Do you want MS to retire?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

I pray for it every night
43%
I'd wish
13%
You'd wish
8%
He will race forever if he wants
35%
Is he still racing?
3%

Total votes: 40

Phoenix

I want Michael to retire because he is a great driver and if I were the top of my game I played, and acomplished all of my goals, I would go out when the people didnt want me to (i.e. Michael should have retired a few years ago IMO).

Also, being a Kimi fan, I am still hopeful of a seat for him at Ferrari.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Tom wrote:I don't think MS races because he is selfish, he does it for his enjoyment, racing is a hell of a lot of fun at any level and if your having fun and you have the oppertunity to keep going go for it I say, I would.

It brings back the old spirit of racing, I think Fangio was well in his 40s when he won his last WC, and MS is good, no question, why should he be kicked out because he's old if he can still get results?
Fangio didn't start winning in Europe until he was 37 in 1949, and retired at 47, in 1958. Who knows what he may have achieved if he had started European GP racing sooner?.
I have no doubt Michael Schumacher loves to race, and loves to win. But by his unwillingness to make a decision he is actually hurting his own team. He has reached the stage where he actually believes he is bigger than Ferrari, but they have had enough, and will force something to happen before the Monza weekend is over.

Carlos
Carlos

Sir Jack Brabham OBE retired at the age of 44--- I remember an interview
He said that he retired because he could no longer " instantaneously" shift
vision-focus from the roadbed to the instrument panel. Micheal Shumacher
and Ferrari have given us some great moments --- remember that first season with Ferrari and that race --- when he existed the pits and the halfshalf decoupled and started flopping round --- priceless! --- my friends and I still laugh about that one! MS could race until he needs Bifocals. Perhaps he should consider sportscars. 4 or 5 victories at LeMans would go a long way to rehabilitating his reputation. Why President Richard Nixon redeemed himself and became a well regarded senior statesman --- so anything is possible. Then again --- as a man ruled by the character trait "consideration" --- he must consider his brother RS --- If MS left the scene perhaps his brother's monetary value would wane. I am ambivalent.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

He loves what he does, and he still does it well. Younger guys can still come in and do well. Why stop him now? Let the man drive. I really pull for him to win the championship this year.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mini696

I want him gone (voted I pray for it every day).

I still believe he and Ferrari have way too much influence in F1 and are as close to being 'cheaters' as possible.

One day he'll be gone. Thank --- for that.

joseff

Wow some polarizing power there... it's either 'pray for him to leave' or 'drive forever', not much in the middle ground.

I don't think he'll leave. Think Michael Jordan. He thought he wanted to leave but he couldn't. Not until he was convinced that he really is too old.

saam
saam

ok, most people who want MS to leave the sport is becasue they want to see other drivers win and more importantly the driver they support, you take michael out of the equation and all of a sudden you may see your driver finish a race.... point taken

I want to see micheal challenge the younger drivers and keep them honest, a younger micheal was racing along side senna, I want to see the same here

My opinion is that the younger drivers are great but not as entertaining to watch as the great SHUI. I hope he continues to race, continues to stirr the pot and continues to make people look small....

Keep on dancing "rain master"
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

boban-mk

I strongly believe that he want's to retire. His problem is that he mention this decision to early. Nobody around him don't want that, sponsors, manager, fans. And that is real problem. He is now under big preasure, that must become a champion to be able to retire, or else, he must drive two more seasons. Nothing in this world is easy, but beeing a F1 driver and top one for 15 years is extreme, and if someone has reached everything posible and imposible, and have money for 10 lives, he should say enough, and stop.

mep

He is Mister Formula 1

Ciro Pabón

I was banned from pitpass for posting this same poll (apparently, I have not contacted the administrator yet, but it was my third post). I even wrote the same prologue to the poll stating that "I do not want to offend anybody, I'm just trying to post an spicy question". :lol:

Now, I appreciate Tomba's patience and this forum's members equanimity more than ever.
Ciro

wazojugs

I have never like the bloke and i think he should leave.

My reason for this is that he should leave at the height of his career and whilst he still has some credability to his name. He should not stay and become a punchdrunk fighter for which will tarnish his acheivments.

I think he will have a year off and drive for mercedes in the DTM or take over Mr Todds place in Ferrari when Todds takes over from Mosley (oh god no).

NickT

I have never liked MS, that is not to say he isn't a great driver because he undoubtedly is one of the very best. I just think he is a poor and flawed sportsman.

I think it is certainly time to concider retiring now. While age and trechery may overcome youth and enthusiasm, the young guns are getting older and wiser, and age is working againest him. Clear off while your at the top of your game Michael, just like Mika did, please don't let the inevitable become the reality for your fans to see.
NickT

RH1300S
RH1300S

Please retire, it's almost a win win now whatever happens:

If he takes the championship - best possible way to leave the sport.

If he comes a fighting second - it was a good last season.

He will free up the driver market and a new generation can get on with it very nicely without him.

I see nothing at all can be gained by running another year.....another title? What if he doesn't - then it will start looking like a man who stayed just a little bit too long.

I do think his goodwill with the fans is pretty much used up, any iffy moments are going to score him down more and more

Tp
Tp

I wonder if the TV figures drop after Schumacher retires. For a sport it's a good thing to have an exceptionally talented driver that people quickly associate as being the best when the name 'Schumacher' is mentioned (even if they've never seen a GP).

I mean look at Golf, I haven't a clue what golf's about but I know Tiger Wood's is supposedly the best. So if I was ever to watch it, I would pay particular attention to that person. And then you most likely turn into a fan of his. So this is probably the main reason why Schumacher has so many fans, they want to see this driver who's said to be the best against 21 other talented drivers from around the world.

You wouldn't watch M.S win a grand prix and think to yourself I'll support Super Aguri instead, would you?

So it'll be interesting to see the figures after he leaves.

boban-mk

I don't believe that if Schumaher leave, that people will lose interest in F1. If you remember 2003 and 2004 almost half of people that are not MS fans didn't watch f1 at all because it was boring. Also as a example Ferarri reported that an income was much bigger in 2005 than in 2004 because 2005 season was much more interersting, even they have bad results. So people don't watch one person, but want to have fun watching.