Race history help... the guy who stopped for lunch..

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rob W

Race history help... the guy who stopped for lunch..

I read about a race many many years ago where the leading driver was so far ahead and his rivals all out of the race that he stopped mid-race to have lunch and have his car polished...

Can anyone direct me to the thread or a site which has this story please?

Cheers,

Rob W

manchild

Sounds like a joke to me.

taleed

Re: Race history help... the guy who stopped for lunch..

Rob W wrote:I read about a race many many years ago where the leading driver was so far ahead and his rivals all out of the race that he stopped mid-race to have lunch and have his car polished...
well it's not April 1st yet so no comment other than your the funniest guy on this forum. Maybe it was some sort of wierd joke book that you were reading.
There is a place for those who dare to dream

Rob W

manchild wrote:Sounds like a joke to me.
No. I think I saw it mentioned in a forum here but can't find it.. I also read about it once in a book.

Basically a driver had such a lead in a race (in the 1930s or 40s I think) and his closest rivals had all retired from it so he pitted and, in-front of the very unfavourable crowd, had a cup of tea in pitt-lane and got his crew to polish his car. Basically giving the finger to the crowd.

True story.. I just can't find it now!!

Rob W

pRo

Quite a difference between a lunch and a cup of tea, don't you think? ;)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

captainmorgan

Sorry I cant put up a link, but its true. You can rent a video called "World's Greatest F1 Cars" which goes through F1 decade by decade. It actually shows footage of this driver getting out of the car real quick, taking a swig of something and getting back into the car after the pitwork was done. It was kind of funny, b/c the team owner or someone was yelling at him the whole time. It looked like an arrogant stunt.

Unfortunately Ive forgotten the driver's name.

Ciro Pabón

Rob W, thanks for your post and your insistence. Good memory.

I know some people won't believe Joules Goux and his mechanic drank six bottles of champagne in pit stops during 1913 Indy 500, but, hey, is in the history books. Anyway, I digress. The point is that you are right, as captainmorgan points out.

The happening was at the beautiful circuit designed by De Thier near the town of Francorchamps, down the valley towards a stream called the Eau Rouge and then uphill to the crest of Les Combes. The year was 1925 and the guy's name was Vittorio Jano. It was the Belgian GP at Spa, and it was more than a joke. It is one of the most studied displays in the history of racing: I've wrote about it somewhere in the forum.

Mr. Jano directed the Alfa team. The local favorite, the Delage team, has retired and the public was booing because the Romeos he had designed, lead by Antonio Ascari, were dominating. Mr. Jano ordered the cars to pit, in response. Not only he had lunch properly presented, on a table with tablecloth in full view of the "howling spectators" while the cars were attended, but you can read here that the cars were cleaned and buffed. Ascari won the race and was killed in his next outing at the French GP. His son, the famous Alberto Ascari, won the same race in 1952 and 1953. The history of italians at Spa is really, really old and full of surprises. :wink:
Ciro

Rob W

Thanks Ciro.. that story crack me up.. I wanted to show it to some people I work with..

Rob

f1.redbaron

wasn't there a race in Monaco back in the 70's (80's?), where a driver, confident with his lead, stopped some 100m before the finish line to wave to the crowds, only to see a driver behind him, pass him? Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Spencifer_Murphy

Well I know Sir Sterling Moss was in the lead of a race once, and he got out of his car during a pitstop for a drink...

...seen the video footage too...looks like he was drinking Coca Cola :lol:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

joseff

f1.redbaron wrote:wasn't there a race in Monaco back in the 70's (80's?), where a driver, confident with his lead, stopped some 100m before the finish line to wave to the crowds, only to see a driver behind him, pass him? Anybody know what I'm talking about?
Hmmmm IIRC there's something like this involving Tonio Liuzzi in 2005? 2004?

Spyker MF1

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Well I know Sir Sterling Moss was in the lead of a race once, and he got out of his car during a pitstop for a drink...

...seen the video footage too...looks like he was drinking Coca Cola :lol:
Was probably LSD dissolved in water if that would still give you a fix

pRo

joseff wrote:
f1.redbaron wrote:wasn't there a race in Monaco back in the 70's (80's?), where a driver, confident with his lead, stopped some 100m before the finish line to wave to the crowds, only to see a driver behind him, pass him? Anybody know what I'm talking about?
Hmmmm IIRC there's something like this involving Tonio Liuzzi in 2005? 2004?
Monaco, F3000, 2003

Swedish Björn Wirdheim was winning the race when he slowed down to celebrate next to his pitcrew by the wall and Nicolas Kiesa overtaked him before the line. :lol:

He won the title anyway and was Jaguars 3rd driver for 2004.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

f1.redbaron

pRo wrote:
Monaco, F3000, 2003

Swedish Björn Wirdheim was winning the race when he slowed down to celebrate next to his pitcrew by the wall and Nicolas Kiesa overtaked him before the line. :lol:

He won the title anyway and was Jaguars 3rd driver for 2004.
Yeah, you are right! I just found it myself. For some reason (no I'm not on crack), I though it was in the 70's/80's. Maybe I thought of that race in Monaco when only one driver went through the start/finish line, the rest of them broke down/ran out of fuel!

Anyways, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRAGNKNOrv0

a fan of the red team

wow.... the story of that dominant race car have to be stopped and its driver has no choice but to have tea in front of a booing audience in order to quiet them down is so funny...... imagine if things like that happen in today races.... which is highly unlikely... and for that guy who slow down in monaco to celebrate his non so certain victory after another guy beat him to the finish line is quite funny too but it just showed that you should not celebrate until the victory is certain... that guy must be a d***a**