Villeneuve slams Schumacher over 'lies'

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild
manchild

Villeneuve slams Schumacher over 'lies'

Alan Henry
Thursday August 17, 2006
The Guardian

Jacques Villeneuve has accused Michael Schumacher of a succession of dirty tricks and deliberately lying to his fans and fellow drivers. In a remarkable personal attack on the seven-times champion he concludes that the Ferrari driver will soon be forgotten once he finally retires from driving.

Villeneuve, who won the 1997 world championship driving a Williams-Renault, delivered his broadside in an interview to be published next week in F1 Racing magazine. Bemoaning what he believes to be a shortage of real stars in formula one, Villeneuve, who was replaced in the BMW Sauber line-up by the novice Robert Kubica from the Hungarian grand prix, fires the first salvo by claiming that Schumacher lacks the star quality to be lauded on the same level as Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost or Nigel Mansell.

"I think the problem is that you don't ever see his true personality," he said. "He's a racer - but a pure racer, nothing but a racer and, because of that, I think the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him. Senna, by contrast, will never be forgotten. Some of that is the James Dean factor, of course, because he was killed in action at a young age, but not all of it. I don't even think Michael will live on in people's memories as strong or as long as Prost has - certainly not as strong or as long as Mansell has. Those people attained a hero status that Michael never has and never will."

Villeneuve feels that Schumacher displayed his true colours during qualifying for this year's Monaco grand prix when he skidded to a halt, blocking the track and preventing Fernando Alonso from completing his own qualifying run. He clearly brackets this with the episode at Jerez during the 1997 European grand prix when Schumacher's Ferrari collided with his Williams in what turned out to be the race that decided the championship in the Canadian driver's favour.

"Michael simply isn't a great champion because he's played too many dirty tricks and because he isn't a great human being," said Villeneuve. "Yes, Senna played dirty tricks too but he did it with more class, more integrity. When he took Prost out [in the Japanese grand prix] at Suzuka in 1990, he said he was going to do it before the race.

"So, unlike Michael, who ridiculously insisted he was innocent at Monaco this year, Senna said, 'Yes, I did it. But I told you before the race that I was going to do it.' That's very different from what Michael did at Monaco and Jerez [in 1997] and Adelaide [in 1994 where he collided controversially with Damon Hill].

"Senna wasn't lying to the fans. Michael was. And the sad thing is that, of course, the fans accept it - they swear black is white, in fact - just so that they can go on respecting the sport they love. And Michael takes advantage of that loyalty."

What particularly annoyed Villeneuve was Schumacher's arrogant defiance even towards his peers during a meeting of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association convened at Silverstone over the British grand prix weekend specifically to discuss his behaviour at Monaco.

"But he lies not only to fans but to his fellow drivers, too," said Villeneuve. "At the GPDA meeting at Silverstone he lied to us [about his qualifying incident at Monaco] and he didn't even have the decency to appear embarrassed about it. He just stared in our eyes and lied. And we all knew we were being lied to but very few of us bothered to say anything [Villeneuve, Alex Wurz and Pedro de la Rosa were the only ones who did] because most are scared of Michael or just wanted the meeting to be over so that they could go and watch the World Cup, which was a pathetic way to behave when there was such an important matter under discussion.

"It's quite sad, really - because the reason Michael did what he did is that he thinks he's better than the rest of us. He thinks he's bigger than the sport, too, but he isn't. And when he retires, and no one really remembers him, that will become clear."

Villeneuve also believes that formula one has spawned a generation of drivers who are so intimidated by their teams that they lack the ability to think for themselves - or analyse any responsibility they might have for driving errors on the circuit. "Some drivers are totally willing to accept what their teams tell them - namely that they're at the bottom of the food chain," he said. "You know, 'You're here to drive, nothing more.'

"That affects their mind-sets adversely and that's why you never really get drivers admitting culpability in racing incidents these days. They can't even recognise their own culpability because they've been programmed not to admit to it. And because less intelligence and responsibility are expected of them, they display less intelligence and responsibility, which is ultimately a safety problem."

How it all began

Jacques Villeneuve went head to head with Michael Schumacher for the 1997 world title in the final race of the season, the European grand prix at Jerez. "I wasn't on new tyres from the start and I had to struggle to keep up with Michael," said Villeneuve, who moved into second place with a gap of four or five seconds. But by the time they made their first refuelling stops the gap was much less. On lap 47, going into the Dry Sack right-hander, Villeneuve made his move. He dived down the inside of the Ferrari and the cars collided as Schumacher deliberately turned into him. The Ferrari was beached in the gravel and Villeneuve struggled home third. Schumacher was stripped of all his championship points for the season as punishment.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/formulaone/ ... e_continue
===============================================

Finnaly someone from F1 and even better an F1 champion who sees things as I do 8)

walter
walter

theres one lesson that JV didnt learn while MS did...

DON'T TALK S**T ABOUT OTHERS!!!

engin007
engin007

If JV had atleast won the Driver's championship 3 times then he should say things like that about MS. I am not a great MS fan but he did not cheat in every race to win 89 times and win the championship 7 times.

saam
saam

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot... really

You have just told the entire world how small minded you are

Goes to show just how some people never learn :lol:

not even worth arguing about, the crap speaks for itself :wink:

i am glad to have read it 8)
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

Carbon
Carbon

A case of a sore loser? Perhaps. As much as I want JV in F1 next year, this smacks of classless pity talk.

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

Id agree its probably classless, maybe with the slight exaggeration here and there. It's probably also hypocritical since he doesnt seem to apply what he says to himself. I'm not sure if public self critique is really fundamentally possible from an F1 driver. Also, I'd be willing to guess that he'd be pissed off Kubica almost pulled off the same rookie debut JV did, though by replacing JV.

But about MS, JV's not entirely off the mark.

I've still got the JV hope though. Put him in a Renault that's competitive with next year's Ferrari, and there's potential to be a better rivalry than any we've seen this generation.

Tom

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot... really

You have just told the entire world how small minded you are

Goes to show just how some people never learn

not even worth arguing about, the crap speaks for itself
Sorry for picking on you here Saam, but this is brilliant. I'm laughing still.

On a serious note, I admire Jaques for saying this, and it is remarkably true but I feel he has got his priorities mixed up, sure MS is a great driver, but undoubtably a cheat, nontheless. I don't have a problem with him lying to his fans or other drivers, I have a problem with his conduct on track. He seems occasionally to forget how dangerouse F1 cars are, to drivers, spectators and officials. That is what is wrong with his driving.
As for the Senna point, the move on Prost falls into the same context, whether he admitted it or not it was plain dangerouse, but he is gone and it is not fair to wrap his knuckles now.

Anyone who starts arguing about whether MS cheats or not, shut up now because no-one wants to hear it. He must have cheated because he was caught and punished, twice, thats the end, its over, until he does it again.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Steven
Owner

walter wrote:theres one lesson that JV didnt learn while MS did...
Oh give the guy a break. His team for which he performed well just dropped him from F1, just like BAR at the time who were screaming for Button being a future champion while it took the "wonder" Britain 107 races to even win one single race.

Our friend was on pole on his first F1 race and won the championship in his second year in F1, after also having won the Indy500 and Champcar.

Ok I agree it's maybe pointless to say it, but it's true.

Also, may I once more say that you should read the complete article instead of these fragments

zac510
zac510

Nothing against the guy, but JV won't really be remembered either. I struggle to see as much character in him as he claims M Schu hasn't.

Ciro Pabón

walter wrote:theres one lesson that JV didnt learn while MS did...
Yes, you may form an opinion.

Worse yet, if it is not the most popular, you may have to defend it...

Fark.com: your opinion is about "the man"...

Some of us have posted along the same line, so it could seem partial to give him a most enthusiastic endorsement . Therefore, I won't do it. :wink: Anyway, it is enchanting to check that you are never alone.

You have to disagree with JV in one point: MS will be remembered. You have to conceed he is a great pilot, and deserves a little more respect than the one JV pays to him.

But it is clear that some people around here think that maybe MS will not be remembered the way he would like.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 18 Aug 2006, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

manchild
manchild

zac510 wrote:Nothing against the guy, but JV won't really be remembered either. I struggle to see as much character in him as he claims M Schu hasn't.
Well, JV will be remembered as a driver who was vice-chapion in his first F1 season, won 1997 WDC fairly even though MS pulled one of the dirtiest moves on him F1 has ever seen.

That's enough to be remembered by.

allan
allan

manchild wrote: Well, JV will be remembered as a driver who was vice-chapion in his first F1 season.
and as a stripper in his last one! :lol:

manchild
manchild

Ciro Pabón wrote:You have to disagree with JV in one point: MS will be remembered. You have to conceed he is a great pilot, and deserves a little more respect than the one JV pays to him.
I agree with you. I mean, I'm sure JV wanted to say Scheuy won't be remebered as great sportsman.

So... I disagree with JV that Schuey will be completely forgotten. He'll be rememberd by his dirty tricks, cheating, 5 sanctions (so far) and by one and only disqualification from whole season in history of F1.

Rob W

Achievements aside there is merit to the idea that personalities are remembered a lot longer than quiet achievers.

In that respect I don't think MS will be remembered as long as his achievements warrant - in much the same way people remember Michael Jordan over many of his peers who were, in reality, close to him in their sporting achivements but lesser public personalities.

Matt Wilander won seven grand slam tennis tournaments (three in 1988 alone!!).. but he's hardly remembered when compared to others of that era who were louder and more flamboyant.

JV has a point but it's lost because it sounds a lot like sour grapes.

Rob W

(my first post here by the way... been reading for years)

saam
saam

Sorry for picking on you here Saam, but this is brilliant. I'm laughing still.
Hi Tom, you can only take people as seriously as they seem :lol:

Reading the entire thing made me laugh all the way to work that day. Its like me coming into F1 and winning 1 race then claiming everyone around me are not worthy and are cheaters and will never be remembered.
Some people do not want to take responsibility of what they say in and out of the track, and some people remain bitter long after they leave the sport, seems JV may be one of them

I actually didnt mind the bloke, but now who knows, you cant always beleive what you read

And some people who post on here i believe have multiple personalities they say one thing and when they dont get the feedback they wanted change their opinion :lol:

all fun and games 8)
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........