Stupid question...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pompelmo

Stupid question...

Who's gonna be No. 1 if Schumy wins the title???

wazojugs

If Ferrari win massa would have his number 2 and kimi could be give 0 as was given to damon hill when he raced for williams after prost retired after winning the WDC

Tom

I thought it was Mansell who buggered off to America cause no one would stump up the cash he wanted?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

zac510

Tom wrote:I thought it was Mansell who buggered off to America cause no one would stump up the cash he wanted?
It happened both 1993 and 1994.

wazojugs

Tom wrote:I thought it was Mansell who buggered off to America cause no one would stump up the cash he wanted?
Ah ha correct you are! but they could still do that

pRo

wazojugs wrote:If Ferrari win massa would have his number 2 and kimi could be give 0 as was given to damon hill when he raced for williams after prost retired after winning the WDC
With current points, Massa would get 0 and Kimi 2. I believe they recently changed the rules so that a driver who scored more points (previous season) will have the lower number.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

wazojugs

pRo wrote:
wazojugs wrote:If Ferrari win massa would have his number 2 and kimi could be give 0 as was given to damon hill when he raced for williams after prost retired after winning the WDC
With current points, Massa would get 0 and Kimi 2. I believe they recently changed the rules so that a driver who scored more points (previous season) will have the lower number.
fingers crossed that could be the number of races wins for 2007, i am off down the bookies

bhall

pRo wrote:With current points, Massa would get 0 and Kimi 2. I believe they recently changed the rules so that a driver who scored more points (previous season) will have the lower number.
Actually, when it comes to race numbers, it doesn't matter who scores the most points within the team.

If Schumacher wins the Championship, next year Ferrari will be assigned the numbers 0 and 2. It's up to Ferrari to decide who gets what number.

At Honda this year, Honda gave Barrichello the number 11 simply because he preferred it to 12; Button didn't mind, even though he is the first driver.

Hypothetically, if Schumacher were to go to another team after having won the Championship, he would take the number 1 with him, and his new teammate would use the number 2. The rest of the numbers for the other teams would be assigned according to the finish among constructors.

pRo

bhallg2k wrote:
pRo wrote:With current points, Massa would get 0 and Kimi 2. I believe they recently changed the rules so that a driver who scored more points (previous season) will have the lower number.
Actually, when it comes to race numbers, it doesn't matter who scores the most points within the team.

If Schumacher wins the Championship, next year Ferrari will be assigned the numbers 0 and 2. It's up to Ferrari to decide who gets what number.
Are you sure that's still how it goes for next season?

I remember reading they just changed that. It used to be like you said, but not anymore.
(I'm not 100% sure and too lazy to dig it up)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

monkeyboy1976

Scenarios are thus (I think) :-

Scenario 1
Alonso wins WDC, Renault win WCC
2007 Renault car numbers 3&4
2007 Ferrari car numbers 5&6
2007 McLaren car numbers 1&2

Scenario 2