Best 2006 rookie

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

Best 2006 rookie

Hi all,

in regards to our poll asking for the best rookie of the year, I am a bit surprised by the results. Well not actually surprised but I think you shouldn't forget about Yamamoto.

The guy came in after being a friday test driver 3 times and did quite good, he was very close to Sato in the final races and didn't make any major mistake. I understand that his Super Aguri is not impressive to vote him best rookie, but don't you think he did a really good job?

Kubica on the other hand drove well too, but he was in the friday testing role all season long before they kicked out Jacques.

Heikkirocks
Heikkirocks

I voted for Yamamota as I felt sorry he hadn't got many votes.... ! :lol: and I don't like Kubica although I gues he is going to be major hot property next year if a team is willing to design a car around his lanky frame

vyselegend

You're right. Yamamoto showed a very decent performance, especially given the limited amount of testing he did before racing. But I think people (myself included) are giving more credit to the results than the relative pace of a driver. Look at Giancarlo, he was quite impressive in the Jordan's day, and even managed to win the chaotic 2003 Brazil GP. But then, when he obtained the opportunity to prove his value as a championship contender, he kind of collapsed.

In the end the performance of "rear grid" drivers just give hints about their capacities, but you never know how serious they are before a race win is in sight. Some seems to sink (GF, JB...), and some others show all their determination. So I think what seduced most of us with Kubica was his ability to transform a potential into a result, with that hungarian podium. Others proved good, like De La Rosa, but Robert K. have two more things on his credit: his car was a "middle grid" one, and he achieved this podium on his third race only.

What I mean is that even if Sakon were to drive a superb race and to achieve a spectacular 10th place or so, it wouldn't prove that he have the mental strengh and consistency to win a race, not even thinking of a championship...

f1.redbaron

Had anybody asked this question at the mid-season, Rosberg would've taken the majority of the votes. Given Kubica's performance at the end of the season, I don't think that he would be case right now. So, realisticaly, I'd say Kubica!

But, I want to vote for Ide. I'm positive that he will get no votes, and I like the underdogs (hey, I cheer for Toyota :D :D :D )