Villeneuve not longer in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Principessa

Villeneuve not longer in F1

http://www.f1technical.net/news/3689

Villeneuve will move to NASCAR for sure now. He already signed a pre-contract with a NASCAR team for when he would not find another F1 Team.

RH1300S

No problem I reckon...........

Monty & Villeneuve in NASCAR, could be fun ;)

wrk

so with another driver defecting to nascar who will fill this seat???
gentlemen start your engines......

Steven
Owner

wrk wrote:so with another driver defecting to nascar who will fill this seat???
Well that must be the easiest question of the silly season: Kubica.
I rate Jacques highly as he was constantly the better of Heidfeld this year.

Actually there are some strange things happening, with politics being more important than good drivers. I mean, look at Williams, why would they let Webber go and keep Rosberg, some youngster that crashes his car almost every two weeks.

Same here with Villeneuve I think, experience is not valued and some youngster who proved to be good during testing is preferred.
Now again, I hope Renault have some good thoughts about their second driver and talk with Jacques there a bit.

Tp
Tp

The way he was driving this year was probably the best he has ever driven - I don't understand why they they've dropped him

zac510

Doesn't bother me too much either. Amazing that he has stayed in F1 for so long, really.

Ciro Pabón

zac510 wrote:Doesn't bother me too much either. Amazing that he has stayed in F1 for so long, really.
Guys, I do not understand this thread. Villeneuve and Montoya are stars. I do not know how you can become a star, but if I could bottle it, I would be rich. What sport can allow itself to lose two stars in a row? I know you are excited after the Hungarian GP, but on "normal conditions" this news probably could ellicit more "motivated" posts.

They are being punished by going to NASCAR, let me say. Both have been "expelled" before the end of the season and both were sorely missed in Hungary (under the rain) by some fans, or, at least, me. When has been a driver dropped like this? Can anyone remember?

This means, also, that the american rooster is almost halved, but I guess you won't miss the public at that side of the pond.

Please, analyze that rarely, if ever, had an F1 driver gone to another series because it pays the same: if Mr. Villeneuve or Mr. Montoya had went to Indycar, nothing would had happened except "retirement" parties in November, 2006. For Montoya, more probably November, 2010, after a "Red-Bull-type career".

Besides, the similarities in character of both pilots and the testosterone levels displayed by both guys, not to mention the over-the-average depth and firmness of their attitudes, paint a blemish future for F1 driving rooster. Specially with some guys on the pipeline that seem like N'sync types. :wink: Sorry, sorry, the devil made me say this last one...
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 07 Aug 2006, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

zac510

Don't get me wrong Ciro, I do like the guy, but usually when a driver underperforms for a long time he gets dropped. You wouldn't think twice if it happened to a rookie, or to Klien at the end of this season.

You have to move on eventually, like Mansell did in 1995.

I don't think Montoya's defection was for the same reason I quoted above.

Ciro Pabón

zac510, I am not arguing about the reasons: you could say Jacques is a tad old and Juan is slightly out of focus, and I won't lift a finger (well, not too much).

It is the indifference what makes me wonder. I was trying to show how many controversial aspects these news have. Or, maybe, I'm in sinchronicity with Mike Lawrence, which I just read after my post, and states basically the same things.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 07 Aug 2006, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

zac510

Ciro Pabón wrote:I was trying to show how many controversial aspects these news have.
That they do!

wazojugs

Maybe this might start the ball rolling and we could see the end of RS and JT next year too and get some fresh blood in

jgredline

The mistake In my mind is that Jaques would be going to the Busch series which is like the gp2 of F1. He is doing this for expeiriance but if he gets schooled there its over and has no excuse. If he gets schooled in nextel cup then people would expect that. A few Busch races would be ok, but they are talking a season of it.

As for JPM coming, the news continues to grow. Its amazing really how much hype there is. Word is that they will have twice the budget to run that team than any other team currently has. That Chrysler / Daimler is flipping the bill for this.
They see it and is a marketing dream.
To finish first, first you must finish.

joseff

Bummer. Jacques, better get busy man. We don't like waiting 20 more years for the next Villeneuve to come along.

m3_lover

wazojugs wrote:Maybe this might start the ball rolling and we could see the end of RS and JT next year too and get some fresh blood in
I think JT has a a new multi-year contract... I think it might be three years.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Saribro

m3_lover wrote:I think JT has a a new multi-year contract... I think it might be three years.
Indeed: http://www.formula1.com/news/4701.html