Your tributes to Michael Schumacher

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theSuit

The man isn't perfect. He's made some mistakes, and, perhaps in keeping with the scale of his successes, some of them have been very severe.

It's all to easy to try and reduce the man to saint or sinner, and I think that's would be wrong. Schumacher's great strength was his breadth, a very skillful driver in all aspect of the trade, from his fitness, PR, setup and the many aspects of race driving.

A few years back there was an interview with Michael on the BBC, and went the matter of his conduct with Damon Hill came up, his answer was to accept his error. But, he pointed out, you must remember that he 'grew up' watching the games between Prost and Senna, back when F1 was less sanitized.

I remember a comment made by Keke Rossberg or Jackie Steward or one of the other old timers in the wake of Monaco this year, that the difference between Michael and Senna was that though they'd both run you off the road, at least Senna would tell you that he was going to before the race. Perhaps Michael's weak area was the lack of care for what others thought of him.

There is a side of me that understands the willingness to do anything in pursuit of victory - the urge to push every rule, and to accept the fact that doing that means you will break the rules at times. That strength of desire to win must be admired. But going to far and breaching the rules makes any win meaningless of course.

His achievements are unrivaled. There is not much more that one can say in praise than that that is not a string of superlatives... and there in a list of results.

Even during the rough times with Ferrari, he kept his criticism private. I have the distinct impression that he was never vindictive - when circumstances went against him or other's actions cost him he remained far more professional than most others do. I think it behoves us to realize how well he was liked by those who worked with him. There was so much more to him than we were ever privy to.

I wish him the very best.

Tp
Tp

Well put the suit, it's reassuring to know that there are people on this forum that know that every argument has two sides and knows that Michael's controversial 'moves' and incidents were a result of Michael's commitment and ruthlessness. Two strong qualities that made him very successful.

I have great respect for people who may not support Michael but can appreciate why he's so successful. And not much respect for people who do not have the intelligence to have an opinion that they have to copy and paste an opinion from another site.

basrawi

M Basrawi

boban-mk

We all know that. Good video.

If you find the chat where some smart stupids discussed that MS is not a good driver on wet conditions, please add the link there also.

RacingManiac

3 Aspects of Michael Schumacher:

The professional: Who raised the bar for the preparation of a racing car driver, to keep himself in excellent physical fitness, who can communicate with his team and deliver the technical know-how that the engineers need to make the car better.

The Team Player: who stands by his team, his men, through good time AND bad time. Praises who helps him win in public and works out the kinks in private. Never mouth off who he works with even when they may clearly be the party to blame. Always PR savvy and says the right thing at the right moment.

The Driver:
A ruthlessly skilled, talented, and intelligent racer who's racecraft in underlined by a unshakeable will to win at all cost. This drives him to push for that last tenth and grab any oppotunity he can get to achieve victory. This is what carries him to those 90 wins and the 7 championships so far, but this is also the culprit that gave us the 94 Hill, 97 Villeneuve, 06 Monaco, the Schumi-chop, and what gave him the reputation that he had. Whether you loath it or love it, this is what made Michael Schumacher special, and unlikely you are ever going to see an equal of the man.

I am a big fan of the man, for all 3 aspects, and I do wonder why sometimes he does those things that seems so ill-logical and counter productive, but the same driving force that drives him to do those thing also drove him to all those successes along the way.

F1 will not be the same without him.

wazojugs

ohh i am shaking..
Last edited by wazojugs on 11 Sep 2006, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

manchild

boban-mk wrote:We all know that. Good video.

If you find the chat where some smart stupids discussed that MS is not a good driver on wet conditions, please add the link there also.
Damon Hill's F1 career started at same time as Schuey's. In that period Damon won 3 times in Spa while Schuey won 4 times in Spa but Schuey was called "King of Ardennes" by press that were sucking up to him while Hill wasn't even called good for racing in Spa. That's just one example of exaggerating without alibi.

Rain master was Senna's title and no one ever before him or after him was as close to be called like that. Schuey had crashes on wet just any other driver so his wasn't really a "rain master" at all. Hunagrain GP 2006 showed it just as Monaco GP 2000.

DaveKillens

As we contemplate the news, we witness the end of an era of greatness. Love him or hate him, Michael Schumacher dominated Formula One racing in a manner never seen before, and most likely never repeated.
It's sometimes difficult to believe that such a machine of winning is a human being, but behind those eyes is a man with an unbridled drive and comittment to winning. Sometimes it drove him to controversy, but it was the force that made him push himself, others, and his car to maximum heights of performance.
Michael, I say to you, "thanks for the memories". I have sat there and cheered, cursed, and jumped up and down with joy, or sometimes disappointment. I was never won over to being a fan, but I have the utmost respect for your abilities, your drive and commitment. You never looked back, you never paused, you never quit.
Remember this day, because if you are a fan or detractor, one day in the future you can boast, "yes, I saw Michael Schumacher race."

Spencifer_Murphy

I am by no means a schumacher fan, personally I believe a great talent will be tainted by some dubious moves on his part. But lets not get into the good vs bad sides of MS arguments...

...desipte my dislike of Michael it is undenighable that he is (not nessecarily the fastest F1 driver ever - not even of the last decarde) but most definately the most complete and (possibly) the most ruthlessly consistent driverof his era and possibly ever.

Although I sometimes feel cheated as having seen a cheat win in '94, and an attempted at the same in '97 and now seeing the FIA blatently making this as hard as possible for Fernando for Schumi's sake, one thing stands out for me...

I am privalaged to have been able to witness the entirerty of a career that - statistically - may never be equaled. A great F1 driver (said through gritted teeth lol!)
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

boban-mk

manchild wrote:so he wasn't really a "rain master" at all. Hunagrain GP 2006 showed it just as Monaco GP 2000.
Hungarian GP 2006 didn't show at all that MS is bad driver on wet. He was not best driver, but a far better driver with bridgestone tires then anybody else. If you compare him with masa, truly, ralf you can see a huge difference. Only reason for performance were tyres.

I'm a fan of McLarens until now, and i remember five or ten years ago that i pray before any race to not have a wet race. Why, because i knew that when that happends MS wins for sure.

Some of as discuss about some issues that are clear as tear.

Respect, people, respect.

mini696

Michael, never liked you, never will.

Thanks for being a great driver, pity you aren't a sportsman.

RH1300S

For me, this is not the time to dig up all the negatives.........

It is, with some relief that I see MS announce his retirement - Whatever happens in the championship this year, he will go out on a high note. Probably better for MS if Renault win, otherwise another stink will follow him.

Michael Schumacher at his peak was one of the great racing drivers; he was seemingly able to wrestle pole position when it was not really in the car, his race pace is staggering and relentless. He probably raised the bar more than any other driver in recent years in making the "job" of racing driver a complete package - with every aspect geared towards winning - driving, fitness, car, team........all centred around one man with one aim.

His relentless competitiveness showed deep areas of weakness - in those we see an unacceptable face - for many this weighs heavier than the positives.

A very flawed genius........

For me, the numbers in his career mean very little - the bits worth noting are little nuggets, some incredible races and invidual performances

kilcoo316

manchild wrote:Hunagrain GP 2006 showed it just as Monaco GP 2000.
By far the most competitive Bridgestone runner in Budapest 2006, and Monaco 2000 was dry, his suspension broke as a result of exhaust heat.

Damon Hill won twice in Spa in the best machinery on the grid, and won his third as a result of Coulthard's "contract job" on MS.

God forbid that had been Irvine on Hakkinen, the conspiracy troops wouldn't have shut up about it to this day.

saam

Lets not delude ourselves here, clearly the best driver of all time. YES people tend to work towards his negatives, but that will always be the case, especially if he keeps beating the team or driver that YOU support, (over and over again...)hahaha

I will continue to follow F1 like always, i hope there will be exciting drivers to watch as MS shoes will never be replaced

Im willing to bet when MS retires, if he were to step inside a car 4 years later that he would get a poduim finish at worst, (if not win it)

Nobody will ever come close....
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

monkeyboy1976

In terms of records certainly the best racing driver F1 has ever seen. As for character, it's hard to really tell. The public have an image of a hard-nosed racer who is not shy of a bit of rule bending and manipulation to get what he wants. The team say that he is a genuine fella. Who knows?
Either way, personally I respect him, rather than like him.
It's hard to compare F1 greats directly, but Senna is still my favourite.

As a Ferrari fan, I have been waiting for some new blood in the red cars for a few years now. Raikkonen is an intriguing prospect.
It was intersting to see Schumacher chatting to him on the podium on Sunday: "Next year son, this will all be yours. They are a tough bunch. Good luck"

Time for a new era in F1.

So, it's goodbye Schumi, and thanks for all the fish.