Italian GP 2006

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild
manchild

Italian GP 2006

Last edited by manchild on 08 Sep 2006, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.

Principessa

That wouldn't be good for Renault and the Michelin teams...right? Wasn't it so that they said at Hungary that if it was a wet race that the Bridgestone's would do better? (Okay, Ferrari had the wrong set of tyres at Hungary, but perhaps it would have turned out differently when they would have had the rain tyres)

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Maybe the rain Bridgestones could be improved at Monza, but it has to be noted that in the rain, at Hungary,Alonso was flying. Through no fault of his own did he not score points.
But the chances of rain are low, it will probably be dry, but relatively cool as compared to the last few races.
Isn't it exciting how each race takes on added importance? Michael and Ferrari pretty well have to run perfect races from now on, with Shu finishing first and Massa second to keep Alonso from scoring better than third. Personally, I want to see Alonso hang on to his lead and capture the WDC. But also, it's fascinating the battles going on, the drama, and possibilities unfolding.
F1, gotta love it.

m3_lover

Plus a lot of rain on the straights.. might be too dangerous.. I can see Webber saying that LOL
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Jason

Good, another wet race to see how the 'so-called Rain Master' spins his Ferrari out of control. :twisted:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

speed12
speed12

'so-called Rain Master'? Did you see how much faster and more confident he was than Massa in the rain at Hungary?

It's not fair to compare him to Alonso during that race, as Alonso clearly had the better tire in the wet conditions. Wet races are so much more interesting.

BTW, revised forecast is Sunday
Scattered Clouds. High: 71° F. / 22° C. Wind light.

pRo

speed12 wrote:It's not fair to compare him to Alonso during that race, as Alonso clearly had the better
Isn't that what we always do? Compare drivers against other drivers in other teams with completely different tools.

It's funny when some people think that when someone's fast, it's just because he's fast. But when he's slow, it's just because his car is slow. :wink:
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

saam
saam

If people dont know why MS is called the "rain master" then what do they really know about F1 is the question i would be asking !!!!!
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

ginsu
ginsu

Now that we have a serious close up, somebody please explain to me how the heck this could improve flow through the brakes?

Obviously, you would want the fairing to be smooth on the inside to make a duct for the air to flow through, but instead it's just a shield...it's obviously an aerodynamic part for external airflow...nobody will ever be able to convince me otherwise after seeing this picture.
I love to love Senna.

mini696

Looks to me like those vanes could induce a flow inside the rim. Whether that works or not I guess is for Ferrari to know.

It would be even worse it they were completely sealed, that wouldnt allow any hot air to escape.

speed12
speed12

pRo wrote:But when he's slow, it's just because his car is slow. :wink:
I didn't say car, I said tires :wink:

Besides, I never compare Alonso and Schumacher's driving abilities, frankly though if Alonso is not faster driver than Schumacher right now, Alonso must suck by comparison. Which I don't believe. Here's why, age difference, Alonso has just reached his very peak Schumacher is getting slower reaction times as he ages, comparing a 25 year old Schumacher to a 25 year old Alonso is impossible comparison to make. I can say they are both great drivers, they both started at the age of 3 years to drive. However, IMO Schumacher would be the fastest at the same age, however, that's just opinion, and the difference between them would be small in any case.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Based on that picture, I don't see any advantages of such a wheel cover for the purpose of extracting hot brake air. The air would flow from the intake duct on the inside hub, through the inside of the rotor, then outwards through the wheel spokes. But since the wheel is rotating, and the air has a slight amount of mass, be forced outwards against the inside of the rim. From there, it has to migrate inwards, toward the middle of the wheel center of rotation, to finally exit that hole. You would probably build a better system if you had an angled outside rim, and small vanes to help capture the air, and use centrifugal force to extract the hot brake air.
That is, if that is it's true purpose. But it sure is a nice fairing along the outside of the rear wheel cutting down turbulence, and most likely lowering drag in that area and allowing higher top speed.

m3_lover

Alot of f1 news websites are saying that Renault will have UPS as a title Sponsor... can you imagine a Brown Renault??
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Figlio_del_Diavolo

I worked for UPS for a while for their plant engineering department and have told a lot of people they need to get in on the F1 game, especially with the viewership in areas where UPS has big ambitions of making big moves in. *cough* China *cough* They sponsor Dale Jarrett in NASCAR and are making the jump from Ford to Toyota in Nextel Cup, but F1 is the big show and their two big competitors are involved.

EDIT: Any article links about the UPS involvement BTW?
"Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better." - Hunter S. Thompson

bhall
bhall

Figlio_del_Diavolo wrote:Any article links about the UPS involvement BTW?
A little something...http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17396.html