Bernie speaks up!!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild
manchild

Bernie speaks up!!!

No more "theory" in front of conspiracy!

http://www.f1editorial.com/index.php?pa ... cleID=3232
http://www.motorsport-network.com/index ... 3691.shtml
Bernie Ecclestone says he understands the anger of Renault's Flavio Briatore and Fernando Alonso following the stewards' controversial qualifying penalty at Monza.

The F1 supremo used the word 'farce' when describing the punishment handed down after Alonso allegedly impeded Ferrari's Felipe Massa last Saturday.

F1's governing body is currently investigating Briatore's insinuation on Italian television that the FIA is conspiring to allow Ferrari to win the championship. But far from support a possible charge of disrepute, 75-year-old Ecclestone agrees that he saw 'no proof' that Massa was obstructed on his hot lap.

The diminutive Briton even went as far as to tell Germany's Sport Bild publication in an interview that Ferrari is the only team 'that gets political support' from the FIA.

Saribro
Saribro

Oh boy ... this could get interesting :).

Venom
Venom

I agree with bernies comments, FIA isn't always fair. Hopefully, after Schumacher retires things will change for good :)

However in Monaco renault engine failed which prevented Alonso from gaining any points. The FIA's decision had no influence over it.
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

manchild
manchild

Venom wrote:I agree with bernies comments, FIA isn't always fair. Hopefully, after Schumacher retires things will change for good :)

However in Monaco renault engine failed which prevented Alonso from gaining any points. The FIA's decision had no influence over it.
Monza, no no... that doesn't change a bit FIA's responisbility.

manchild
manchild

Nice quotes here http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp? ... sec=sports
Ecclestone backs Renault

HAMBURG: Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone (pic) has come out in support of Renault and the team's boss Flavio Briatore over the controversial five-place penalty given to Fernando Alonso.

The world champion was placed back five places on the grid after race stewards found him guilty of hindering Ferrari's Felipe Massa during qualifying.

Ecclestone told yesterday's edition of Sport Bild that the decision to ban the 'mass damper' on the Renault had already been wrong.

“But the penalty for Alonso is a farce.”

Alonso managed to move into third place from tenth during Sunday's Italian Grand Prix but had to withdraw with engine problems, allowing Ferrari's Michael Schumacher, who won the race, to close the gap on the Spaniard to just two points with three races to go.

Ecclestone said he had watched the video, spoken to Renault officials and the FIA technical director Charlie Whiting. “I Just can't see any evidence that Alonso hindered Massa.” dpa

Rob W

manchild wrote:Nice quotes here http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp? ... sec=sports
Ecclestone backs Renault

...Ecclestone told yesterday's edition of Sport Bild that the decision to ban the 'mass damper' on the Renault had already been wrong. ..

..“But the penalty for Alonso is a farce.”...
The wheels are starting to fall off a bit too much for my liking. For the 'head' of a sport to essentially accept that things are going wrong and that political reasons for punishments being dished out are starting to creep in is not a good sign.

Are Max's days numbered? Charlie's?

Rob W

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Bernie's a smart man, and knows which way the wind is blowing. He talks to a lot of people and my assumption is that many team principles have reservations and concerns that the same thing could be applied to them if unchecked.
Max is another type of animal, bullish, fascist, opinionated, and confrontational. It's no secret he has a personal liking for Ferrari, and the trail of recent decisions leads a path to his door.
Public opinion, especially on fixed races does have an effect, I personally believe one reason we no longer have a race in Austria is because of when Barrichello ceded first place to Schumacher.

Ted68

So the mass-damper was legal last year, for the first part of this year, and the decision to ban it was wrong. Will it be back next race?

Yeah, okay, nevermind, I forgot---Go Scuderia FIA!

West
West

I'd like to see Bernie and Max yell at each other during Brundle's (or Windsor's) pitwalk... that would certainly make the next race exciting (knowing that Alonso will be penalized for having tires on his race car)
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Sawtooth-spike

It will be the sunday rule! you know the one that says blue cars cant win on sundays?

its very interesting, i would see this as a political move from bernie, the guy is smart and sly. I would not be suprized if he has some other agenda.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

boban-mk

Eclestone is a showman and He can say anything that will have good comercial impact on F1.
One day he say that MS can go, second day he say MS should stay and so on. He should be concentrated on bringing more famous faces on f1 races and relax.
I don't need to be expert to know does Mass dumper is ilegal or not. I just see that reno has lost half second per lap after removing it. I remember their statements were like, it's not something important, and it doesn't give big advance, but we see the oposite.

FLC
FLC

Not just that Bernie is a show man, The Bild is a tabloid. I've looked for this story on any of the serious sites and there is nothing.

manchild
manchild

FLC wrote:Not just that Bernie is a show man, The Bild is a tabloid. I've looked for this story on any of the serious sites and there is nothing.
So it isn't the truth just because the news is from late last night and not already quoted by all medias? You're forgeting that Bernie is a guy who owns F1 before being a showman. Sport Bild is famous German sport tabloid. I'm sure that if they lied Bernie will put them on trial.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?search=bernie
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?search=ecclestone

RH1300S
RH1300S

It still needs "theory" in front.

I think Bernie's great; but quite honestly I don't think you can take what he says at face value (ever? :twisted: ). Sometimes I think he says stuff out of pure mischief 8) . He also often has an agenda.

At least he won't be saying what he thinks the FIA want to hear (unless it suits him to do so).

Maybe it's not a conspiracy - maybe Ferrari just play the words game better than the others and get decisions running their way..... :wink: Did I say that? :shock:

saam
saam

Just goes to show that the FIA shouldnt have changed all the rules bit by bit from the start of the ferrari domination, so that YOU other poor people could get to see another driver or constructors win....

FIA should have let the little people catch up all on their own. You just cant please anyone these days
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........