaren have made a lot of progress lately, it seems that they've finally come up with the new suspension Pedro de la Rosa kept talking about that would give them an edge over the rest, although I guess it just might be a bit too little too late for getting the championship.

Another interesting thing is that their new wings don't seem to be making the grade, Kimi's not even using that package and JPM seems quite adrift on the timesheets both at Monaco and here at Silvertone, it looks as if the gamble hasn't paid off for Mclaren and Montoya

I did not realize they were both using diffreant wing packages.
Can you or someone give more info on that?
Thanks
To finish first, first you must finish.

Ciro Pabón

You could explain McLaren shortcomings or you could analyze Renault characteristics that explain why they dominated this morning. Fisichella was a massive 0.6 seconds behind Alonso, and Montoya is 0.7s behind Raikkönen.

Honda has a fast car too but it is Rubens Barrichello "worst" qualifying in the last five races. The explanations I have heard about Jenson Button worst qualifying slot since July 2003 move around lack of strategy and the conservative spirit of Jenson, compounded by the fear inspired by strong cheering. Button, lacking the

Ferrari is dominant and only Renault quick adaptation to regulations prevents them from another 2004 season. Michael Schumacher speculations about the fuel on board, as usual trying to establish himself as the best pilot, are contradicted by the spectacular times of Felipe Massa, a pilot that shines only now.

Ralf Schumacher is a good pilot and Toyota is a good car. This is enough to explain the good grid position: good instead of extraordinaire.

Both BMW have a good chance of ending in the same lap as the winner, but I have heard Thiessen stating last year this was about his goal. Nothing like low expectations to have a happy boss.

Nico Rosberg showed he is really good edging Webber by the slightest of margins in a bad first qualyfing stint I never suspected of a Williams at home. British fans at least can expect a better day tomorrow.
Ciro