Monty qualifies second in stock car debute

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jgredline

Monty qualifies second in stock car debute

To finish first, first you must finish.

West
West

I really hope that the fans don't give him sh*t for not being a "good ol' boy" from Alabama. As much as I didn't want him leaving F1, that's a really good start.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

manchild
manchild

West wrote:I really hope that the fans don't give him sh*t for not being a "good ol' boy" from Alabama. As much as I didn't want him leaving F1, that's a really good start.
I newer knew that NASCAR is "south will rise again" kind of thing, I thought it is competition popular in all parts of USA :?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

TALLADEGA, Ala. - Juan Pablo Montoya will get and up-front view in his first start in a stock car race.

The former Formula One star on Thursday qualified second for Friday's Food World 250 at Talladega Superspeedway and will line up alongside pole-winner Bobby Gerhart.

The Automobile Racing Club of America series race is Montoya's first in a full-bodied stock car as he prepares for a full-time NASCAR schedule with Chip Ganassi Racing in 2007.

"Getting up to speed has been pretty easy, relatively speaking," Montoya said. "The harder thing is to learn how to balance the car, and we haven't done many quality runs yet."

Friday's race will also provide Montoya his first opportunity to attempt pit stops under racing conditions. He will also have little time to learn the drafting techniques necessary to compete on the superspeedways at Talladega and Daytona.

"I think we have a really good and competitive car," said Montoya. "The main goal for me here is to prepare myself for next year and learn how the drafting works, learn where I need to be.

"I will probably get caught up a couple times making the wrong moves, but that's part of the learning curve."

The next stop on Montoya's NASCAR preparation tour will be participating in Monday's "Car of Tomorrow" test at Talladega.

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsraci ... 688720.htm

This series is called ARCA, in which they drive lower powered cars similar to NASCAR Cup. Cup is the top tier, with Busch second,and ARCA behind those. So JPM is getting hard experience in a stock car, but not a Cup car, yet.

I will watch the race and give my opinion on how well JPM did. For anyone interested, it is covered by SpeedTV, and the ARCA race will be shown 8:00 PM EST.

geoclassic
geoclassic

Well, that's the easy part, but good job. Just him on the track, but I hope he does good. Upfront will at least keep him out of trouble??? The race is being shown taped delayed tonight at 8 eastern, U.S. time. Don't know if it will be broadcast outside of the country, but I'll be watching.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

FYI, the track he is racing on is Talladega. It is the largest, fastest track on US stock car racing. 2.8 miles around, banked corners. Driver skill and handling means nothing.

bhall
bhall

manchild wrote:I newer knew that NASCAR is "south will rise again" kind of thing, I thought it is competition popular in all parts of USA :?
Oh, man. You'd be lucky to find a complete set of teeth among the 100,000 or so fans that pack a race every Sunday. I'm talkin' red-necks, buddy.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I have many friends who are devout NASCAR fans, and most are decent, good, respectable people. But it most definitely has it's roots in redneckism, and still is like that. Geographically, the sport reaces out across the USA and abroad, but all the fans speak "y'all".

Ciro Pabón

DaveKillens wrote:... Driver skill and handling means nothing.
Ups. I was posting about the same thing in a different thread, sorry.

Dave, I probably shouldn't say this but I reckon you don't know nothin' about NASCAR.

I guess you are goin' to say that Richard Petty won all that races because he had the best car. And what about Earnhardt or Gordon? Did they had the best car, too? :lol:

I know I've posted this link before, but I think Dave will like it (he must have not read it!):

Social Science at 190 MPH on NASCAR's Biggest Superspeedways

After you read it, you tell me how is the driver intelligence developed in a super speedway. It is a totally different matter from the egothistic, self-centered racing sport I won't mention (clue: its name starts with an "F" and ends with a "1").

Finally, Dennis spoke about JPM like that:
"He was everything you'd expect him to be," Dennis told ESPN.com. "He was a South American, fiery, exciting individual in and out of the car. He brought more color to the team and to F1. As a journalist, you like colorful people and you want people who are sometimes controversial and sometimes outspoken, and I am not just talking about Juan Pablo."
Sure. Besides Alonso, we have a grid of "good boys"... 8)
Ciro

jgredline

Dave
I enjoy your commentaries very much, but your wrong on this one. JPM himself is surprised by how much there cars move around and dance.
They make more Hp than and F1 car and they weigh three times as much with tires as wide as F1 rears. What does that tell you?
To finish first, first you must finish.

joseff

Dave's not talking about NASCAR in general, but about Talladega, where you can simply floor it and have the downforce and grip carry you around the track.

f1.redbaron

manchild wrote:I newer knew that NASCAR is "south will rise again" kind of thing, I thought it is competition popular in all parts of USA :?
Enough said...

Actually, I'm kidding! Like I Dave, I too, have many friends who are die-hard NASCAR fans.

Tom

Still Monty deserves credit, he may only have had to hold his foot down for 40 secs, but he still beat 30 other guys who only had to do the same thing.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DarkSnape

hei ppls i wonder if i can watch the nascar race live on internet... Talladega Fri, Oct 6 3:00PM . when will be?

manchild
manchild

jgredline wrote:They make more Hp than and F1 car
How much?