Look who's talking!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rob W

I can see it now... Fisi tries to stop Michael passing him and they have a coming togeather which puts them out of the race.

Ferrari protests and the stewards decide that [team] Renault caused it, and penalise the team - both drivers losing their points.

But if Massa blocked Alonso and they both went out of the race it would just be "unfortunate".

On that note, anyone else notice Massa slowing Alonso in qualifying yesterday? How come nothing happened? Do teams protest like the America's Cup? Perhaps if, when you protested, you had to put a red/yellow etc flag on your pitt-wall it would make the process a lot more interesting. - Ferrari would need a flag made out of kevlar :P

Rob W

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

That's the very real and scary part. If Massa sacrifices his car and race to take Alonso out, what's the worse that can happen? Massa gets no points, is disqualified from a race he can't finish anyways.
And if Fisi does the same thing to Schumacher then it's just as reprehensible.
It's a shame we the fans have to even consider such a crappy scenario. I'm sure most want the title and race decided on the track, no incidents, no controversy, no team tactics.
If Alonso mounts a charge and challenges for the title, is Schumacher capable of wrecking him out? Sadly, definitely yes. He did it to Hill and secured the title. He tried it on Villeneuve, got nailed, and had the entire record for his season stripped from the record books.
Yes, other drivers in other teams have wrecked out their opponents in an attempt to secure the title. Prost vs Senna, Senna vs Prost, as examples. Just because others have done it doesn't justify or minimize the offence. It's poor sportsmanship at it's worst.
How can we the fans do what we can to ensure the title is fought fairly on the track? Hold the officials responsible for punishing such offences. And team orders? My only thought is that teams are banned from carrying the same sponsor in both cars, each has to be sponsored by different parent companies. Then, for example, the second teammate is ordered to sacrifice his race for number one, the sponsor is perfectly entitled to sue and recover the entire sponsorship for the entire season.
Well, let's hope this does not pass, let's hope to see an enjoyable and fair race, no matter who stands victorious.

manchild
manchild

DaveKillens wrote:How can we the fans do what we can to ensure the title is fought fairly on the track?
I was thinking about it yesterday and best thing seams to be "one team-one car" with single engine, tyre and sponsorship/technical partnership per team.

bhall
bhall

One team + one car = no way to compare drivers.

FLC
FLC

manchild wrote:I was thinking about it yesterday and best thing seams to be "one team-one car" with single engine, tyre and sponsorship/technical partnership per team.
I dont see how this solution would work. If a driver gets an advantage that puts him right infront of another one in the points and he knows that if he knocked out his closest competitor he would win the championship, I dont think it would matter what's the name of the car he's driving, on what tyres and with which engine. F1 is no different than other sports when it comes to being fair. You just have to count on the participants that they would keep their acts together.