Do you want MS to retire?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Do you want MS to retire?

I pray for it every night
43%
I'd wish
13%
You'd wish
8%
He will race forever if he wants
35%
Is he still racing?
3%

Total votes: 40

Tp
Tp

I think it's probably best for Michael to sign a get-out clause if he wins this year’s title, in which case Felipe will fill the vacant seat next to Raikkonen. If Schumacher doesn’t win then he partners Raikkonen and Massa is loaned to another team for the season.

Jason

I pray for him to retire as quickly as possible every night, I hate him. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

mini696

In my opinion he is not good for the sport.

ketanpaul

I still believe he and Ferrari have way too much influence in F1 and are as close to being 'cheaters' as possible.

One day he'll be gone. Thank --- for that.
It is very disheartening to see that some f1 fans still think Ferrari have damaged the sport and its reputation. Sure, they have cheated sometimes but what they have given to the sport is priceless. I know so many people who started watching F1 after listening how great Michael Schumacher is and how Ferrari produce the best cars in the world. I feel F1 is incomplete without Schumacher and a character like him, who beleives in winning at all costs, who fight till the finishing line and shows some legendary and stunning performances really does boost the image of the sport.

I know people will react to this post by saying how dishonest he is and how he cheats all the time. For this, I can only say that after all these years, after seeing Schumacher's class and inconquerable driving technique and after knowing that Schumacher has delivered most of the best drives in F1, it pains me when people still choose to ignore all that and continue shouting about something that is just a result of an instantaneous decision made by his "winning at all costs attitude". It really pains me ......... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

DaveKillens

ketanpaul, I read your post and respect your opinion. And yes, Micheal Schumacher is truly a great driver.
But I'm much older than you, and I've seen Formula One over many, many years. And yes, many fans have been drawn to the sport because of his name. But this is supposed to be a sport, competition. That is where many drivers and teams battle it out in exciting races throughout the entire season, with the outcome almost always in doubt. History has proven that when one team dominates any sport, it loses it's appeal, and eventually it loses fans.
Michel Schumacher, through his abilities and the political circumstances of the times, has engineered dominance. Yes, I'm not afraid to say it. And while on the surface it appears appealing, to most it has become less of a sport and more of a fixed procession. And admit it, this season has you on the edge of your seat, because of the close competition and the probable outcome.
It's just more exciting this way.
I don't hate Michael Schumacher, in fact I used to cheer for him back around 1998 when he drove his ass off in fierce battle with the McLarens. You see, I had grown tired of McLaren dominance. Many fans do that, lose interest when the outcome seems certain. It's the competition, the fierce battle that make any sport exciting. Who's going to pay to see a boxing match when Mike Tyson faces a forty pound ten year old girl?
I'd rather talk about an exciting race, where competitors battled it out, rather than say to a friend.. "I see he won again."
Every sport needs to change with the times, evolve, offer something new and different every so often. And Formula One has hit a plateau, where real change is hard for the ordinary person to see. Economics, politics, Max Mosley, Bernie, and Micheal Schumacher have all contributed to a sport that has areas of stagnation. When Shu does retire, it will lead to a new, different and interesting Formula One, where we will see new faces, new scenarios, and new fans.

ketanpaul

I see your point DaveKillens, and now I am better prepared for Schumi to retire cause till now I was really depressed. Maybe you're right, change doesn't necessarily mean a change for the worse. But as stupid as it may sound, I will miss the Schumi era not only because of Schumi as a driver but also because I know that underneath the driver lies a great human being who will be remembered not because of his fender benders, but because of his genuine smile which always conveyed a true sense of joy.

manchild

ketanpaul wrote:I feel F1 is incomplete without Schumacher and a character like him, who beleives in winning at all costs...

... it pains me when people still choose to ignore all that and continue shouting about something that is just a result of an instantaneous decision made by his "winning at all costs attitude". It really pains me ......... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I don't get this...

First you say "I feel F1 is incomplete without Schumacher and a character like him, who beleives in "winning at all costs" and after that you say that it pains you because people who dislike him say that it is "just a result of an instantaneous decision made by his "winning at all costs" attitude. "

It sounds as if you like his "winning at all costs" methods but you don't like when someone who dislikes him says he achieved his results by "winning at all costs". :?
Last edited by manchild on 05 Sep 2006, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

DaveKillens

It's interesting how we as spectators see the same thing, yet carry away different interpretations and feelings.
Almost everyone respects Schumacher's intense will to win, his personal inability to surrender. As a lover of sports and intense competition, I am also a firm believer in sportsmanship and fair play. Some say the end justifies the means, that only the points and record book is relevant. I can't call that into question, that is each person's viewpoint.
But there are many, myself and manchild included, who believe the highest level of competition includes sportsmanship, ethics, and accountability. And I believe that the great majority also believe in this, that is why there are rulebooks, penalties, and people dedicated to finding out and punishing wrong-doers. Judges, referees, stewards, they are there to enforce a level playing ground where all the competitors are supposed to play by the same rules. Shu may hold just about every record in wins and achievements, but he also holds the record as the most fined and penalized driver in professional motorsports.
Just different viewpoints, and that leads to heated debate.

Tp
Tp

I'm sorry Dave but I couldn't watch a GP where two drivers, fighting for track position with the latter driver thinking "Well I could fight for the track position and gain the lead, but I'll risk being penalised for dangerous driving." Hell with that, I want to see them fight on track!

I think your missing the point, it's difficult to be successful without being ruthless, without fighting for every lap of every GP. Michael wants to win, he doesn't want third or second, he wants to win - and he seeks for any tiny advantages from a situation.

Monaco '06. Proves to us that Michael (even though it back fired) tried to get an advantage by slowing Alonso, it shows you what lengths Michael will go to win. For a fan of F1 it's good to see that the driver has big determination to win and will seek any advantages he can get. It makes the championship battle that bit more intense and important. It makes good TV and that's what F1's about.

ketanpaul

First you say "I feel F1 is incomplete without Schumacher and a character like him, who beleives in "winning at all costs" and after that you say that it pains you because people who dislike him say that it is "just a result of an instantaneous decision made by his "winning at all costs" attitude. "

It sounds as if you like his "winning at all costs" methods but you don't like when someone who dislikes him says he achieved his results by "winning at all costs". Confused
I know man, you probably think I am a stupid teen but what I meant to say was that When all you think about is winning and suddenly you are in a situation when you are not, you do certain stuff that tends to go over the grey areas of the rulebook. That is exactly what MS does, he thinks so much about winning all the time that when he is in a bad situation, he does do stupid stuff, but that doesn't mean that he is dishonest. I bet Schumi really felt bad about rascasse the night after qualifying. Its just that he doesnt think about the consequences when he is in that "winning at all costs" frame of mind.

Thats what pains me, when people call him an ass when he is one of the greatest people in the world and a great human being

manchild

Tp, dangerous driving isn't what Schuey did to Hakinnen in 1991 to Hill in 1994 to Villeneuve in 1997 and in Monaco 2006. That is pure cheating - no battle with rivals at all but an attempt to get rid of them without beating them by better driving skills. Beating rivals with better driving skills is what F1 is all about and cheating is what F1 isn't. Dangerous driving is what Gilles Villeneuve and Rene Arnoux did in Dijon 1979 - dangerous but fair and without attampt to get rid off rival.

What about Alain Prost as a role model? Having in mind opposition he fought against he is the most successful driver of all times and yet he never did anything similar to Schuey and yet was loved and respected among fans and colleague drivers.

-------------

Ketanpaul, I don’t think you’re stupid and I have no idea about your age. I was just confused with controversy within your post. Sorry if you got such impression. That wasn't my intetion.
Ketanpaul wrote:Its just that he doesn’t think about the consequences when he is in that "winning at all costs" frame of mind.
That’s exactly why he isn’t a great sportsman and that why he isn’t respected by anyone else except his fans and certain percentage of new-born Ferrari fans.
Ketanpaul wrote:That’s what pains me, when people call him an ass when he is one of the greatest people in the world and a great human being
What makes him “one of the greatest people in the world and a great human being”, seven titles? That is just the score and when you analyze how he achieved it that you see that he did it by ignoring basic principles of honesty which any person in any sport, any profession or everyday life has to follow in order to be respected.

He tried to run off rivals, destroy their cars, he raced with illegal cars, he lied to fellow drivers, he lied to FIA stewards, he lied to fans and got caught, he went on and on in circles near the wreckage of his brother’s car with 5 titles in his pocket...

Check out the history of F1 and you’ll see why some drivers who never got the title or got only few became legends and became respected much more than Schuey will ever be. Schuey has never shown a sign of concern and compassion, not even when it matters basic safety of his colleague drivers. He raced to get titles, he got them but along the way the price he paid was loss of any personal characteristics that would earn him any respect as a sportsman and human being. He sold his soul to the Devil – simple as that.

FLC
FLC

Me and others have answered most of ur arguments,manchild, but about the part where you talk about him lapping his brother's wrecked car I got 2 words for you: bleeding heart.
What was he supposed to do? Get out of his car and grab a fire extinguisher? Rush to his brother's car and get his helmet off? Maybe drive the ambulance or fly the helicopter? That is pure nonsence. It doesnt belong in the modern days of F1. It's completly unnecessary.
I have a strong feeling that if he did try something like that, or went to park his car in the pits, some people would actualy use it against him today, saying it was unproffesional conduct.

You dont personally know the guy or his family and ur not in a position to judge things like that. Just to remind you, he and his brother raced right after the death of their mother. Is that acceptable? some might think it is, making both of them great sportsmen. Some wont, thinking it comes from the pursuit after titles. I think it's not for us to judge.

DaveKillens

There are many great racers who are practically revered for accomplishments on the track, personal fortitude, and strength of character. names such as Mike Hailwood (what he did on two wheels is still amazing), Sterling Moss, Graham Hill, Ronnie Peterson, Ayrton Senna, and even Gilles Villeneuve have earned a worthy place in the hearts of many fans. Not only did they race great, they conducted themselves with amazing character. Yes, they each had their moments of controversy, but they have earned a very special respect from the fans, and just as impotantly, their peers.
Respect, that is something Michael has very little of from fans with memories.

ketanpaul

Check out the history of F1 and you’ll see why some drivers who never got the title or got only few became legends and became respected much more than Schuey will ever be. Schuey has never shown a sign of concern and compassion, not even when it matters basic safety of his colleague drivers. He raced to get titles, he got them but along the way the price he paid was loss of any personal characteristics that would earn him any respect as a sportsman and human being. He sold his soul to the Devil – simple as that.
Well maybe you are correct but that is not what got him all the titles. You cant get 7 titles by simply running into your rival cars all the time. True, he has not shown the sportsman spirit everytime he raced but that is simply not the reason for the titles. He didnt achieve his 80-odd poles and 60-odd wins by cheating. That is what I am trying to say, just because he has cheated a couple of times doesnt mean that everything he has achieved is a result of his cheating and that should be understood by everybody.[/code]

manchild

FLC wrote:What was he supposed to do?....
Would you act like him if that was your brother? I'm sure I wouldn't and I'm sure most of the people who put life and health infront of glory and success would have stopped - not because of something practical but for the piece of their mind. If he had stopped than and said goodbye to chances of winning that race everyone would respect him for that.

He had already won 5 titles and was leading the championshiop without any danger from rivals. He had nothing to loose by stopping except 10 points but once again he choose points over respect. That's how his mind works and that's why he is ruthless driving machine with no emotions but pure selfishness.
Last edited by manchild on 06 Sep 2006, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.