What are those things near the sidepod

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scuderia_Russ

G-Rock wrote: In what context should i take this comment? A womans hole or just a hole in general? I would think that some of the ladies on this website could/should be offended by such a comment. Please keep this site professional and decent.
:? W.T.F?!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

wrk

could they be some sort of air presure sensors?
air going over the front wing or into the rads??

w
gentlemen start your engines......

G-Rock

Well Recca, if that is indeed what you meant by "a hole" then I take my comment back (although i still think that quote had a certain sexual undertone) I know when a group of guys get talking (especially engineer types in a factory setting or building site) the conversation can drift into the obscene and I was hoping that that wouldn't happen here. I can get enough of that at the local pub...
--------------------------------------------------------

Scuderia_Russ

G-Rock wrote:Well Recca, if that is indeed what you meant by "a hole" then I take my comment back (although i still think that quote had a certain sexual undertone) I know when a group of guys get talking (especially engineer types in a factory setting or building site) the conversation can drift into the obscene and I was hoping that that wouldn't happen here. I can get enough of that at the local pub...
You shouldn't judge others by your own standards G-Rock. When I read your reply I thought it was some sort of lame joke. Where exactly are the sexual undertones in his post by the way? I'm a young red blooded male, and that was the last thing on my mind mate! :roll:
-Henry Ford-

G-Rock

"As a wise friend told me once : “don’t waste much time thinking about it, it’s just an hole”

Yeah right, young red blooded guy..don't tell me that this isn't a derogatory comment refering to the female genitalia, there Russ. It was and you know it. I really hope i don't have to spell it out for you.
I'm not going to go into this much further as it is beneath me, but perhaps we could have some input from the rest of this forum. Spill your guts and don't give me any diplomatic bs. Then we can put this behind us and move forward and discuss.. uh oh yeah, the side pod thingies.

Saribro

G-Rock wrote:I'm not going to go into this much further as it is beneath me
You're the only one who brought it up and keeps whining about it, so it seems to me that it isn't. Perhaps it's time to get over yourself and/or find some new friends if you can only think of women when you read the word "hole" without context.

So, Reca: They're not actually sensors, but mounting points for sensors?

Phoenix

I read an article in Race Tech (issue 66) about those little buggers. Those are most definitely infra-red guages.

Tom

I assumed it was some private joke, I post that kind of thing all the time not expecting anyone to get it. Certainly whatever context its in it was clearly not offensive, holes make up life, holes in knowledge and holes in the ground.

This is what i thought of when the subject arrose
'read the news today oh, boy
Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall'
PS Reca, I'm a teenager, if there'd been any undertone comment of biological holes I would have spotted it.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

G-Rock

Holy, looks like it's beat up on G-Rock day! I can't believe that none of you thought what i thought. Invariably, the human psyche develops it's own set of codes to decipher meaning in certain contexts. In this particular case the most evident symptom carried a message of uncontrolled and raw sexuality which disturbed me to say the least. That being said, i did find Reca's quotation quite drole (although i didn't want to admit to it at the time) Remember gentlemen, you need to open your eyes to see...
Well, I'm off to the clubs, it's Saturday night!

Scuderia_Russ

G-Rock wrote:I can't believe that none of you thought what i thought. Invariably, the human psyche develops it's own set of codes to decipher meaning in certain contexts. In this particular case the most evident symptom carried a message of uncontrolled and raw sexuality
Nah mate, you're just a perv. :wink:
-Henry Ford-

Reca

Saribro wrote: So, Reca: They're not actually sensors, but mounting points for sensors?
I think so.
Look at this pic, zoom of an area of the pic I already posted :
[IMG:150:128]http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/543/th ... ua2.th.jpg[/img]
the black thing is the thermal imaging camera, you can barely see the hole for the lens at the front; the bulge contains the related equipment, just like you can see on the pic posted by Rob W on the orange McLaren (that was the Mp4/20).
That bulge containing the instrument has to be attached to the chassis somehow, so either it’s glued on, or it’s attached via screws/bolts, the latter makes more sense.
You can clearly see three of the four holes on the bulge, the fourth is hidden behind the bargeboard, they have a diamond like disposition in correspondence with the holes on the chassis. The most logical explanation is that these holes are for the screws.

Furthermore the teardrop bulges around the holes visible when the camera isn’t fitted don’t make sense if these holes were for static pressure measurement. I know there are many aerospace engineering students here, they certainly saw at least once a report of experiments to identify the best fillet radius of the hole’s border for static pressure, the inclination of the hole’s axis etc etc all of that is meant to reduce the influence on freestream and get a figure as close as possible to the real value. If you wanted to measure the static pressure of the freestream, first, the hole would be most likely smaller, second you wouldn’t certainly put it on top of a teardrop shaped bulge, the bulge would cause an acceleration and deviation of the flow, not enough to cause a noticeable perturbation to car’s aero, but certainly more than enough to influence the measure of wall’s static pressure and make it useless.
The teardrop shaped bulge makes sense if you think that they needed to increase the thickness of the chassis in that point, and a plausible reason to do it is to give a more “solid” support for the screw; carbon fibre doesn’t like to have holes on it for screws or bolts, when one is needed you have to adopt solutions to reinforce the area and distribute the load.
Tom wrote: PS Reca, I'm a teenager, if there'd been any undertone comment of biological holes I would have spotted it.
Ok I take it as a confirmation that I’m not an idiot for not having thought about that specific misinterpretation while posting. I’ll try to be even more cautious in the future, still if, you or anybody else, find something in my posts that could sound as an undertone comment please tell me and I’ll take care of it; more likely than not it will be unintentional, it’s already difficult enough to write in a different language that I use here only and make a specific sense, let alone to write something having sense and including intentional undertones.
OT : you once asked the meaning of “scuderia”, but I forgot to reply that one and I remembered it only now reading Russ’ nickname. It means horse stable, particularly while referred to part of castles or estates and typically to valuable horses. It’s evident why it became in Italy a term to identify car’s racing teams. Then “Scuderia” alone became a different term to identify Ferrari, particularly outside Italy.

scarbs

I wrote the Thermoteknix RaceTech article mentioned already. They are defintiely tyre temp sensors. McLaren ran the larger cameras on the MP4-20 which had a detachable panel on the side of the monocoque to mount the larger camera. For the MP4-21 the team no longer had the convenient panel to mount the camera to. Instead they run this array of sensors, they are clearly different from the camera, which could read a strip of temperaturs across the tyre. These new versions appear to just read a specific area of the tyre. When not in use, the "holes" are covered with a round silver sticker, which Mclaren also use to cover lots of other holes\fasteners. These stickers are a real bad match for the reflective paintwork on the car.

Reca

Scarbs, I don’t want to sound stubborn but there are a couple of things that I’d like you to clarify.
The car in the pics I posted above is an Mp4/21, so they definitively had the camera on it too, in the same position as on the 20 (although the lack of the panel you mentioned forced them to mount it completely external).
Then, unless I’m missing a further hole at the front, it seems to me the only holes on the bulges are the ones on top and pointing perpendicular to the chassis, not to the tyre as one would expect if these were covering sensors meant to measure tyre temp.
And then consider that the lowest one, visible only from above, is hidden behind the bargeboard. I know that carbon fibre can be slightly transparent to IR, but can a temp measuring sensor work with required accuracy even if the line of sight is impeded by a carbon fibre silver painted element ?