how big is the gain from theese

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tomislavp4

how big is the gain from theese

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257 ... rotech.jpg
I know that they are far better for the aerodynamics from the standard ones but how much better???

m3_lover

Hybrid cars like the Prius and Civic Hybrid have these as well...less drag coming from the wheels
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

DaveKillens

Fully enclosed wheel covers do offer aero advantages such as less drag and vigration from turbulence. But they run up against real world requirements. Acces to the rim is difficult, for servicing and inspection. And there's no place for the hot brake air to leave.

Tom

On that particular car cooling seems to be a minor issue, inboard brakes cooled from below would be a huge advantage.

Even better is the old Lotus Le Mans style full wheel covers...

Not a great example...Image
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

RH1300S

Thread's worth having just for a pic of the Eleven - thanks 8)

zac510

It would be impossible to quantify the amount by which these would offer an advantage but it is safe to assume that they would indeed offer a slight decrease in drag.

pRo

DaveKillens wrote:And there's no place for the hot brake air to leave.
Better make a small hole in them then, I've heard it enhances brake cooling. 8)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you