qualifying

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MRE
MRE

qualifying

:evil: Recently we can see a lot of incident occur during the new format of qualifying system. I think this new system only bring in a more hanky panky to team. Drivers can block the other, the slower driver only the problem on the track altough we have a knock out system. I don;t think so this is the way to gain more crowd to watch qualifying. Like the old system, one-by-one driver will make their lap. They can push like crazy and use every inch of the track. This is fair. Fair to all team and driver. One more thing is f1 is getting old and I know a lot of fan has turn their back on this sport. The new regulations only confusing and make thing difficult. Cut cost is good but what price we could pay for the joy of million fan all over the world whom want to see this sport run smoothly and FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! without the MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as priorities.
formula one

DaveKillens

The new system cannot guarantee total fairness for everyone or anyone, that's obvious. But usually, the best do get to the front of the grid. And the old system of one at a time was as boring as could be.
Personally, this is the most entertaining system I have seen in years. It has drama, strategy, and it has turned Saturday's qualifying into something worth watching.

andyF1

I have worked in F1 for close to 15years, I loved the original 1hr go for it session but in more modern times the top teams were saving Engine / tyres by only running a few laps and then only in the last 15mins.

I understood the need for a change to provide action for both the fans at the track and more importantly, in my job, for TV but the single lap qualifying was really boring!

At the moment the new system is definitely an improvement but I feel there is still room for improvement.

Of course any format will be exploited by teams in some way, be it blocking on the track or waiting till the last mins to do fast runs.

It may not be long until Friday becomes just an all day test session with unlimited car / drivers and laps. Leaving the actual GP just 2 days. This in itself would be a radical change but allow the FIA to ban testing at tracks between GP's and thus allow Mr E to increase the number of GP's!

Ciro Pabón

Yes, it is a spectacle. Precisely. But I understand why a lot of people do not like real drama: they want the subtleties to be dispensed off and they are waiting for "big screen" things to happen.

I did not find anything boring in the "old style" qualification.

Actually, I found it the best way to judge a pilot.

Now, it is the best way to judge a team, because now it is "spectacular", which means "for the spectators".
Ciro