Why is Renault in F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mikey_s
Mikey_s

Why is Renault in F1?

This is not as contentious a question as it might first seem, more related to hat is in it for them... I sruggle to think of any Renault road car that is particularly sporty, apart from the Clio Sport. The other cars in their range (Magane, Laguna, Safrane) are all middle of the road, not particulalry startling vehicles.

So, it begs the question, why are in they in F1 - it is unquestionable that they are capable of building a very fast car - and have built many cahmpionship winning engines (Benneton, Williams and more latterly as a team in thier own right). However, this doesn't seeem to translate into their road cars.

I can easily understand Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, and to a lesser extent Toyota being present as they all have a sporty range in their portfolio. The link is also obvious for McLaren, Williams and Cosworth, but I am stumped by Renault... any thoughts?

P.S. Clearly their CEO is not an idiot either, so I assume it works for them, but from the general public perspective, do peolpe really think that they are getting a bit of F1 in their Megane?
Mike

Principessa

I don't think that having a 'sporty' car in their collection has anything to do with wether they should be in F1 or not. One of their sporty cars is the Megane. But okay, it's not a car like the Ferrari cars.

But is this necessary to be in F1? I really don't think so. Renault sold 7% more cars last year compared to 2004 and all of this has to do with the success of the team in F1 and Fernando Alonso. I think that they get more than they expected out of their appearance in F1.

Can I also tell you that Renault is the only brand that does so much for the young guns in motorsport! GP2, World Series,... they have to do with all these things. That's much more than other brands do

pyry
pyry

how do you know that it was due to f. alonso? if honda won the championship i would go and buy a honda. renaults are basic, very uninteresting cars which have nothing whatsoever to do with a drivers car, theyre purpose is to provide transportation from a to b. you dont buy a ferrari, bmw or a mercedes solely for transportation, they are also indicators of charachter, status and personality to some degree, and provide fun to o certain degree when driven
four rings to rule them all

Principessa

pyry wrote:renaults are basic, very uninteresting cars
That's your opinion and has in my opinion nothing to do with Renault in F1

If you ask yourself the question why Renault is in F1 than you should think about Red Bull, Midland and Super Aguri before Renault.

Tp
Tp

I don't think it's a matter of why they are in F1 but if they are committed to F1 and make decisions that are good for the sport.

It's not just Renault though. In the last 5 years there has been the arrival of quite a few automotive companies such as Ford, BMW, Toyota and Honda. On a positive note they have brought money to F1, elevating it to an even higher level of sophistication and professionalism. But the big problem with most of these manufactures is that they don't care about the sport. They usual have one aim. To win. If they do then it's great they get a return, in the form of car sales. But if they lose they leave.

Mikey_s
Mikey_s

Thx for the responses so far. I guess my question is really how F1 supports the Renault Brand. As I said, there is no question about their abolity to build a powerful and reliable F1 engine/car, but Renault don't really seem to have brand values associated with glamour, power, speed, or even engineering excellence (in my opinion - but I don't own a Renault!).

Furthermore, I don't doubt that the strategy they employ is working (otherwise the men in suits would soon pull the plug), but from the customer perspective I don't really see the link between F1 and the Brand.

Red Bull is a lifestyle sponsorship proposition, Midland/SA - I am flummoxed... I cannot understand them at all. (Furthermore, if I were Honda I would not really want my Brand associated with a car that trails around last all the time!)
Mike

Principessa

The first season Schumi won the championship with Ferrari, there were more ferrari cars sold as well. I think it's just the same with Renault. People want reliable cars and if the brand gets possitive attention, they have more faith in that brand.

Powerslide

I guess Renaults racing history is not as famous as I thought. I don't know if this should count or not but Renault has been racing a long time ago. I would like to add, Renault has, to me, one of the saddest win in motor racing history.

:cool:

RH1300S
RH1300S

Exactly Powerslide..... 8)

Renault have a racing heritage (in all forms of motorsport) that goes right back to the very beginning (with Michelin I might add ;)).

What do they gain? Well, they're French (if ever there was a more nationalistic nation I can't think one :D )....so you might suspect they take a good deal of National pride in competing and winning at the highest level.

More hard nosed answer? Winning the championship puts the name "Renault" out all over world.............you don't need to be selling sports cars for some of the glamour to rub off.

saam
saam

maybe the real reason why renault are in F1 is to make other brands like ferrari look good :lol:

In any case any brand in F1 is a good brand IMO. they all have the balls to compete and race, its all good. builds faith in brands and sells cars to the world...
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

manchild
manchild

Without intention to offend anyone those who wonder why, I'm wondering too but if you're fully aware of automotive and automotive racing history. Not just that Renault is one of 4 oldest manufacturers together with Mercedes, Peugeot and Skoda (founded in 19th Century) but also one of the most innovative* manufacturers. They were pioneers in racing, won their first race in 19th Century, first ever grand prix and still are the most successful manufacturer having won (among other things) F1 WCC and WDC titles as manufacturer and engine supplier (with two teams), WRC, 24 Hrs Le Mans, Paris Dakar, Formula 2… even Tour De France with their own bicycle!

Racing is part of Renault much more than it can be applied to Mercedes, BMW and Honda. Since their foundation Renault cars are racing. The company itself got born to thanks to bet Louis won by taking Voiturette (very first ever built Renault) up one steep street in 1898. That same little Voiturette had TRANSMISSION SHAFT COUPLED TO THE REAR WHEELS VIA A UNIVERSAL JOINT while during famous first ever GP in 1906 Mercedes and FIAT were still using chains! Philosophy is what makes Renault stand out, even today.

When it matters luxury, before WWI Renault was in same league as Rolls Royce. Than came great depression and only competitive cars became those manufactured in fascistic countries (Italy and Germany).

During WWII Renault was looted by Mercedes and bombed heavily. After WWII they've started rebuilding company building small cars and family cars like many other manufacturers who suffered greatly during WWII. That's when next era of Renault motor racing was born. 4CV won Monte Carlo rally in 1949, 24h Le Mans in it's own class... Alpine Renault and Renault Gordini than started bringing success in rallying and other types of racing.

In the 70's they entered F1 and changed it completely with turbos just like they did again in 1989 with V10.

Their road cars may not appear to be interesting at first glance but usually they are leading their own class and setting up standards with innovative approach. They may just look like confection but they are not.

Contemporary cars... Well, Twingo has no serious opponent for almost 15 years (otherwise they’d replace it), Clio was twice car of the year, Megane too, also being European best-seller for almost 10 years even though it is far from being cheapest in its class. First ever 5 stars in NCAP test were won by Laguna, than in their own class repeated by Megane, Modus and Clio.

Technology they developed in racing over the years reached their mass produced cars - Louis Renault invented variable valve management in 1902, BMW bragged with valvetronic almost 100 years later! First mass produced car with brake disc on all 4 wheels was Renault 8…

Why didn’t Mercedes apply anything revolutionary on their expensive cars during ‘50s, ‘60s, ‘70s? Because they are conservative and that is exactly what Renault isn’t and why their cars are so popular (same basis as Citroen). So many of their "boring cars" have beaten oposition over the years. Just try counting sucess in motorsport brought to Renault by some of these post-war models 4CV, Dauphine, 4, 5, 8, 12, 17, 20, 21, Clio, Megane, Laguna...

Mercedes providing fun in driving and being also indicators of character, status and personality to some degree’"? Fun in driving? Where’s fun in driving heavy car with conservative, diplomatic appearance? Character yes – boring, unimaginative person with poor driving skills driving from point A to point B, status yes – rich (what has that got to do with technology and racing?), personality yes – kind of “Please look at me! I’m not worth looking at but I’m driving a Mercedes”.

Mercedes makes living rooms on wheels while Renault makes fun and friendly cars.

Why did everyone switch to turbos? Why did everyone switch to V10? Who used the first F1 radio comm? Renault. Who used first radial tyres in F1? Renault. Who invented pneumatic valves? Renault.... the list is very long.

The question I'd like to ask you is... if you find Mercedes, BMW or Honda (???) as "naturally belonging" in F1 than please explain why they can't build a better F1 car than Renault? Renault returned to F1, won all there was while those "naturals" are still dreaming of being competitive enough to reach the title on their own. When I mention Mercedes I have in mind that they are not just incapable to build whole car on their own but also incapable to build whole engine on their own! Why are they than "god given to be in F1"?

*RENAULT INNOVATIVE HALL OF FAME

1898 TRANSMISSION SHAFT COUPLED TO THE REAR WHEELS VIA A UNIVERSAL JOINT

1898 GEARBOX WITH 3 GEARS (3 DIRECT – “DIRECT-DRIVE”)

1899 QUIET-RUNNING GEARWHEELS

1902 TURBO COMPRESSOR

1902 VARIABLE VALVE ACTUATION

1902 DRUM BRAKE

1903 STEERING WITH RACK AND PINION

1904 REMOVABLE SPARK PLUGS BEARING

1905 THERMO SIPHON COOLING SYSTEM

1905 HYDRAULIC SHOCK ABSORBER

1906 GRAND PRIX VICTORY *RENAULT AK 90 CV

1906 AUTOMATIC CARBURETOR

1906 IGNITION SYSTEM WITH SEPARATE DISTRIBUTOR

1906 CENTRIFUGAL RADIATOR FAN

1910 PNEUMATIC ENGINE STARTER

1912 REMOVABLE/REPLACEABLE WHEELS

1913 GEAR DRIVEN OIL PUMP

1916 ELECTRIC CONTROL OF GEARBOX AND CLUTCH

WWI

1920 SELF-BEARING BODY SHELL

1921 RUBBER "SILENT-BLOCK" ENGINE MOUNTINGS

1923 MECHANICAL SERVO BRAKE

1926 ADJUSTABLE-LENGTH REAR BENCH

1931 THERMOSTAT

1933 STEERING DAMPER

1934 AERONAUTICAL FAIRINGS

1936 SEATS WITH FLEXIBLE CUSHIONS

1939 REMOVABLE REAR BENCH FOR MODULAR LUGGAGE-CARRYING

WWII

LOUIS RENAULT 1877-1944 (OVER 750 VARIOUS PATENTS DURING HIS LIFETIME)

1957 SAFETY (CHILD) REAR DOOR LOCK *RENAULT DAUPHINE

1961 HERMETIC CLOSED CIRCUIT COOLING *RENAULT 4

1961 MULTI PURPOSE VEHICLE MPV *RENAULT 3

1961 CAR WITH NO MUZZLES FOR LUBRICATING *RENAULT 4

1961 BODYWORK ELEMENTS CONNECTED WITH SCREWS *RENAULT 4

1961 UPWARDS OPENING REAR DOOR *RENAULT 4

1962 BRAKING DISCS ON ALL FOUR WHEELS *RENAULT 8

1965 FOLDING REAR SEATS *RENAULT 4

1965 HATCHBACK *RENAULT 16

1965 ALTERNATOR ON PRODUCTION CARS (EUROPE'S FIRST) *RENAULT 16

1965 DIECAST ALUMINUM ENGINE BLOCK *RENAULT 16

1965 ELECTRIC RADIATOR FAN (EUROPE'S FIRST) *RENAULT 16

1968 ELECTRIC WINDOWS *RENAULT 16

1968 HALOGEN LIGHT BULBS *RENAULT 16

1968 ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW HEATING *RENAULT 16

1969 ELECTROMAGNETIC DOOR LOCKS *RENAULT 16

1971 POLYESTER COVERED BUMPERS *RENAULT 15 RENAULT 17

1978 AUTOMATIC GEARBOX ON A CITY CAR *RENAULT 5

1973 CENTRAL LOCK *RENAULT 16

1981 REMOTE DOOR LOCKS *RENAULT 11 ELECTRONIQUE

1983 VOICE SYNTHESIZER *RENAULT 11 ELECTRONIQUE

1984 RADIO CONTROLS ON STEERING WHEEL *RENAULT 25

1984 MINIVAN *RENAULT ESPACE

1987 COMPUTER CONTROL OF ALL ENGINE PARAMETERS *RENAULT 21 2L TURBO

1988 COMPOSITE DRIVE SHAFTS *RENAULT ESPACE QUADRA
Last edited by manchild on 17 Aug 2006, 08:32, edited 11 times in total.

Mikey_s
Mikey_s

MC, what a post!

Great post MC, I have no clue where you find and hold all that inf, but it is an impressive list.

It was not my intention to be 'down' on Renault, but I just miss the connection between the Brand values and the involvement in F1.

in any case your post was a good read. thanks for taking the time.
Mike

manchild
manchild

Thanks Mickey_s :wink:

I've edited my post a bit since you've read it. I was a bit harsh I think but now I hope its more "tactical".

engin007
engin007

Formula One is watched by billions of peoples around the world every year (55 billion or something like that).

So instead of Renault advertising itself in every country and every channel. By participating in F1 they can let the people know about their 'brand' in a single hit. And for the same reason all the other sponsors are in F1.

There are a lot of other reasons as well which are mentioned earlier. But this is what I think and I dont want every one to agree with me.

wazojugs

Excellent post manchild somethings in there that i didn't know, makes me proud to be a life time renault supporter.

On a different note it looks like some members here don't know a lot about F1 post 2000 or even the car industry itself.

I can only ask these people to read their history books as there is more to motorsport than just the red cars, and that is no accusation at all to the red cars achievments past present and future.