New list of tracks in Google Earth

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

New list of tracks in Google Earth

1. I updated the Ciro's List of tracks around the world. Now it has 243 circuits, including, of course, all F1 circuits ever. I added all Champcar tracks for 2007 and all NASCAR 2006 tracks.

Thanks to Manchild for pointing me to a new hosting. I kept the adress of the page anyway.

http://www.geocities.com/ciroalbertopab ... os_eng.htm

Any comments on mistakes are "extremely" welcome.

I still use a public host, so any bandwith problems are my fault.

2. I added a GoogleHack (by Magnus) to the list of F1 circuits in Wikipedia. I did it for all active tracks.

This means that on the top right corner of the Wikipedia page about current tracks you'll find a link labeled "Coordinates". When you click on the link, Magnus page opens and it allows you to see the track in several programs for maping, from Nasa's WorldWind to MSN Maps.

Here is an example for Albert Park:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_ ... ix_Circuit

This is the corner where I added the link:

And this is the wiki list of tracks, in case you want to check this for other circuits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fo ... e_circuits

3. I updated the Wikipedia list on F1 tracks, correcting minor errors and byzantine disputes. Any contribution to this list is OK.

Enjoy!
Ciro

ketanpaul

Thanks man...............thats a lot of work........superb :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

Well done Ciro, That'll help my mum alot anyway (i know the general layout of most tracks but she can only recognise Monaco, so far)
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ciro Pabón

Well, ketanpaul, Tom, thanks!

Anyway, I included overlays (photos that appear on top of Google Earth's satellite photographs) for Shanghai and Istambul Park.

As far as I know, it is the first time you can take a look to both tracks in Google Earth. I recommend the forum members to check these two new, beautiful tracks (the Istambul Overlay photo is taken from a chopper, so I had to ortho-correct it).

You'll find another new thing: the location of 13 F1 car factories (including some oldies, like Lola) from Woking to Faenza.

I appreciate if anyone can help me with web page adresses for F1 tickets. I am including this information on my list: so far I've done it only for Champcar 2007 but I hope to include this info for F1 2007. At each Champcar track you can access the tickets page and buy them, I would like to be able to do the same for F1.
Ciro

flynfrog

m3_lover

I think you are missing Renault on your map
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Ciro Pabón

Thanks, flynfrog, I'll include them.

m3_lover: Thanks. First correction I receive! Keen eyes, that's what I like. I located Renault's Enstone factory. The label is not visible in the picture I posted because they are too crowded.

Do you have any idea where is Renault F1 factory located in France? Do they build F1 cars there, or just components? :)

Anyway, for the future F1 engineers, it seems there is only two places in the world to work : England and Italy... of course, only if you like Thiessen or japanese "corporative mind" the way I do, and discard the proud but lonely examples in Germany and Switzerland. :wink:

I'm not saying this is all, please correct me, but the full list of places I located is this:

- Hinwil (BMW)
- Maranello (Ferrari)
- Brakley (Honda)
- Silverstone (Jordan)
- Huntingdon (Lola)
- Woking (McLaren)
- Woking Technology Center (McLaren Mercedes) I haven't posted it yet
- Milton Keynes (Red Bull Racing)
- Enstone (Renault)
- Leafield (Super Aguri)
- Faenza (Toro Rosso)
- Köln (Toyota)
- Ockham (Tyrrell)
- Grove (Williams)

Again, thanks for any corrections, no matter how small.

For example, I do not have the adresses for the F1 factories. Again, I think it will be interesting to know the few places on Earth where our beloved "vehicles" roll out of the door. Hail to the artisans! 8)
Ciro

manchild

Renault engines are made in Viry-Châtillon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viry-Ch%C3%A2tillon

Renault chassis are made in Enstone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enstone,_England

Keep on the good work Ciro :wink:

zac510

Great stuff Ciro, good to see Adelaide again, the pit complex is still visible as it is still in use today, annually but in a slightly smaller role.

I dropped in on Brands Hatch and looks like they caught it right in the middle of a big meeting - both Paddocks full, carpark full and even a car or two on the track. brilliant.

Ciro Pabón

zac510, thanks for your comments. I swear it took me over an hour to locate Adelaide. I haven't drawn the lap for it, but surely I'll do it.

I've seen several tracks caught on a racing day but none as nice as Brands Hatch. Thanks.

It is incredible to watch the "full" paddock in such detail while you can read the intelligent wiki article on the track characteristics:

"... whilst all spectators are given excellent views of the entire 'Indy' configuration, and those in the grandstands have an almost unbroken view of the entire 2.3 mile 'Grand Prix' configuration...

... Druids, an almost perfect hairpin, negotiated after a tricky uphill braking zone at Hailwood Hill...

... exceptionally tricky Clark Curve, whose off-camber, uphill approach tends to carry the car towards the outside..."

You can read that the track was built "with farming equipment" by "cyclists"! 8) Never imagined it was bombed...

There is a couple of funny things I noticed at other tracks. For example, ¿what the devil is this red jet doing at Fiorano? :wink:

Ciro

Mikey_s

Ciro,

fantastic job, many thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. I have one small suggestion to make regarding McLaren... the building you have highlighted is the "old" headquarters, in fact you brought back some memories for me as i used to pass that science park each day on my commute to/from london and I always looked out for it. However, the new McLaren Technology centre is in a place called Ottershaw, just a few km North East of Woking. the co-ordinates are 51°20'40" N, 0°32'43"W... unfortunately the satellite pics are rather old and all that is shown is a building site.

Still, a great job, well exectued, i admire you, not only for doing it, but knowing how to do it and share it with us all. :wink:
Mike

zac510

Ciro, I can help with tracing the track if you like.

I think that plane looks like an exhibit or display. It doesn't look like it is in a position where it could be

Brands is just south-east of London , in Kent, so is quite close to Germany, the Channel and the big target London. I'm not surprised it got bombed!
I'm not sure about that Wiki- I haven't been able to see all of the GP circuit from the stand - the GP loop is hidden by trees.

manchild

Ciro Pabón wrote:There is a couple of funny things I noticed at other tracks. For example, ¿what the devil is this red jet doing at Fiorano? :wink:
That's the jet Gilles Villenueve raced against in 1981. It was given to Ferrari by Italian airforce in 1989. Original numbers were changed to 4 - 27 (4th aircraft maintenance unit from Grosseto) and 27 because it was number Gilles had on all of his Ferrari cars.

Here is the movie :arrow: http://www.modelfoxbrianza.it/diorami/V ... strana.WMV

[img]http:600:397]http://www.modelfoxbrianza.it/diorami/V ... illes2.jpg[/img]

Ciro Pabón

Manchild: I guess that there are so many people admired by your encyclopedic memory that to be able to tell you that you are amazing I shall stand in a long line behind them! From now on, I wait for your book on F1 anxiously... :shock:

I was expecting jokes about that plane being Michael Schumacher Harrier, for him to commute to work :wink:, but never ever passed by my mind the idea of this jet being remotely related to F1 history. DaveKillens is going to love that (he probably knows it already, I bet).

This is going to be one of my favorite stories about how the Internet helps to make sense of any information in a matter of minutes. Specially about how this has to be done using people, not Google searchs.

Mikey_S: thanks, I'll include the technology center and republish the files today. You're right, is under construction in the picture.

zac510: thank you very much for your offer about tracing the track. I hope you find the time... any contribution is more than welcomed! I have to encourage you to correct the Wiki article about the visibility of the circuit: one of my humble goals is to bring more people to write in wiki articles about tracks.

Anyway, the concept of a visible track is most interesting and even if Brands Hatch do not achieve it (could they cut the trees, perhaps? :wink:) it is a worthy goal for any new track design. After reading about the mere possibility of it, I ended thinking that this should be mandatory at new tracks! :roll:
Ciro

manchild

Ciro Pabón wrote:Manchild: I guess that there are so many people admired by your encyclopedic memory that to be able to tell you that you are amazing I shall stand in a long line behind them! From now on, I wait for your book on F1 anxiously... :shock:

I was expecting jokes about that plane being Michael Schumacher Harrier, for him to commute to work :wink:, but never ever passed by my mind the idea of this jet being remotely related to F1 history. DaveKillens is going to love that (he probably knows it already, I bet).
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yes, Dave already knows about it :mrgreen:

:arrow: viewtopic.php?t=2101&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15