Precalculus lab idea

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Formula
Formula

Precalculus lab idea

We were assigned to find a real world example for the use of any basic trig identity and show/explain it, I would like to use an automotive reference of course. I was wondering if anyone had any really interesting ideas they could lend?... learning something new and applying it would make this really fun. Appreciate any ideas...

Formula
Formula

I posted this in the wrong place.. my appologies.

Ciro Pabón

What about the cosine effect, if you get caught speeding by an officer with a radar handheld gun? It is simple to explain and almost nobody thinks about it.

You can check also here for an explanation of how an effect that diminishes speed readings can be a defense. I've used a radar gun many times and I can testify it happens, in case you need it and if you're actually innocent. Not all judges and officers are familiar with it. I've actually seen the confussion in the faces of the officers when they failed to realize that at less than 120 meters, located at the side of a wide road, their radar guns were useless. The second time I served as a witness, the police officer arranged for me to give an explanation of the effect at the police station to all officers. Not bad for a simple trigonometry relation! :wink:
Ciro

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

How about the geometry between the center of gravity, the contact patch of the tires, and the force vectors involved when braking.
For example, if a vehicle with a center of gravity of 1 meter and a wheelbase of 4 meters, and the front wheels have an effect of 2 metric tonnes and the rears 200 Kg of braking force, does it lift the rears off the ground under braking? Simple trigonometry.