New Safety System

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

New Safety System

Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Saribro
Saribro

It's definitly worth a closer look. You'd have to be somewhat carefull balancing between making it obvious enough but keeping it from interfering, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Tp
Tp

Makes you wonder, why teams haven't used this system before. Especially when you get penalised if you ignore them. They should have one for blue flags, because during a race when the drivers are concentrating on their race the flags can be the easily ignored.

johny

that's it, if you make a system like that, why don't use all flags

Saribro
Saribro

johny wrote:that's it, if you make a system like that, why don't use all flags
Well for one, yellow and red flags are global, so much easier to manage.

pyry
pyry

global? blue flags arent then?
four rings to rule them all

Str8up
Str8up

Given the technology in F1, having a short range transmitter at each flag station should be achievable. The race controller could have control & select the appropriate sections similar to the pocedure now.

This could also be used for blue flags as well. For example, once an overtaking car is within a pre-determine time (eg 1 sec) when crossing the sector spilts, blue light automatically illuminate on the lapped car. Again overseen by the race controller.

mcdenife
mcdenife

Pyry wrote:
global? blue flags arent then?
Saribro meant the waving of blue flags is selective as they only apply to cars being lapped and therefore not as easy to manage. Red and yellow flags apply to the entire field (global if u like).
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

theSuit
theSuit

This system is actually in the next set of technical regulations.

I suspect the reason it hasn't been seen before is that there's no way to sent the track status to the car without violating the pit to car telemetry rules.

zac510
zac510

Ferrari used to have a yellow/red flag LED on the steering wheel in 2000. It's in the Ferrari F1 book by Peter Wright.

Tom

Well, if ITV viewers, and I'm sure many more, can instantly see when the yellows are waved why not the drivers?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Saribro
Saribro

Tom wrote:Well, if ITV viewers, and I'm sure many more, can instantly see when the yellows are waved why not the drivers?
Because it requires signals to be sent -to- the cars. If there is no official system that is managed by race controllers, it would have to be sent by the teams' pit crews, which is currently not allowed.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It's a good thing to have additional warning devices. My concern is the driver would tend to rely more on them than being vigilant for problems. As well, the time delay in relaying a problem from the specific corner to race control, to the drivers would be longer than the marshalls, who are right there.
And then there is the issue of sabotage. An unscrupulous team would know the frequencies and commands, and who knows, at some specific time or corner, give some opponent a false signal. Some dude sitting on a grassy knoll with a parabolic dish, low power, and the correct commands could direct the signal to an unsuspecting car? Most likely they could mask the dish in the book depository, oops, a van or tent instead. :wink:

kimi_khodr_raikkonen
kimi_khodr_raikkonen

yeah man, this will be a more professional move, lights r more reliable than flags, and they insure more safety and rule abidance, specially the blue flags, and yeah this idea should've been applied a long time ago, so it's about time to get things setteled
kimi is the best

Saribro
Saribro

DaveKillens wrote:And then there is the issue of sabotage.
If it is managed by the race stewards (as it should), a simple encryption of the connection would make it safe enough from sabotage (compare it to WPA encryption on wireless internet for example), even an unscrupulous team would have to invest a lot to get by it. Change the encryption parameters and/or passwords on a race by race, or even day by day basis and even the most paranoid should feel safe.