Jenson Button words for 07

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Is Jenson smoking crack

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 21

m3_lover

Jenson Button words for 07

After reading this article I had to think myself... Is Jenson smoking crack or something... I really can not see Honda being a Contender in 07 for the world championship?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37702
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

captainmorgan

Why not? He beat both Toyotas at Suzuka, and Rubens just got unlucky. They had reliability enough to win Hungary. The last engine failure they had was Davidson's when he was trying to homologate the 2007 engine, and all the top tier teams have lost an engine since then. Also, Jensen doesn't seem to be suffering the same team mistakes as in the early season, suggesting that the team are actually learning, and improving. Lastly, Jensen's right, among the top teams, only Honda will enjoy complete driver continuity

I'd be disappointed if Honda DIDNT contend for the WC in 07. Also, who expected Renault to win in 04? or Honda for that matter to contend in 03?

Spyker MF1

I started this exact thread on Autosport a couple of hours ago exept I didnt do a poll I just put that he's talking b*****ks how many times has he said he's going to win the WDC he's a bighead with minimal talent

zenvision

why not? Honda are constantly improving. They have a good engine, good drivers and a quite a good fair of momentum. Besides Jenson is galvanized after his first win and will be raring for more and with both rivals entering in unfamiliar waters, he holds a slight advantage.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

bhall

Those are great sentiments for Button to have. But Honda, along with all the other Michelin runners, could have trouble adjusting to their new tires next year. So I wouldn't bank on a serious title challenge.

Tom

Anything can happen in Formula 1.....
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

boban-mk

From end of this season we can see that they are one step behind Ferraris and Renaults. But they are equal to McLarens, and also try to push new engine that has great speed test results. If they make it reliable also, they have a chance to fight. I don't believe that they will win in 07 because is not possible immediatly. Reno was really quick in 2004 and reliable, so they become a champions in 2005. Probably the engine rule can give as a really interesting for some of as or really bad season for some others.

DaveKillens

What enson says make sense, but it must also be taken in context with his previous comments. Honda and Button always boast of being contenders year after year, only to stumble along the way.
Remember, last season the start to their downfall was when they couldn't get grip in the front tires, especially when cool tires. With everyone on the same tires, the field should be much closer.
Also, they hope to see some teams not do as well this coming season. Alonso and McLaren, great driver, but as unreliable as heck. Kimi and Ferrari, can he adapt quickly and will the void left by Brawn and Shu be overcome? Renault, who can step up to the plate and deliver? BMW .. going to be serious contenders.
So with so many changes, it's anyone's game, and Button hopes to capitalize.

pRo

He's not the first guy who thinks he's going to win the title. I recall Ferrari's 2nd driver has been saying that every year, even though they must know who gets the team order when needed. DC has also been ready to take the title before every season. And I'm sure so has many, many others. Some just might not make it to the media.

I bet it would cause even bigges fuss if Button said that they aim to be the 4th best team, but have no chance against Renault, Ferrari and McLaren. It's just something you don't say out loud, even if you really feel so.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

mcdenife

“We need to hit the ground running and destroy the others early on,” he told Motorsport News.

“I am preparing for a world championship run.

“There’s no point in thinking there’s no chance.

“The reality might be different but there’s no point thinking like that.
He is not saying they are going to win the championship. He says they need to aim for it and he has a point. Why should he rule it out b4 the season has even started and he does rule it out, why are they in F1 if its not to win.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Scuderia_Russ

Tom wrote:Anything can happen in Formula 1.....
...and it usually does. :wink:
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

monkeyboy1976

There's a lot of change for next year. Driver moves, new tyres for some teams etc etc...
Jenson has to aim for the top. He has no choice now. After winning a race and being the "best of the rest" (by a long way), the only thing to do is challenge for the WDC. He would not be a racing driver if he did not.
As I see it, the following needs to happen for JB to have a shot at the WDC:-
Honda adjusts well to the Bridgestone rubber
Alonso has trouble settling in at McLaren
Kimi has trouble settling in at Ferrari
Ferrari have a "blonde" season and lose focus (as has happened before)

Theoretically, it's possible.

2007 will be a cracker for the fans anyway as there is so much change.

RacingManiac

this reminds me of the DC's "this is going to be my year" speech.....

ginsu

Jenson needs to concentrate on winning individual races...saying you're challenging for the WDC is meaningless unless you plan on winning at least 6-7 races during the year...what he should be saying is, I plan on winning the first race, I plan on winning Monaco, Suzuka, etc.

Making blanket statements is usually not helpful and makes your goal seem unachievable. Jenson has already won a race, so he just needs to focus on winning a few more. The WDC isn't really won at the end of the season, it's those individual wins that allow you to win the WDC.

I know it sounds silly, but if you're climbing a mountain, it is important to focus on individual steps instead of the entire mountain.
I love to love Senna.

rkn

captainmorgan wrote:Why not? He beat both Toyotas at Suzuka, and Rubens just got unlucky. They had reliability enough to win Hungary. The last engine failure they had was Davidson's when he was trying to homologate the 2007 engine, and all the top tier teams have lost an engine since then. Also, Jensen doesn't seem to be suffering the same team mistakes as in the early season, suggesting that the team are actually learning, and improving. Lastly, Jensen's right, among the top teams, only Honda will enjoy complete driver continuity

I'd be disappointed if Honda DIDNT contend for the WC in 07. Also, who expected Renault to win in 04? or Honda for that matter to contend in 03?
Need I remind you that the Toyotas never have and never will be on pace?
You just cant compare beating a toyota to winning a world championship...