Has Frank Williams lost it?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kilcoo316

Has Frank Williams lost it?

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=120208
Sir Frank Williams told the Guardian. "There is no doubt in my mind that Jenson is a superb driver with the ability to win races and challenge for a world championship. He almost never makes a mistake, has magnificent car control and is almost in Michael Schumacher's class when it comes to sheer all-round talent."

Seriously... Button barely deserves to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Schu Snr! [I reckon even Manchild wouldn't have much of a problem with that]

This is the driver that would have been lapped by his team-mate if said team-mate had not encurred a drive-through penalty. :shock:

Button has been in F1 6 years now (including this one) and is yet to win a race, or even look like winning one. By this stage Schu Snr had won 2 championships, moved to ferrari, won three races in the dog of a F310 and was giving Villeneuve a hard time in the 1997 championship with what is openly admitted to be vastly inferior machinery.

RH1300S

Let's not compare him to Schumacher - we will open up a whole new load of pro/anti-MS vitriol ;)

Nahh....Frank hasn't lost it. He is probably better placed than most to make that kind of call.....so, listen up.

On THE OTHER HAND - FW is famously patriotic and Jense is notably NOT a foreigner :D Speaking as an F1 fan I see JB as someone who has some astounding races, is very very fast - yet even allowing for the car excuses where is the hard evidence that he is " extra special"?

manchild

I think SFW was just comparing talents - not results.

NickT

manchild wrote:I think SFW was just comparing talents - not results.
Have to agree, unfortunately until he is a competitive car we are not going to find out for sure. But I am pretty sure he will definately be one of the fastest guys when the driver aids vanish in 2008, he is just soooo smooooooth :wink:
NickT

DaveKillens

Don't forget Sir Frank received a handsome cash payoff for release of Mr Button. So he was worth a lot of money to Sir frank, many millions. It would be politically foolish to have received millions for compensation of his "talent" and to later trash the driver.

f1.redbaron

I might be over-analyzing, but is there a chance that he's hinting that he won't be keeping either Nico or Mark? Basically, he's saying that if Button decides to come back, Frank Williams would take him. Perhaps, over any other driver?

Does anybody know how many years are left in Button's Honda contract. If I remeber correctly, there was a talk about a 5-year/$90 million contract, but that seems like a lot.

joseff

You know, every single time the subject of Jenson Button's performance is brought up, I remember:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Amon

His career seems to be dogged with as many, maybe even more mechanical failure than JB's.

Chris Amon: 108 starts, 11 podiums, 5 poles, 0 wins
Jenson Button: 107 starts, 13 podiums, 3 poles, 0 wins

[/url]

jaslfc

there is some truth to wat fw is saying.. if u noticed buttons career.. he has either matched or beaten his teamated consistently and he hardly makes mistakes... He is known as a smooth driver and he seems to be very cool and calm. But until recently there has been too much external influences in his life. first was the money and how he was distracted by his various toys and lifestyle. Then he changed and was more motivated. Next was the buttongate saga that was a huge distraction. and lets not forget the pressure by the british media. He has not proven himself yet as a true great but this 2-3 seasons he got left in honda he gotta do something or else he may soon disapear

Ciro Pabón

You can not say somebody "loses it" when he is racing in F1... because to enter F1 you have to "have lost it" to begin with. :D
Ciro

Vasco

Jenson has constantly outperformed his team mates and I actually think that he does have some genuine speed. His consistency at producing thoses speeds is the only problem.

King of Spades

If I recall correctly, Fisichella thrashed him back in the Benetton days.
3rd year student, reading Aeronautical Engineering to Masters level at Loughborough University, UK.

A proud Maxthon user since 02-Oct-2005

מלך של עלהים

Tom

I always thougth he wad overrated and the media punished him for it, I really hope this doesn't happen to Nicko!
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.