Schumacher to retire

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
allan

manchild,didn't u forget the vodafone logo on alonso's suit??

Principessa

The fans don't want to see Kimi in Schumi's place :P

saam

When will you people realise that EVERYONE love it or not, wants to drive for the RED team..... 8)
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

Hudsonhawk.

Manchild.

Shouldn't fartnando be in the middle in 2007....orrrrrr was it the renault that gave him his 2 WC (well maybe 2)??

The only string i pulled is the one between ------......(ehhh, getting a little personal now)......nevermind

Alonso's got a BIG head......he must think he is good right???? or is he still wearing his helmet??? :shock:

Good work brother

emburmak

MS always said he would pick his own time to leave. In 2005 with no KR on the horizon when ferrari wanted a 2 year extension MS baulked. Even then he must have surmised that it would be difficult to maintain his level of consistency and motivation. Only then did Ferrari start looking for alternatives and really that boiled down to two or three at that time---FA KR (JPM?).

As MH and AP said once you start thinking about retiring that is the correct time to stop. For the first time in his career in 2005 the R word came out of his own lips. It was on his mind but how best to do it? He needed a great year to go out on a high still acknowledged as the best. Lo and behold we have the 2006 season a trully great one. Even if he does not win the WDC to come back from a 25 point deficit is not only incredible but one of the greatest comebacks in F1 history.

From 1994-2002 he was nonperil. 2002-2004 he was still the best but the young pretenders were snapping at his heels. By 2005 they were three with MS still marginally in front. This year it is too close to call. But the main thing is that MS's powers have been declining albeit slowly. More than anybody else the man can notice the decline. MS's greatest strengths has been the ability to string blistering laps at crucial times in a race. Can he still that? Yes he can. But can he still do that as consistently and as frequently? No he cannot.

The races at Bahrain & Turkey are perfect examples of MS now as against his prime. Let me concentrate on the latter. After the second pit stops inspite of his mistakes he started mounting one of his classic charges. After the final pitstops his was about a sec behind. Must ppl claimed he lost b/c of his earlier error. But an analysis of his attacking laps prior to pitting belies that. Instead of string of laps within a tenth or two and going consistently quicker as per the norm, his times were everywhere. IIRC the last two were 1.28.1 and 1.28.8. He literally lost the place b/c he was not as consistent as he used to be.

MS has given the reasons but still you cannot see. He is aging, his customary tools losing their extreme sharpness. Two or three years ago he would have eaten KR for breakfast had a nap and had FA for lunch. He cannot do that now and while he is still a match for them I do not think that is the best way for a trully great champion to leave the stage. He is leaving at the right time when he is still acknowledged as the best. 8) 8)

Saribro

Interesting analysis there, emburmak.

Ciro Pabón

The reasons? Well, a new opinion:

Pablo Montoya, father of Juan Pablo stated yesterday on Caracol that he believes Renault had a "second option" on Kimi. He thinks Montezzemolo had to think about Ferrari's future, that Michael had few years left and that had not Schumi retired, Kimi would have gone to Renault. I won't try to translate the full interview, as some Ferrari fans could die of a heart attack.

For example, he called the attention of reporters to the distance between Todt, Montezzemolo and Schumacher at the end of the race, claiming that was not Mr. Schumacher decission, but an imposition by Ferrari.

Guys, I do not know in your countries, but here, we like people that says what they think. You may (you will) claim he is mistaken, but let me tell you Mr. Montoya Sr. is no dumb*ss. He is an architect that loves racing and that took the career of his son to heights most promoters only dream of.

He went to great lengths to explain how Bridgestone (at one point he said Ferrari... and claimed, "well, you could say Bridgestone or Ferrari, is almost the same thing") was totally beaten last year, when tires had to last for one race... that changes in one-set-of-tires-per-race this year, to allow several sets, were made only to benefit Ferrari and that this will mean at least three years of Ferrari dominance again, while the other teams react and get another tire maker into the series.

Well, maybe these are the reasons you are asking about why Schumacher retired. To me, all the delay, all the suspense, is hard to explain in any other way. Had this been really a decission made by Schumacher, torn between continuing or going, I wonder where are the retirement homages. I wonder if (as some people at my office say about ME) they are going to throw the goodbye party one day after he leaves (without him, of course... ).

If you understand spanish and want to hear this funny and revolutionary interview, of a guy that knows the sport and has no interest at all in it nowadays, you can hear it at http://www.caracol.com.co/. You'll have to click on the link named "Pablo Montoya desmiente un eventual regreso de Juan Pablo a la Fórmula 1".

Before you argue that this are the sore words of the father of a loser (I know, I know...), let me tell you that he claimed that Juan Pablo had only three or four years left in F1, that he had to stay "in the middle of the pack" these years and that he believes his son did all he could in F1, except winning the world championship.

Oh, man, how I love straight talkers... they make you think. This does not mean that I believe the not-so-veiled accusations of rule bending in favour of Ferrari, wich fall under the category of external-to-the-organization, typical Ferrari bashing.

But he raises the fact that Ferrari options to reach an all-star rooster in the future were certainly limited, that the Williams-McLaren fight of a few years ago have become Renault-Ferrari, and finally, that reaching Ferrari on Bridgestones is a hard proposition.
Ciro

emburmak

Sorry Ciro but that is just the comments of the father of a sour loser. If JPM had lived up to his hype maybe he should have been the one at ferrari. I loved JPM when he arrived and it is painful to witness his demise. Results in F1 are the thing and no matter how you look at it JPM failed to deliver. And this comment is from a fan.8)

Ciro Pabón

emburmak wrote:Sorry Ciro but that is just the comments of the father of a sour loser. If JPM had lived up to his hype maybe he should have been the one at ferrari. I loved JPM when he arrived and it is painful to witness his demise. Results in F1 are the thing and no matter how you look at it JPM failed to deliver. And this comment is from a fan.8)
Well, this is sort of what Mr. Montoya said. He is not denying it and does not seem upset about it. So, at least, he does not seem to be sour. It seems to me he agrees with you: you cannot always do what you want, no matter how much the newspapers may wish that to happen. Apparently the Montoyas understand that. But I had great times watching Juan Pablo and I am sure I will continue to have them. Actually, my admiration for Juan Montoya has increased after his corageous and (for me, at least) intelligent move.

How could you not admire a guy that was so close when nobody could beat Michael "The Steam Roller" Schumacher? What he accomplished occurred during years in which F1's old problem of "assimetry of investment" was exacerbated.

Montoya does not come from a tradition of racing: he is a pure race animal, whose notorious character independence was based on his incredible abilities for self-learning. All the times he could race under the old system of qualifying, simply pedal to the metal, with much less "strategy", he was unsurpassed even by Schumacher and Ferrari. This is what, I think, made this guy such a hard thing to swallow even to Michael.

Alas, the days when a pilot by pure "intelligence on board" (and a good pair :) ) could make all the difference, are long gone: now you need a lot of people and everyone of them has to be the best at what he is doing.

I bet few persons in this forum would deny a beer for Montoya if he appeared at your bar, and, for me, this says all about his career, a proposition that can be contrasted interestingly with the situation of Michael Schumacher. :wink:
Ciro

RH1300S

He he - good video

To his credit - it's good to see that he was trying hard.

Carlos

Thanks for the video Manchild. Definitely added to my bookmark favourites! Now if we could only find video of all the current F! drivers, we could compile a " Greatest Hits " package. Maybe titled. " F! Most Embarassing Moments " Actually it's kind of a " Drive Safe Education " Vid

Regards Carlos

monkeyboy1976

An overview of MS career in pictures......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/5327572.stm

boban-mk

pRo wrote:I'm with you. Never really been a fan of Kimi, not before he made it to F1 and possibly even less after it. He really is a good, or should I say bad, example of what can happen to a guy who gets success. Yes, even before the world knew him from F1.
From your statement mr. pPo a can imagine that you don't know anything, or shoud I say know nothing.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

emburmak

Ciro Pabón wrote:
emburmak wrote:Sorry Ciro but that is just the comments of the father of a sour loser. If JPM had lived up to his hype maybe he should have been the one at ferrari. I loved JPM when he arrived and it is painful to witness his demise. Results in F1 are the thing and no matter how you look at it JPM failed to deliver. And this comment is from a fan.8)

How could you not admire a guy that was so close when nobody could beat Michael "The Steam Roller" Schumacher? What he accomplished occurred during years in which F1's old problem of "assimetry of investment" was exacerbated.

Montoya does not come from a tradition of racing: he is a pure race animal, whose notorious character independence was based on his incredible abilities for self-learning. All the times he could race under the old system of qualifying, simply pedal to the metal, with much less "strategy", he was unsurpassed even by Schumacher and Ferrari. This is what, I think, made this guy such a hard thing to swallow even to Michael.

Alas, the days when a pilot by pure "intelligence on board" (and a good pair :) ) could make all the difference, are long gone: now you need a lot of people and everyone of them has to be the best at what he is doing.

I bet few persons in this forum would deny a beer for Montoya if he appeared at your bar, and, for me, this says all about his career, a proposition that can be contrasted interestingly with the situation of Michael Schumacher. :wink:

I would definitely buy MS a beer as would a lot of others. He did not come from a great racing tradition either. :)

A pity about JPM all his great talent availed hom not. He had great talent but it was in the application that he failed to match his contemporaries. To cut a long story short--he 'could not cut the mustard'. He has fallen in alot of ppls estimation and sadly I have to count myslef as one of them. He with a bang promised so much but left with a whimper, beaten. A great shame I watched from his F3 days but sadly I will not befolllowing him to Nascar. 8)