British GP to alternate with French GP! - Bernie

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Heikkirocks
Heikkirocks

British GP to alternate with French GP! - Bernie

How can it be possible that the BGP is under threat again!!?? yeah, sure the French are 'happy' to do it.. but come on, this is 'the home' of motor racing, end of. Any chance this bloke gets to hammer Silverstone he takes it, ok, so Germany is going to alternate between Hockenhiem and Nurburgring,,,,, but its the same blinking country... hello, wakey wakey Bernie.... Frustrated of London.

Spyker MF1

Its a load of rubbish he's taking the tracks out of europe where there is a bigger fanbase to Asian countries thinking he can make more money. Thank God when Bernie gives up his position hopefully not to Max though :x
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

manchild
manchild

I don't think that French are happy to do it because when France was leading the way in motorization in "the home" of motor racing "The Locomotive Act" from 1865 restricted the speed of horse-less vehicles to 4mph in open country and 2 mph in towns.

The act effectively required three drivers for each vehicle; two to travel in the vehicle and one to walk ahead waving a red flag. For the next 30 years cars couldn’t legally travel above walking speed.

I was being sarcastic on purpose because UK is home of the F1 today but France pioneered motor racing like no other country.

Anyway France is not to be blamed. It's Bernie and his never-ending "let's build f1 circuit in the desert" money-making policy. Not having GP in UK where most of the F1 teams are located is plain stupid.

scarbs
scarbs

Why not, they both have circuits with questionable facilities and poor road links beign based miles from a major city.
If the UK truly is the home of motor racing, why can't these companies put their hands in their pockets and build a decent pit complex?

Hondanisti

scarbs wrote:why can't these companies put their hands in their pockets and build a decent pit complex?
I'd love to compare the costs of building identical pit complexes (materials) at Silverstone versus Istanbul, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, and Seoul.

The question for Bernie is how bad does it look on TV when no-one can afford the grandstand tickets at these "new" tracks and you have lots of empty seats versus the actual revenue generated from the organizers and TV itself ?

Then again, I saw a lot of empty seats at Hockenheim this past year...
Hungaroring 2006: Honda Stopped Dreaming & Got On With It!

INTEGRATION & LEARNING

Sawtooth-spike

i dont think alot of the teams would stand for this.

F1 has become a whore for the rich to make money with. i am sure alot the way things are being run now alot of people are turning in there graves.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Tom

Frankly british circuits are not great, for some reason no one will admit it though.

Brands was an exciting circuit but its facilities weren't up to scratch.
Silverstone is pretty boring, none of the fast sweeping corners really exist anymore, and no one wants to spend money on it.
Donnington I like, I don't know why its not used, my only complaint is it's a bit narrow, didn't stop Senna though

Bring them all to knockhill, that'll sort the men from the boys, and the female equivalents if there are any.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild
manchild

Tom wrote:that'll sort the men from the boys, and the female equivalents if there are any.
You meant sort "Michèle Moutons" from "Ralf Schumachers"? :wink:

Ciro Pabón

Well, the greatness of a circuit is not in the paddock, if you ask me. Here I go in one of my rants. Sorry for the redaction, but I have not much time and a lot to say.

Anyway, the problem here is that tracks do not receive money from TV: they have to earn money (and pay their "pound of flesh" to FOM) based only on tickets. This is what keeps people away from the races: how in earth are you going to get U$ 600 dollars to pay for a mediocre stand, where you can hardly see the race? Most tracks have been half empty in 2006 (seen from TV, when the camera director HAS to show them). This is the reason of their "weakness" and the reason why Bernard Ecclestone can "throw them away" at his liking.

My God, we are becoming an armchair group of fans... Most "forumers" (not in this forum) haven't seen a race, much less race themselves because of exorbitatn ticket prices. This is ridiculous. It is like FIFA promoting only TV fans: where will they get the football players of tomorrow? Have we given up on racing as an entertainement and believe that the only entertainement is on TV? Perhaps the world only need 22 pilots, that's what I think sometimes FIA wishes, but let me tell you that the pinnacle of a pyramid have a lot of stones under it!

I blame that on the "cheapskatness" of FOM about tracks and the incredibly divided karting world. It is incredible that Shanghai organizers had to sell half the tickets and give away half of them! Why did not they charge 50% for all of them? Most races lose money (look at Albert Park catastrophe this year) and the money they lose, that can cripple an organizer forever, is what a team spends on aerodinamic design in a week.

Let me explain what I think a good track is:

Good tracks are not "theoretically perfect" racing lines. Good tracks have quirks, good tracks cheat on the pilot, making him think that he understand the curve, when he really doesn't. They always have a surprise for you: there is always one tenth of a second "hidden" somewhere, for your genius to find it. Good tracks cannot be learned by heart, they have to be felt.

Good tracks allow the entire track to be seen (thanks zac510 for making me think about this). Good tracks have to be carefully walked before the race, because they not only are changing places, where the curve of last year has been substituted by some loving, caring engineer that adore its circuit and keep it "up to date" with the ever changing cars: these tracks "move", they change from sunrise to sunset, from hour to hour. They have shadowed places in the morning where the asphalt is hot in the afternoon. They are like a lover: you need patience and understanding with them because they are variable and capricious. They call you in the morning: "hey, good looking, do you think you know me? Prove it." :wink: That is the reason why good tracks cannot be simulated on a game.

Good tracks have a VIEW! Good tracks, like good roads, force you to take your eyes from the road to look at the horizon and feel inspired by the sight... Good tracks are places where you can lie in the grass and take a look once in a while to the sky while you watch the race and hear the noise of engines, smell the petrol in the air and, in spite of that, or perhaps, because of that, make you feel elated.

Even nicer tracks have challenging vertical curves, uphill or downhill braking zones, sideslope variation between curves and transition curves that allow two cars to take a curve abreast. Nicer tracks have consecutive opposite curves that cannot be "solved theoretically" on a PC!

The best tracks of all bring people in to race in karts. They are a part of a community of racers and engineers, they are a part of their neighborhood. The best tracks of all do not host races: they create the races. The best tracks in the world are the "sandlots" where people simply play because they like it like nothing else in the world: this is where their friends are. The best tracks in the world are the places where you can feel again that "I-can-win-you-running-to-that-tree: one, two... now!" feeling of your childhood.

Bahrain is a joke if you agree with the previous statements. A track is much, much more than a strip of asphalt. Silverstone, on the other hand, is like a gothic cathedral: surely you can design a nicer, most efficient church, full of high-tech materials. But who is going to pray fervently there? (well, I am agnostic, but you got the idea :wink:).

Any track can be made safer, being it Montecarlo or "cookie cutter" tracks designed on a computer for robot pilots. It's your choice. Where do you want to be crowned world champion? In the middle of nowhere or at Chartres's cathedral? Don't give me the line about "the toilets don't work" or I'll sue you... the only one that goes to a track to take a dump it's Kimi!

Well, I have spoken... plenty. I only hope I won't have to swallow my words, but I know some of you will agree.
Ciro

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I agree Ciro, a good track has a life of it's own, it's a place that both racers and fans relish visiting at every opportunity. The good tracks are the ones that are always busy, and I really hate to say this, but they are the ones that kill drivers. Because those tracks have the charisma of always drawing fans and drivers, of being perpetually challenging, where the perfect lap never comes, but is right there on the tips of the driver's fingers.
In the interest of logical safety, most are now gone, or neutered (Monza used to be really something else for drivers). But the romanticism of racing seems to be lost most of the time, partly because of technology, and safety, and most likely because of television. These days, entertainment is doled out, soccer matches run like clockwork, and you can set your clock by an F1 race. Packaged entertainment, structured sports and fans seem the current trend. And that's where F1 is now, with three kinds of fans. Locked in, disinterested, or not yet fans, but potential canditates. In France, even if there was no Grand Prix on home soil, the TV audience wouldn't suffer that much. But to attract new fans, what better way than to hold a glorious race on a shiny new track?

Fan Solo
Fan Solo

BE is a clever man, all be it greedy he's gonna hawk F1 for all he can get away with! whole point of the release imo was to give F1 a bit of profile in the close season & put the s**its up the BRDC (for fun no doubt), does F1 need amazing architecture? no, what it needs are tracks built in bowls! Brands hatch indy is a perfect example, let the crowd see everything..... then you will have a full circuit if most seats have a good view.

I paid £200 odd quid for my seat at woodcote this year so I could see as much track as possible, Ill do it again next year too, but F1 should realise sitting at one corner seeing the same line taken by every driver is just boring. I can see why NASCAR is popular, you can see the whole track for a start, the racing is monotonous but you can at least follow whats going on. Tilke needs to wake up & think out of the box!

Whilst im on the subject of BE, F1 theme park!!!! hes laughing his ass off! yeah pay me millions & you can use the name. Some countrys have too much spare cash!
MMIAFN

Reca
Reca

Ciro Pabòn wrote: Anyway, the problem here is that tracks do not receive money from TV: they have to earn money (and pay their "pound of flesh" to FOM) based only on tickets. This is what keeps people away from the races: how in earth are you going to get U$ 600 dollars to pay for a mediocre stand, where you can hardly see the race? Most tracks have been half empty in 2006 (seen from TV, when the camera director HAS to show them). This is the reason of their "weakness" and the reason why Bernard Ecclestone can "throw them away" at his liking.
Say it loud man, say it loud. Also the sidetrack advertising money mostly go to Bernie...
It takes me just 20 minutes to be at the track still in the last 5-6 years I went there during the race weekend only twice, both times the Friday, in 2002 and this year. Both times solely because I got a free pass from a friend of a friend. I would never spend the money needed to attend knowing the kind of “spectacle” offered for people at the track during a GP weekend these days. I prefer by far attend the F1 tests and other categories races.
Doing the math at the end of the year, to see most of races of lower series (talking about 10+ events per year as average and often with paddock access) I spend lot less than I would spend to see the single F1 race.

Anyway don’t expect F1 people to understand it. People like Bernie or Briatore (that if possible is even worse than Bernie in term of avidity) are good only to rant on tv about the empty grandstand but would never realize what the real problem is even if they had it written in capital letters in front of their beds.
They will never realize that a dad wanting to go, not even to the race, but to qualifying, with family, more often that not has to spend something close to 1 month salary. And even if he decides, for once, to make the sacrifice and do it, the lack of action on track and the tremendous access limitations for normal people will easily convince him to keep his money in the pocket next time.
Bernie’s strategy, since quite long time, is “the less I let them to see the more they are willing to pay to see it”. And that’s, frankly, the biggest idiocy ever.