Villeneuve slams Schumacher over 'lies'

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild

Re: I'm aSchum fan, so...

Tp wrote:Who said that Schumacher publicly announced he was giving money to charity?
allan wrote:seriously manchild, U TALK A LOT WITHOUT THINKING!!
it was the german counsellor, schnuder i think, who started blaming schumacher for not paying his taxes in germany and donating millions for tsunami!!! that's how the media knew about michael's donation, only except if he had called u and told u to speak to the media about it!
allan, you know things Schuey himself isn't aware of (you should let him know). His menager Willi Weber was on the phone live from Mallorca during TV show announcing that Schuey will give 10 mil. Whatever chancellor Schroeder said it was done AFTER this TV show. So it wasn't me talking a lot without thinking but you.
In 2005, Schumacher donated US$10 million to charity for the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake in a charity show on the German television network ZDF. It was later announced that Schumacher's bodyguard, Burkhard Cramer, and Cramer's two sons, had died while on holiday in Phuket, Thailand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Schumacher
10 Millionen Dollar von "Schumi"
Einer, der etwas tun will, ist Michael Schumacher. Vor kurzem wählten die ZDF-Zuschauer den Formel 1-Weltmeister zu "unserem besten Sportler", und Schumacher bewies, dass sie damit so falsch nicht liegen: Sage und schreibe zehn Millionen Dollar steuerte er zur Hilfsaktion bei!

"Wer Michael und seine Frau kennt, weiß, dass ihnen vor allem die Kinder am Herzen liegen", sagte sein Manager Willi Weber, der telefonisch aus Mallorca in die Sendung geschaltet wurde. Keine leeren Worte - gemeinsam mit dem Auswärtigen Amt soll nun entschieden werden, wie die riesige Summe am besten eingesetzt werden kann.

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/31/0,187 ... 27,00.html
In general, I’m not objecting it being done this way because help is help. Schuey made an exceptional donation, no question about it. I’m only objecting that someone who isn’t doing it publicly can be called as someone who doesn’t care with nothing to back that up.

slick

Uhmm...

Some interesting comments...

Just think about it, you roll into work one day, to be told your being replaced by the understudy, and your services are no longer required. That has got to hurt. It's understandable that he's lashing out. In truth the only person who'll be forgotten is JV, and in a way I guess that's what is bugging him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a great fan of MSC as a personality. As an F1 driver he's is unmatched. The commitment at all levels inside and outside the car is beyond reproach. The work rate in the car is higher than any other driver, and he never stops pushing. That is F1, and why MSC still has a race seat and JV doen't. MSC got a lot of stick for not settling for more points in Hungary - an opportunity JV would have welcomed - but that's easy to say after the race. I doubt there is another driver on the grid that would have kept pushing in that position. Was he wrong? Those who think he was, will never hold seven World Champion titles in the sport. As for cheating, well that is just part of the sport I'm affaid. It goes back to the earliest days when mechanics would tip ball bearings down the exhaust to add weight to the car (I guess BMW forgot that one), or when sticking a massive fan on the car was to 'aid cooling'. As Gordon Murray once said 'F1 is not a sport, it's WAR'

DaveKillens

Well, I figure this is sour grapes, but with a story behind it. I believe, as most likely JV, that he is out of F1, forever. He has a long and deep antagonism aginst Shu, and he wants to speak it before his chances for a public forum in F1 slips away.
Jacques Villeneuve is no angel himself, he has made bad decisions and been a pain in the butt to many people. Maybe JV's legacy will be what he see now, a bitter whiner who faded out in an ugly fashion. Does that give him aright to voice his opinion though? Yes, he was there, he has raced Shu, and witnessed a lot of stuff personally. I also believe he's also speaking for many F1 drivers who are smart enough not to speak out of turn.
I've stated my position on Shu enough times in various posts, but here's a brief summation. I agree he's one of the greats, but not supreme over all. I also believe he does have a flawed moral compass, and has a long and dirty history of doing anything to win the title. And I have also stated that the day Shu retires I won't miss him at all.
I also believe manchild dislikes Shu so much because he represents everything that is wrong in F1, and you know what? I agree. I'm 55 years old and I've seen a lot of races and racers. My opinion of Shu was built in many years of observation, reading all the magazines and articles on racing, having a fudamantel understanding of the racing business. I didn't just turn on the TV five years ago and suddenly be captivated by an enviable winning record. There's a lot more to a racer than just numbers. Impressive numbers may earn you a fat contract and the adoration of some fans, until history starts to unwind. Witness what has happened to the people who set home run records in US professional baseball. All of them have been identified with unethical use of performing enhancing drugs. They are all now pariahs, shuned by almost all and will definitely have an asterisk beside their names in the record books. History will not be kind to them.
There's a lot more to Shu's success than just what happens on the track. Most of it is positive, from his incredible work ethic, level of personal fitness, team guidance and motivation, and single minded dedication to just one goal. But trust me, behind the scens he pulls ever political string to further his goal. Shu does not have any trouble with crippling the career of any driver or person if that means furthering his chances of winning the WDC.
Michael Schumacher is a ruthless machine, but also someone who took advantage of the times and situation within F1 to garner an impressive series of recoeds that will probably never be beaten. For some fans, that's enough for them, and it's their right to cheer for whom they choose. But for myself, I prefer others who not only capture my heart by their racing prowess and exciting character, but also fit in with my personal concept of moral conduct.
Michael Schumacher, love him or hate him, he is one unique character who has polarized fans as like no other.