114 races ??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

C'mon, guys, you can argue if the sun shines.

Jenson finally took the piano out of his shoulders. But he did not do it by dominating the race... this is what the human beings of planet Earth mean when they say unanimously that HE WAS LUCKY!

I guess you needed a meteorite to fall on the grid, leaving only the Toro Rosso and the Hondas able to race, to declare he had luck.

We only hope he keeps the yellow underwear and the rabbit foot keyring for the next race. Hey, it's not that bad to be lucky. Strike. :)
Ciro

pyry
pyry

Tp wrote:Being the best driver of the day with the best package and the team to help, won him the race - these are essentials that win a grand prix. The other drivers mentioned (Alonso, Kimi, Schumacher etc...) at some point didn't have one of those listed so they didn't win.

Jenson in my opinion had all of them, he was a good enough driver to keep it on the track as well as being fast, the tyres suited the conditions at the time, the car was fast, the strategy was good, the pitstops were clean, so he won.
actually its being the best luck/driver/package combination that gets you the win. i highly doubt he was the best driver AND best package, if you get my point. it does also debet his win that 3 top contenders DNF, and many others had major trouble. luck was the key factor to this win, look at it anyway you want. he drove well and maybe deserved the win, but there are deffinately drivers out there whod have deserved it more. and the speculation goes both ways, the british commentators are counting ifs in the millions. "if only the four cars in front had crashed, jenson would have won, bad luck again for jenson" they also counted that jenson would have won the four first races had he only been on better strategy, also bad luck again :D
four rings to rule them all

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Well Schumacher was already out of the contention for the win, Alonso was well within Button's grasp before he retired, the only real rival was Kimi and considering how close him and Pedro were running before the crash and where Button finished compared to Pedro he could have been challenging Kimi as well...

Kimi crashed into a backmarker, Alonso's wheel nut broke, Micheal's tyres were useless, how is that anything to do with luck? Maybe if Jenson drove round the track with his eyes closed and won you could call it luck. Jenson won because he DIDNT crash into a backmarker, his wheel nut DIDNT break, he WASNT on the bridgestone tyres... How does that have anything to do with luck?

pyry
pyry

are you an idiot? three people who make mistakes next to nothing all have a problem or make mistakes at the same time, and that isnt luck? you dont consider a situation in which under normal circumstances youd have finished 6th or 7th you win? of course not. it was all jensons amazing abilities, nothing to do with luck
four rings to rule them all

Scuderia_Russ

Sawtooth-spike wrote:Luck???
Look at this way, how many times did he spin off????
More to the point, how many times does he ever spin off?!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Tom

This is a ridiculous argument that will never be resolved. Jenson won because of luck and skill. He had luck in that Alonso's car failed and Bridgestone tyres where not as good (skill on the tyre manufacturers part) also Kimi's accident was lucky for him, however he showed skill by not spinning off the race track and not coming together with other drivers, he also drove consistantly fast laps so he deserved that win and although I doubted him before I think he will go on to win more.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Jenson's car, ability and strategy was superior to anyone elses at Budapest otherwise he wouldn't have won... end of...

You could say that Jenson was lucky that Kimi and Alonso retired, but their retirements were not down to luck... Kimi crashed into the back of someone elses car... how is that luck??? Maybe if a freak rock fell out of the sky and destroyed Kimi's car, that would have been luck... Alonso's wheel nut broke, how is that luck? Renault should have made better wheel nuts... Honda's didnt fail...

Would you say Alonso's victory at the Nurburgring last year was down to luck???

Tom

Alonso's driveshaft failed, not the wheel nut!

It was his own fault for going to quick out the pits (watch him spinning the wheels again) perhaps but in the end you need luck and skill to win. You can't have one without the other. Jenson had both. End of.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild
manchild

It was nut. Pat Symonds said so. It got demaged when it was taken off because safety lock got jammed so nut couldn't be fastened properly. They are changing current nut/safety lock system for race in Turkey.
Last edited by manchild on 08 Aug 2006, 02:36, edited 2 times in total.

manchild
manchild

It was nut. Pat Symonds said so. It got demaged when it was taken off because safety lock got jammed so nut couldn't be fastened properly. They are changing current system for race in Turkey.

Sorry for double post, site was slow a bit. :oops:
Last edited by manchild on 08 Aug 2006, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

ginsu
ginsu

That was most certainly a wheel nut. The wheel does not 'flop about' when the driveshaft breaks. The driveshaft wouldn't affect the orientation of the wheel on the hub, so that was just a coverup (very timely, I might add) to spare some embarassment for the pit crew.
I love to love Senna.

NickT

It was a nut, one of the slow mo replays showed the nut parting company in the breaking area on the way into turn 2.

Jenson and Honda got lucky because they worked hard and produced the best car/driver/stratagie on the day. Jense had Alonso pegged and if you remember Kimi was going backwards as he was about to let Pedro through when he crashed as Pedro was much quicker than Kimi. Schumi had a tactical brain fade. Fisi was unlucky or perhaps didn't put enough work into his wet weather set up and just pushed behond the limits.

Lucky may be, but no more so than any other drive/car/tyre combination on the grid
NickT

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Maybe that's one reason why Shu didn't pit later on in the race. His engineer most likely told him of Alonso's misfortune, and the reason for it. So Shu probably said to himself.."I've got the lead, enough gas to make it to the end. If I stay out, I can't have any pit stop misfortune... I'll just stay out and finish with points, close the gap on Alonso."
Any win has an element of luck to it, many, many races are decided by a competitor(s) running into misfortune and difficulty, while the eventual race winner is the one who makes the fewer mistakes, and avoids bad decisions.
Luck comes in many forms, from the obvious crashes and wheel nuts not being properly tightened, to some tire engineer at Michelin stumbling across a rubber formula or construction method that gives the tires an obvious advantage in the wet.

mini696

Typical bloody englishmen... Bitch and complain when their driver isnt winning and blame him (Button) for being useless. Then as soon as he does they bitch and complain that he won due only to luck. You (Brittish people) just hate to see other people do well and then you have to shut them down.

As for Alonso's "wheelnut vs driveshaft" just go to their website... They state it was a wheelnut/locking device problem.

johny

there're some versions for it. alonso when retired he said that was likely a drivetrain failure, Briatore said that it was a "team failure", Pat said that it was the wheelnut safety system that broke down when the mecanic removed the tyre, and spanish media says that it was the **** mecanic that didn't put the wheelnut correctly. IMO the most credible is Pat's one, also there using a new system for wheelnuts in Turkey