What are those things near the sidepod

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

What are those things near the sidepod

I look at those things and no idea... are they some type of pressure or tempurature gauges?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

tomislavp4

They look strange, that´s all i know :D

Spyker MF1

I'd take a guess that they some how encourage more air into the radiators by compressing the air slightly. But that is a total guess

DaveKillens

Most likely infra-red sensors to read the tire temperatures. Probably narrow field of view by three sensors to read the inside, middle, and outside temperatures.
There's still a tire war going on.

f1maniac

If i could recollect Mclaren had a temperature sensor at the start of the season...I remember a post on it... :!:

taleed

...those things near the sidepod? what things...can you get an arrow and point it near the "thing" your looking at because there are alot of things near the sidepod. Thankyou.
There is a place for those who dare to dream

Saribro

those 3 bumps around the "Siemens" line.

taleed

DaveKillens wrote:Most likely infra-red sensors to read the tire temperatures.
I think thats the most likely answer then. I'm not sure though and i'm interested to find out a definite answer.

Rob W

It would appear they're the infrared sensors mentioned above. Not dissimilar to these ones..

See the Mclaren car (number 2)
[IMG:523:1104]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/140/ ... rasdo2.jpg[/img]

And the whole article about tyre heat-sensing in motorsport here: http://www.thermoteknix.com/content/eng ... CETECH.pdf

Rob W
Last edited by Rob W on 16 Oct 2006, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.

taleed

To sort of echo what Rob W said:
Throughout the Grand Prix weekend all cars must be fitted with two cameras or camera housings. The cameras are used to provide on-board TV footage.

The cars have a total of six camera mounting points. One camera housing is always mounted on top of the air box immediately behind the driver’s head. The position of the second housing is chosen by the FIA in consultation with the relevant team and driver.

All cars must also be fitted with a timing transponder supplied by the officially appointed timekeepers. These transponders allow the timekeepers to record every lap time of every car throughout the weekend.

...That's what I think they are with the infra-red sensors to read the tire temperatures. Anyone disagree?

DaveKillens

I respectfully disagree. The cameras and locations are specified by the FIA rules, and are for use during the race weekend. According to FIA regulations 20.3.1 there are six specific locations for cameras. And for transponders, the regulations are also very specific.
But those three objects seen on the McLaren are there only during testing, and obviously for some form of data collection. Just what data is being collected and for what purpose is the only question.

taleed

ok...i thought those things on the side was on all the time. point taken.

Reca

As a wise friend told me once : “don’t waste much time thinking about it, it’s just an hole”

The same applies to this case, those are just the holes (4 per side) to fix via screws/bolts the thermal camera to the chassis (that obviously is purposely modified), but the instrument isn’t fitted in that pic.

G-Rock

[/quote]As a wise friend told me once : “don’t waste much time thinking about it, it’s just an hole”
In what context should i take this comment? A womans hole or just a hole in general? I would think that some of the ladies on this website could/should be offended by such a comment. Please keep this site professional and decent.
These holes in question are for data collection, air temp, tire temp, air pressure etc. The skies the limit. When they are not in use, they plug them up so people like Reca can't get their fingers or peckers in there.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reca

G-Rock wrote: In what context should i take this comment? A womans hole or just a hole in general? I would think that some of the ladies on this website could/should be offended by such a comment. Please keep this site professional and decent.
These holes in question are for data collection, air temp, tire temp, air pressure etc. The skies the limit. When they are not in use, they plug them up so people like Reca can't get their fingers or peckers in there.
First, the original context of the phrase was completely unrelated with women but with an hole on an airplane fuselage. Since then the “it’s just an hole” became a code phrase between us to indicate that while trying to understand what something is for people often forget about the most simple possibilities, and I think the current situation fits.
Your interpretation (and the following “nice” comment) tells more about you than about my phrase.

Second, back on topic, on this page you can find the pics taken at the test in Barcelona 31/05-02/06 :
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/photos/ ... 0_01.shtml
De La Rosa was there all the days while Paffett only the first one and JPM the following two.
It’s logical to expect that De La Rosa used the same car all three days while JPM took Paffett’s one.

This is Paffett with the camera, you can easily see 2 of the 4 holes on the bulge in correspondence with the holes on the chassis :
[IMG::]http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/photos/200 ... po_123.jpg[/img]
[IMG:594:400]http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/photos/200 ... po_127.jpg[/img]

This is JPM the following days :
[IMG:602:400]http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/photos/200 ... po_149.jpg[/img]