AT&T joins Williams F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hatchet man
hatchet man

AT&T joins Williams F1

"AT&T aims to help the team gain a competitive advantage through the application of communications technology and will support the team with its advanced portfolio of Internet Protocol (IP)-based communications services."

http://www.f1technical.net/news/4241

Perhaps Williams will take advantage of AT&T's other talents, spying. IMO they need it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/01 ... ance_suit/

joseff

There's HP, Michelin, MCI, BMW, Mobilecast, RBS, and AT&T... wow I can't believe how many times Frank manage to find a blue & white logo to plaster on his cars.

Sawtooth-spike

But will it save them?

Can they bounce back from this?

I am not so sure, they have had a VERY poor season, they need to pull there socks up this year or i think 2007 could be the end of williams as we know it
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Well, it's nice to see that Sir Frank can still land the big name sponsorship. And it's amazing that his policy of stepping away from tobacco has actually not killed the team.
But I wonder if his problems are the result of a trend, or just some bad decisions. The trend in privateers disappering to big name auto manufacturers is alarming at times, because it means the price of admission to the sport is astonomical. It's sad, because the innovation that the privateers gave to the sport was one of the main factors in what we see now.

Giancarlo
Giancarlo

DaveKillens wrote:Well, it's nice to see that Sir Frank can still land the big name sponsorship. And it's amazing that his policy of stepping away from tobacco has actually not killed the team.
But I wonder if his problems are the result of a trend, or just some bad decisions. The trend in privateers disappering to big name auto manufacturers is alarming at times, because it means the price of admission to the sport is astonomical. It's sad, because the innovation that the privateers gave to the sport was one of the main factors in what we see now.
How long of a contract does Williams have with Toyota?

If Williams consistenty outperforms the factory Toyota cars, will Toyota spend even more money on their F1 team, will Toyota try to purchase Williams, or will Toyota refuse to extend their engine contract? If Williams kicks ass for the next 2 seasons, I cannot imagine Toyota sitting idle, that's a big conflict of intrest. Toyota is not a charity that aims to help the 'little guys' in F1 - they're there to do better than everyone else buy all means neccessary.
SIU Formula SAE

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Well, we've seen this done before. A major manufacturer supplies engines to an independant, and then one day... just like when BAR became Honda.

yin
yin

i think the AT&T should be looks good on the Williams,but i miss the Rothmans and HP livery and JPS on the lotus :(

m3_lover

As we revealed some weeks ago Williams has been busy building up its technical staff with the appointment of Renault's deputy head of aerodynamics Jon Tomlinson becoming head of the Williams aero department in March. He will be joined by former McLaren senior aerodynamicist Amit Chakraborty.

The team's new chief designer Ed Wood has been in place for several months but he will be joined by former Williams man John Russell, who was chief designer at Jaguar Racing before heading off to Australia for three years in the V8 series.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Rob W

I can't say how happy it would make me to see Williams back on top form. Frank Williams seems to have the highest level of integrity.. I read once where he said it was his policy to never approach another teams sponsor. Top marks I say.

Go Williams!

Rob W

joseff

Rob W wrote:Frank Williams seems to have the highest level of integrity.. I read once where he said it was his policy to never approach another teams sponsor.
FedEx (Ferrari)?

But yeah, nice to see things falling together into place for F1's last privateer. They live only to race, and that gets top marks from me. Seriously, how many of us in Frank's position could achieve what he's achieved since 1986?

RH1300S
RH1300S

I'm keeping everything crossed..........team willy are the guys for me