question abt time recording in f1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
onon

question abt time recording in f1.

Hi. I am noob in f1, always wanted to know. How does recording system work in formula 1, the car passes so fast the finish line. what kind of time recording system f1 use. 1.02.365 is so precise and accurate, i wonder how they do record the fast lap times, etc.

thanks. common sense tells me that the car would have some kind of transmitter which sends info. thanks.

DaveKillens

There are transponders in each car, in specific locations as specified by FIA regulations. There are sensor wires buried under the track, but most prominently start finish and the two sector positions.
Next year they will add GPS to give the FIA a better understanding of the locations of all the cars.

Fan Solo

Yup transponders, back in my RC racing days we used them to get to the hundredth of a second timing :)

With regard to the GPS systems being impamented next season, I really hope that its used for the public too! Live timing showing where everyone is on the circuit would be superb :)

DaveKillens

I hope so too, and there's no reason why, the technology is here.
A dynamic map of the track, showing the real-time position of the cars would enrichen the spectator experience. I have a laptop connected by wireless to the net, and for each race, I have brought up the Formula One live timing and scoring. It has really brought fabulous insight to the races, and I truly like and enjoy it.

Tom

Williams had something at Monaco where all the cars were displayed on an interactive map.

If fans could get this kind of thing it would be priceless.

Also I believe in football you can choose your own camera while watching sky (I'm not entirely sure about this) so why not allow F1 veiwers to press the red button and become their own director? I'm sure it cn be done although I don't know if the button works on ITV. The commentators are always pointing out how terrible the directors are and it seems we get some pretty dire camera views for exciting moments, why not let viewers choose their own watchings?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Fan Solo

Just going through some pics & came across this.. Laser timing beam I recon, backup to the transponders maybe?

MMIAFN