Do you want MS to retire?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

I pray for it every night
43%
I'd wish
13%
You'd wish
8%
He will race forever if he wants
35%
Is he still racing?
3%

Total votes: 40

Ciro Pabón

I am not curious about if you think he will retire, nor if he wishes to retire or not, not even if he should retire.

What I am asking is what do YOU want?

I've posted the same question in a couple of forums, with the same format. I'm just trying to make a spicy question, I apologize in advance if I offend anybody.
Ciro

johny

i voted i'd wish, he has done everything a man can do in F1 and maybe he's difficulting young people coming, the most inteligent move should be retiring at the end of the year

bhall

Man, that's a tough question.

On one hand, I want him to retire because it's becoming more and more obvious lately that he's losing some of his skill, and he's having to resort to unethical tactics. I'd like to see him go out at least close to peak form, not when he's past it causing Ferrari to unnecessarily suffer.

But at the same time, even with his slightly diminished skills, he's still one of the two or three best on the track. And when he's "on," no one can touch him.

It can't be said enough though that this season would be totally boring without him. Even the haters should agree with that.

That said, he's still earned the right to leave whenever he sees fit. I just hope he does it right.

m3_lover

I can not wait for manchilds post to this... I am hoping for a classic post here!!!!
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tom

My 1.04948 pence,

I can't deny that this year MS has made a great championship come alive and we have seen all sides of him, blistering speed, lapping a whole second ahead of anyone in Q2 in Turkey, great fights with a tactical head, Imola, buckling under pressure, Hungary, and the raw side in Monaco.

I want him to stay but I don't want him to be successful, saddly thats never going to be an option so he'll have to go.

Ciao Michael
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Venom

What I would like him to do, depends on the outcome of this years championships.

If he wins this years championship, the hole F1 would go mad next season. As well as JV :p
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Principessa

I want him to retire. It's time for young guns to take his place. After all these years in F1, it's time for him to retire as he has won everythinig you can win as an F1 driver. I'm not a big fan of Schumacher, but the man has an amazing career and he has to stop while he's still winning GP'

manchild

When he won in France and Germany everyone was going "he's still young and strong" and when he was beaten by Alonso in Hungary and Turkey those same people were going "well, he is 37 afterall".

As much as I'd like not to see him in F1 anymore I'm afraid that he'll come back as Ferrari team boss or with his own team. I'm sure one of those two will happen which means that my last trouble-free F1 watching season was 1993 :cry:

BTW, I voted for "Is he still racing?" :mrgreen:

DaveKillens

Michael is still a premier driver, with tremendous skills and experience. But his ego is unmatched, and sometimes embarasses him.
I believe racing is a young man's sport, and it's a good thing for all the new and young fans to have drivers they can identify with. And believe it or not, change is good.
Why is the man still racing? Many others have quit much earlier to devote themselves to their families. Obviously, Michael doesn't care about his family as much as he wants us to believe. He has more money than most of us can comprehend, and his place is secure in the record books. So why does he race?
Ego, a huge and overpowering ego that makes him a very self-centered and selfish man only wishing to feed off the competition and the thrill of standing on the podium.

boban-mk

I want to retire. He will lose half of his fame if he stay a season or two more. He should stay at ferrary team, maybe replace Todt.
manchild wrote:when he was beaten by Alonso in Hungary and Turkey those same people were going "well, he is 37 afterall".
Hey, are you watching races or only see news on sports tv.

Tp
Tp

I agree I think it's time for Michael to quit while he's ahead.

But look at it from Michael's point of view. He loves what he's doing. More importantly he loves to win. Even after all those wins he's still motivated.

Judging by his pace this year, he's still pretty quick, and with Bridgestone being the only supplier next year (big disadvantage for teams on the Michelin tyres) he must surely fancy his chances for another championship.

manchild

boban-mk wrote:Hey, are you watching races or only see news on sports tv.
I wanted to point out that he reached the point when even I think that he is too old to fight with guys in their early 20s. He has really nothing to proove anymore. Only thing he can do is get hurt in desperate attempt to reach another WDC and degrade him self with moves like the ones from Monaco and Hungary.

If he had left at the end of 2005 season many younger F1 fans would praise him thiking that talks of older F1 fans about 1994 and 1997 are just "rants". He did menage to artificialy improove his image during period of Ferrari domination, crimes from the 90s were almost forgotten and than desperation and greed lead him to obstructing Monaco qualifying and overtaking several cars under red flag.

But hey, that was his choice.

cha0s_unl1m1t3d

personally i wish that he stays at ferrari and ferrari gives him a crappy car for many seasons so that he hav a really bad ending to his career... :twisted:

Ciro Pabón

Surprising: this is the MOST equally divided forum. I posted the same question on gp.com and pitpass.com and preliminary results are against MS staying, but too few votes yet.
Ciro

Tom

I don't think MS races because he is selfish, he does it for his enjoyment, racing is a hell of a lot of fun at any level and if your having fun and you have the oppertunity to keep going go for it I say, I would.

It brings back the old spirit of racing, I think Fangio was well in his 40s when he won his last WC, and MS is good, no question, why should he be kicked out because he's old if he can still get results?

Still don't like him though.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.