And the new World Champion is....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vEddY

Scuderia_Russ wrote:When you have two drivers lapping at vastly different speeds (one at race speed the other touring and trying to stay out of the way) the odd accident is bound to happen!
Not to be the devil's advocate here, but in a way, this is EXACTLY what happened with Scot Speed and Kimi Raikonnen in front of my very eyes at Hungaroring on Sunday. I was standing 50 meters away when that happened. What Speed did was stoopid to say the least! This was a clear case of a driver ahead lapping a slow driver while slow driver stepped on the brake without any sense and logic. What happened? Kimi went of with a BIG BANG and Pedro De La Rosa gained a position, although he could've seriously damage his car.
So, what should the punishment for Speed be, having in mind that he did that in the RACE, not in qualy/practice sessions?
Check out my website at http://it-review.net - stay up to date with hardware, software, and other IT-related things.

johny

it was luzzi, and it wasn't a stupid move IMO, he just let kimi pass and it wasn't a dangerous place but kimi was also looking at the mirrors. Just a race incident, kimi said that

vEddY

johny wrote:it was luzzi, and it wasn't a stupid move IMO, he just let kimi pass and it wasn't a dangerous place but kimi was also looking at the mirrors. Just a race incident, kimi said that
Sorry, yup, you're right, it was Liuzzi. But race accident, my ass. When you pass a backmarker, he should move from your line, like most of backmarkers do. Not step on the brake on a damn straight, on a racing line! That was some seriously dangerous driving.
Last edited by vEddY on 09 Aug 2006, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my website at http://it-review.net - stay up to date with hardware, software, and other IT-related things.

johny

no, they shouldn't move off the racing line, sometimes it's more dangerous to do that so most times they just lift like luzzi did

vEddY

johny wrote:no, they shouldn't move off the racing line, sometimes it's more dangerous to do that so most times they just lift like luzzi did
I think you are way, way wrong. But even if it weren't so, the track was damp as hell, rain was falling, and where's the logic in the fact that you should pass a backmarker off the racing line (dirty, even more water) if you're challenging for a win in these circumstances? Isn't it more logical the other way around - backmarker moves away, lifts a little bit therefore he doesn't crash out of the race, Kimi and Pedro hit the gas and move on?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not so big Kimi/McL fan (only if he switches to Ferrari next year), but that was very, very dangerous move by Liuzzi. I only said this to have an example to compare the same situation in a race and in the free practice. How in the hell is a free practice a place to GET penalty (2s for Alonso), and the race, where it's up to max, hit the gas, when it really counts, isn't? Liuzzi should have been punished post-race. In a same way that Alonso was (I'm not saying he should have a 2s penalty, I'm talking about principle). Bare in mind that Alonso didn't crash with Dornboos, while Liuzzi's driving WAS a direct cause of Kimi's crash and the SC period.

RH1300S

I saw that as a racing incident. Luizi lifted in a place that was quite reasonable - Kimi would have taken the inside line for the next corner. The truth came from Kimi's mouth - he was honest enough to say he wasn't fully paying attention - he was looking to let DLR past at the same time.

Just a mix up........but shows very clearly the speed these cars travel at, just a little lift and a split second later - boommm :wink:

And yes, I agree Luizi could have been a little brighter than he was.....but it was partly down to Kimi too.

Just one of those things

Ciro Pabón

Kimi is blind.
Ciro

DaveKillens

I just can't see where Luizi was responsible. He was the slower car, and definitely trying to find a way to allow the two McLarens past him. And in the rain, just what the heck is the correct racing line? If you consider that the line the cars take when it's dry is the slipperiest part when it rains, then the appropriate racing line for the wet is away from the tire, oil, and grease buildup.
As well, in racing it's the responsibility of the passing car to make it happen. Just as long as the lead car gives them room and opportunity, then there's no fault. And Luizi definitely was giving Kimi the room and opportunity to get past. But Kimi was watching his mirror, and just made a mistake.

mcdenife

Its difficult to comment on this without having to apportion blame, but though I see it as a racing incident, you have to question Luizi lifting just after a corner. Further along the straight would have been better (or perhaps more appropriate). I prefer to put it down to a racing incident. Luizi thought he was being helpful. Kimi not expecting him to lift off there decided this was a good time/place to check his mirrors and was not looking.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Saribro

mcdenife wrote:you have to question Luizi lifting just after a corner. Further along the straight would have been better (or perhaps more appropriate).
My thoughts exactly. It's much easier to change your line on a straight then all of a sudden having to take a corner sharper than usual, and onto a wet part with less grip to boot. An odd choice from Liuzzi, momentary laps in forward attention from Kimi, unideal track conditions, eh voila, instant accident.

saam

This would have been a different issue had KIMI been racing for the championship, there would have been people saying that ferrari told luizzi to crash out KIMI.

A driving accident and they were both partly to blame... We have to keep in mind that KIMI is the more experienced driver here...
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

Scuderia_Russ

manchild wrote:
Scuderia_Russ wrote:
pyry wrote:http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/2131/fadbase3.jpg
this totally cracked me up :D
:D
:roll:
:roll: Gimme a break Manchild, like you wouldn't all be shouting about it if that was a red car!!!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

pyry

Ciro Pabón wrote:Kimi is blind.
at least thats an excuse for his behaviour, but blindness doesnt even begin to account alonsos weekend or his moves in barcelona
four rings to rule them all

f1.redbaron

vEddY wrote: I think you are way, way wrong. But even if it weren't so, the track was damp as hell, rain was falling, and where's the logic in the fact that you should pass a backmarker off the racing line (dirty, even more water) if you're challenging for a win in these circumstances? Isn't it more logical the other way around...
I thought the same thing. But, it looks that we were wrong. The way it was explained to us, the viewers, is that when on wet tires, you need to go on the wet surface. That is what the tires were designed for and that is where they should go. Watching the race, it was not very hard to notice some of the drivers looking for water on purpose (especially down the straight).

So, if Liuzzi was to move off the dry surface to allow Kimi to go there, Kimi would be forced to put his tires on the surface for which they were not designed for, destroying them needlessly!

manchild

Scuderia_Russ wrote::roll: Gimme a break Manchild, like you wouldn't all be shouting about it if that was a red car!!!
If it was a red car (number 5) than capiton would be appropriate :mrgreen: