Webber joins Coulthard at Red Bull

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tp
Tp

Webber joins Coulthard at Red Bull

Mark Webber will race alongside David Coulthard at Red Bull in 2007, the team confirmed on Monday afternoon.

While Coulthard has looked likely to extend his stay with the squad in to a third year for some time, speculation grew over the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend that Webber would be his team-mate for next season.

Although Renault had seemed his most likely destination after it was announced he was to leave Williams after two seasons last week, he will now team up with the Scot at RBR next year.

Team boss Christian Horner explained-

“Looking to Mark, we chose him for a number of straightforward reasons.

“One, he obviously has undoubted speed and ability, and two, he appears to have the determination and motivation needed to succeed.

Horner belives that the capture of the 29-year-old to race alongside the experienced Scot will give the team one of the strongest driver line-ups on the grid in 2007.

“We’re entering an exciting new phase in the short history of Red Bull Racing and Mark was an obvious candidate for us.

“He’s got a good track record in F1 and we’re delighted to have secured his services for next year.

“We believe that together he and David will form a very solid partnership, which will give us one of the strongest driver line-ups in the field.”

Horner also confirmed that current second driver Christian Klien would leave the team after two years.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Christian Klien for all his hard efforts for the team over the last two seasons," he said.

"He will remain a Red Bull Racing driver until the end of the 2006 season, and we will continue to give him all the support that we can during that time.”

More infomation

f1.redbaron

Is anobody really surprised? Renault wasn't really an option seeing how Flavio wanted Kimi to take that seat, and Mclaren already had a lot of other drivers which they can sign.

manchild

This means that Alonso staying or Kimi going to Renault are the only two posibilites for Renault. Perhaps JV but I don't think we'll see him in Renault (although I'd like to see him becoming WDC once more, I'm sure he still has it :twisted: ).

Personaly, I think Renault and Mclaren will swap their first drivers if Schuey stays in 2007.

DaveKillens

Red Bull have become very serious about that team. No more development drivers there, expect a much stronger team in '07.
Newey should have a completely new car ready for the upcoming season, and coupled with the strong Ferrari engine, it should be right up there with the best.

bhall

DaveKillens wrote:...and coupled with the strong Ferrari engine...
Isn't Red Bull trying to get out of its contract with Ferrari so they can run Renault engines next year?

Lightspeed

Do you guys agree with Mark Webber that Red Bull would be much faster than Williams in 2007 ?

With the factory Toyota engine, IMHO Williams will be able to prove Webber wrong.

speed12

I don't think the Toyota engine is any more powerful than the Cosworth engine. Certainly since the start of the season Toyota has gained a lot of ground on Cosworth, and is now probably every bit as powerful. Toyota is only better than Cosworth in terms of reliability IMO. I think BRB will be a slightly stronger team than Williams next year, but who knows?

FEAR-ME

red bull is trying to get renault engines for next year.
i read an article this morning that said kimi has already signed a multi year contract with ferrari and the finnish test driver for renault already sign contact to partner fisi next year.
reports are that cosworth has the most power on the grid and they were the first to go past 20,000rpm, so with the engine freeze after china and for next year can't see toyota having a better engine than this years cosworth on the power side of things.
williams/cosworth(when remaining on the track) had better race pace than toyota, williams/toyota is more for economical reason than pace in think.
lifes short, race hard.

RH1300S

I reckon it's a good place to be for Webbo (& DC :))

Seems like the pieces are tumbling into place and it looks like MS will retire (IMHO). Ross Brawn not around next year. Massa does not seem to be looking for a job. Koiva...had a contract that stated he will have a race drive in 2007. With Webbo @ Red Bull, you can't see him at Ferrari nor McLaren - so it looks like he has the Renault seat. Which has to leave Kimi @ Ferrari. Surely MS wouldn't want a final year up against Kimi when this year has at least shown he can still fight for a title (may even win it).

Then, if Massa does not need to be placed out of the team (Todt's son looks after him :twisted: ) at Red Bull Ferrari. Then surely Ferrari wouldn't want to risk a Newey Red Bull car with a Ferrari engine against them; so, let STR have the Ferrari engine. Red Bull get the Renault motor (Webber/Briatore connection). Briatore leaves Renault (why finish a great career running a team led by Fisi???).

Anyway - at the end of the day Red Bull have a very strong driver lineup and a Newey car on the way. They are serious.
Last edited by RH1300S on 08 Aug 2006, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

wrk

i just cant get, that no ferrari customer engine has ever won a GP, ringing out of my head..........i hope he has made the right choice.......
gentlemen start your engines......

RH1300S

wrk wrote:i just cant get, that no ferrari customer engine has ever won a GP, ringing out of my head..........i hope he has made the right choice.......
He has if the run Renault :wink:

mini696

Toyota have had more than their fair share of failures this year.

I think Renault will supply RBR next year and that is a much better prospect than Wiliams-Toyota IMO.

pRo

Hey guys, here's how it goes. 8)

Renault: Heikki Kovalainen, Giancarlo Fisichella.
McLaren: Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton.
Ferrari: Kimi Räikkönen, Felipe Massa.
Toyota: Ralf Schumacher, Jarno Trulli.
Williams: Nico Rosberg, Alex Wurz.
Honda: Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello.
Red Bull: David Coulthard, Mark Webber.
BMW Sauber: Nick Heidfeld, Robert Kubica.
Toro Rosso: Vitantonio Liuzzi, Scott Speed.
Super Aguri: Takuma Sato, ?.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

DaveKillens

Ferrari are insisting (holding to contract) that Red Bull use their engines in '07. A few weeks ago Red Bull indicated they would like to have STR run the Ferrari engines, but Ferari put their foot down and said "no way".
Despite Massa's complete failure in the rain at Hungaroring, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a McLaren. He just seems to fit their needs.

NickT

DaveKillens wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a McLaren. He just seems to fit their needs.
Hmmmm...... now that is an interesting thought :wink:
NickT