Monza test

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Those new elements on Ferrari's nose look very clever but also very logical. Ferrari's front wing appears like it would produce more downforce than any other teams. However, I believe that the send element has a huge part in this. At low speed Ferrari's front wing will provide more downforce than anyone elses, so they have an advantage in the slower corners. However, at higher speeds that new element comes into play and counteracts the effect of they front wing lifting the front-end to give better straight line speed.

That's my guess anyway, seen as its an actual wing that would create lift and it would create more lift the faster the car goes...

Tom

Thats a hell of an idea, as long as you had the lifting wing angled high, to produce more drag than lift, it sould be amazing in the slow corners. Good plan.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

waynes
waynes

any news or pictures of jensons 160 mph shunt?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I was scanning some pics of the Thursday Monza test, and I noticed that at times the rear wheels did not have the controversial "brake assist duct".

allan
allan

you're right dave
notice massa's rear wheel
but maybe it's because he was running the wet tires for some reason :?:

RH1300S
RH1300S

allan wrote:notice massa's rear wheel
but maybe it's because he was running the wet tires for some reason :?:
Trying to slow him down :twisted:

zac510
zac510

Diesel wrote:Those new elements on Ferrari's nose look very clever but also very logical. Ferrari's front wing appears like it would produce more downforce than any other teams. However, I believe that the send element has a huge part in this. At low speed Ferrari's front wing will provide more downforce than anyone elses, so they have an advantage in the slower corners. However, at higher speeds that new element comes into play and counteracts the effect of they front wing lifting the front-end to give better straight line speed.

That's my guess anyway, seen as its an actual wing that would create lift and it would create more lift the faster the car goes...
It's all good and well to make varying lift at different speeds but what you really want to do at Monza is decrease drag at high speed. I'm not sure that what you are describing would decrease drag.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

It would atleast reduce the rolling resistance of the front wheels, I'm not sure how much it could do to clean up the air coming off the front wing...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

To reduce rolling resistance on the front wheels, everyone already uses the common trick of running extreme camber. On straights, only the inside of the tire contacts the road surface. I'm not sure if the current rules allow different compounds on one tire, but I know when they used to construct tires with a very hard compound for the inside, to even reduce further the rolling resistance.
It's hard for me to understand two aerodynamic elements working in opposition, yet reducing drag. The bargeboards are changed again, they now have just two notches on the upper surface, where at Turkey they had three. I believe the new winglets on the nose are there to condition the air before the bargeboards.

Principessa

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Basically this is how I reckon it works....

The new element on the nose is designed to reduce drag created by the front wing by reducing its effect (straitening out the air). It low speeds it has minimal effect, the front wing produces the normal amount of downforce (normal low speed downforce). However, at high speed the front wing is producing more downforce and more drag. The element comes into effect, it takes the high moving up off the edge of the front wing and straightens it out, reducing drag and downforce. The team will be able to run a more front wing for the low speed corners because this helps reduce the drag penalty.

Look at it's shape and it's positioning compared to the front wing. It's postioned of the the rear edge of the front wing, it's quite clear its designed to deal with air coming off the front wing.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Maybe it does straighten the air past the front wing. But the front wing has a specific lift to drag ratio, and since it can't change geometry, is unchanged. So no matter what that element on the nose does to the air downstrem of the front wing, the front wing still possesses a specific amount of drag.

Tp
Tp

DaveKillens wrote:Maybe it does straighten the air past the front wing. But the front wing has a specific lift to drag ratio, and since it can't change geometry, is unchanged. So no matter what that element on the nose does to the air downstrem of the front wing, the front wing still possesses a specific amount of drag.
I thought that as the velocity of the air increases, it tends to 'stick' to the surface of the car (or wing in this case). So in effect it's airflow path will change. I think Diesel's idea sounds plausible.

allan
allan

Diesel wrote: Look at it's shape and it's positioning compared to the front wing. It's postioned of the the rear edge of the front wing, it's quite clear its designed to deal with air coming off the front wing.
do u mean the additional plates or the main wing? because if they want to reduce drag effect, why to keep those additional wings???? :roll:

Tp
Tp

allan wrote:
Diesel wrote: Look at it's shape and it's positioning compared to the front wing. It's postioned of the the rear edge of the front wing, it's quite clear its designed to deal with air coming off the front wing.
do u mean the additional plates or the main wing? because if they want to reduce drag effect, why to keep those additional wings???? :roll:
For downforce at slower speeds.