Remembering a track makes me remember more.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens

Remembering a track makes me remember more.

With the critical race at Suzuka coming up, I remembered so clearly what happened in 1989 and 1990. At that track, Senna and Prost took each other out, in the most controversial manners. And then my mind wanders to one of the greats, and some quotes.

"To race is to live. All the rest is simply waiting."
- Rudolf Caracciola

"...the last qualifying session. I was already on pole, then by half a second and then one second and I just kept going. Suddenly I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my team mate with the same car. And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. It was like I was in a tunnel. Not only the tunnel under the hotel but the whole circuit was a tunnel. I was just going and going, more and more and more and more. I was way over the limit but still able to find even more.
"Then suddenly something just kicked me. I kind of woke up and realised that I was in a different atmosphere than you normally are. My immediate reaction was to back off, slow down. I drove slowly back to the pits and I didn't want to go out any more that day. It frightened me because I was well beyond my conscious understanding."

Ayrton described in detail an odd feeling that he got during his qualifying laps for the 1988 Monaco GP. He set a time in excess of two seconds quicker than his teammate Alain Prost. To some, this is considered a perfect lap, maybe the greatest single lap in the entire history of motorsport.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

manchild

Senna really had something that makes him stand out from all other drivers. Not in a way that he was better than the rest but he had some unique aura that can be sensed even when one looks at his photographs. Absolute concentration and yet absolute relaxation and calmness - all of that in the same time. I can't explain it correctly but even today looking at his photos has some strange sedating and comforting effect on me.

Last edited by manchild on 05 Oct 2006, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.

RH1300S

Ayrton Senna was special, I know what you are trying to describe Manchild; an intensity and also a stillness of soul. Can't find a word for it.

DaveKillens

Personally, I believe he was born for that role. That is an overused saying, "he was born to it", but this time it applies.
Not in the genetics, or upbringing, or environment. I don't want to wander into personal religious beliefs, but if any one person was destined to be a great racer, it was him.

manchild

DaveKillens wrote:Personally, I believe he was born for that role. That is an overused saying, "he was born to it", but this time it applies.
Not in the genetics, or upbringing, or environment. I don't want to wander into personal religious beliefs, but if any one person was destined to be a great racer, it was him.
Indeed. I can't image him doing anything else - not because he had no other skills but because his soul would slave away in everything except racing and in racing it was absolutely free.

Tom

I never watched him race but Prost was always the greatest driver for me. He had a very French air of, 'yeah, it's easy really, look, I hardly need to turn the wheel to get round the corner.' Its such a laid back thing, like the stereotypical Frenchman pointing with his feet so he doesn't have to get his hands out of his pockets. Loeb has the same amazing quality, he only has to lean the right way to get round the corner, usually.

I remember seeing Sebastian drag his Xsara 70Kms to the service are, ariving with only two wheels earlier this year. When asked why he didn't change the wheels he cooly replied, why should he bother, he knew he could make it home. Alan would have done the same, I have no doubt.

Just my opinion on seeing the videos and pictures and no doubt it will offend someone, the infamous 1989 incident, I think most of the blame lay on Senna's shoulders, Prost threw the car in from a long way back and was totally committed whereas Senna didn't notice him until he arrived in the corner to find his teammate already there. OK, not Senna's fault, but not Prost's either, he had the corner and had no way of warning Ayrton. His only hope was the Brazzilian looking in his mirrors which he saddly didn't this lap. Of course this was before I was born so I have no idea of the hype created by the championship situation and what it all led to.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild

That Mclaren vs Mclaren incident was real racing incident and it was very difficult to blame anyone. I agree with Tom about Prost - he was THE driver of my liking. Always on top but silent and cool.

DaveKillens

Tom wrote:Of course this was before I was born so I have no idea of the hype created by the championship situation and what it all led to.
That's a very good point Tom, there's always the emotions of the day. Case in point, France and Brazil, each favorites in the '86 World Cup, went into a shootout in the quarter finals, France winning 4-3 in what many consider one of the greatest games in soccer. So things like that cross over when nationalities clash.
Everyone who watched that race knew those two men had a strong disliking for each other.
I watched them all live, and have my own impressions. For 1989, it was 50/50, each was fighting hard into that corner, this was Senna's move to pass, and Prost didn't give. Prost could have given way, but hey, it was a tie and he just didn't give ground. In '90 it was clear cut, it was payback by Senna.
I don't consider Prost a dirty driver, but he played tough. When he was battling Piquet a few years earlier, he threw a fierce mind-f--k into him, mind games of the highest level to win the title. But Prost set the standard for effortless, smooth, consistent driving many strive for.
But it sure is exciting watch gladiators meet on the field of battle.

pRo

manchild wrote:Absolute concentration and yet absolute relaxation and calmness
And I can't believe how well he described it in the first text. There comes a time when you get that feeling and suddenly everything seems very easy and almost like things are happening in slow motion and you're in control. Feels like you're not even trying your best, just relaxing and enjoying it, but also beating everyone else with a huge marginal. Weird feeling, but a great feeling. I've been lucky to achieve that two times myself. I can only wish it was easy to get "there" when you want to. Maybe some can, I can't.

(and no, never got that feeling on a track, but in other sports I do, I don't race professionally anyway)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

RH1300S

Senna's description was pure poetry - he was such a magnetic speaker; that and his otherworldy approach to driving made him special. His track ethics (IMHO) started the world we live in today, but really not part of this discussion ;).

I never quite "got" Prost, I like my drivers to be warriors (like Mansell). Without question Alain was a sublime talent in a car..........My first "live" F1 experience was Brands Hatch 1986, we were on the inside of Paddock and the viewpoint let you look down on the cars (into the cockpit) - of all the drivers Prost was outstanding in that he was literally guiding the car with his finger-tips 8)

taleed

"Every driver has his own unique driving style with which comes it's pros and cons".
There is a place for those who dare to dream

taleed

...any comments about my statement?
There is a place for those who dare to dream

a fan of the red team

true true..... so true... like kimi the iceman... so calm so fast... juan 'the monster' pablo montoya.... fisi 'i'm slower than alonso in the same car'.... alonso 'i'm a conservative driver'.... taku sato 'i like to crash with stuff and other cars'.... or schumi 'i'm probably going to lose this race so i better do something unreasonable'... hehe.... no offense to everyone but all this is quite true... so true... every race car driver have their own way of driving..

manchild

Just found mpeg of Senna's Monaco lap

:arrow: http://www.upload.racecarparts.co.uk/se ... o_lap.mpeg