Williams replacing Sam Michaels..

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Williams replacing Sam Michaels..

with there new technical director for next year..and he wants results.

Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

DaveKillens

Is that the new weapon for improved pit stop times? Instead of jack men front and rear, he just picks the car up?

f1.redbaron

This topic made me remember a long forgotten person - Antonia Terzi. I went on Wikipidia, and found that she is now a professor at the university.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonia_Terzi

Sorry for going off topic!

Tom

That guy is pretty damn strong. Try doing that with a normal car tyre, its quite hard, I bet F1 boots are heavier.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Giancarlo

Tom wrote:That guy is pretty damn strong. Try doing that with a normal car tyre, its quite hard, I bet F1 boots are heavier.
To give you some perspective: a typical car brake rotor can weigh 20-30lbs. The brake rotor from MS's car weighs less than my cell phone, I've held it.

The typical cast aluminum wheel (we'll say 17") for a consumer vehicle weighs in around 25-30lbs with the tire being around 20lbs or so. That's a combined weight of around 50lbs on each corner.

I've picked up a used Jaguar F1 wheel - it was easily under 10lbs. I can't say the same for tires, however the tires used for Porsche super cup cars pretty damn light - I'd say 15lbs. Given the amount of R&D that goes into F1 compounds, I'd guess that the tire/wheel combo weighs in less than 20lbs per corner. Less unsprung weight & rotational mass = quicker lap times.

Another thing to put things in perspective is that the spark plug is the most dense item on an F1 car...with exception to the Super Aguri drivers. For some reason, they have yet to make those much lighter.
SIU Formula SAE

DaveKillens

Hello Giancarlo, welcome to THE form. I too have held true racing tires, and compared to their street counterprts, extremely light.
Of course, for any high perfromance car, the name of the game is unsprung weight.

Smith

I think the 2 most dense things on the grid are the Torro Rosso drivers!
I love driving, I love driving fast, I enjoy watching others drive fast... need i say more?

Tom

Welcome Smith and Giancarlo,

I always assumed that the tyres, given their size and the amount of rubber on them, would be quite heavy, also based on the way they bounce down the track after a major crash. I didn't realise how light they were.

Thanks guys.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

f1.redbaron

Nah...

This year, at the Canadian GP, in front of the Ferrari garage, I had the chance to see a woman - a bridgestone rep., who weighed no more than 120lbs, pick one of them up with a relative ease.

Or, better yet, think of it like this...you see how fast F1 mechanics change tires. Regardless of how strong they are, if the tire was so heavy, they would've needed more than 4 sec to change them (btw, I've had the chance to talk with some of them...with the exception of the guy holding the fueling rig - who in case of Toyota looks like an animal - the rest of them don't look very strong)!

RacingManiac

Ever done one of those pitstop challenge with the Shell Ferrari car? In Formula Student they always got one for people to play with. And although the chassis is probably a mockup the wheel/tire assembly seems authentic enough(display tire probably, but the wheels look real). The whole thing weighs less than the wheel tire assembly on our FSAE car. Our rim weighs ~7lb and the tire weighs 12lb. And in OD and width is a lot smaller than the F1 tire.

RH1300S

Giancarlo wrote:Another thing to put things in perspective is that the spark plug is the most dense item on an F1 car...with exception to the Super Aguri drivers. For some reason, they have yet to make those much lighter.
Best I've heard for a long time 8)

Giancarlo

Smith wrote:I think the 2 most dense things on the grid are the Torro Rosso drivers!
What? Sato & Yamamoto cannot overtake a dog without damaging their car. On a lighter note; I miss Yuji Ide - he gave me hope.
SIU Formula SAE

Reca

The Friday of the Gp while getting back home I passed near the GP2 paddock and there were two guys putting back the used tyres (slick but same dimension as F1 tyres) on the truck so I asked one of them :
“how much does it weigh ?”
“2 kilos” also showing me the two with the hand.
Quite surprised I then asked confirmation “tyre and rim in total ?” and he nodded to me.

He looked absolutely sincere so I tend to trust him although honestly I was expecting definitively more, something around twice that, 2 kg in total is astonishing low.

As for the brake disc, according to Brembo data it’s about 1.8-1.9 kg

pRo

Reca wrote:I was expecting definitively more, something around twice that, 2 kg in total is astonishing low.
You're right, that does sound too low. Maybe the mechanic thought "lets make this guy uuh" and said it's lighter than it really is.

I have a wheel from Jaguar F1 and while it's crazy superlight for the size, I think that alone is still more than 2kg. It's supposed to be a genuine wheel used in testing and I have every reason to believe it is. Of course I wasn't there to see it actually being removed from the car and buying it on site.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

f1.redbaron

This is the picture of what I was talking about. That woman had no problem lifting that tire. Apparently, according to her (if I remember correctly), fully inflated F1 wheel weighs just under 20lbs:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7391 ... 082tt6.jpg

Off-topic: What is the purpose of those holes on the tire?