Honda Test Driver

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Honda Test Driver

Paffett set to be confirmed at Honda

Thursday, November 9th 2006, 11:09 GMT

Gary Paffett could be confirmed as Honda's new test and reserve driver within the next few days, this week's Autosport reveals.

Paffett has been in discussions with Honda for several weeks, with his current McLaren employers having told the Briton that they will not hold him back if he wishes to leave them when his contract expires later this year.

Although former Red Bull Racing driver Christian Klien remains a contender for the Honda test seat, it is understood that Paffett's experience of working with a team as successful as McLaren has been key in helping him emerge as the favoured candidate for the job.

A source close to Honda Racing told Autosport: "Being able to choose a driver with close working knowledge of a current top Formula One team is extremely useful for our development plans."

The final contract has not been signed, however, and Paffett is believed to still be considering other options he has in F1.

Should be conclude the Honda deal, then Paffett will work alongside Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello from next year, with Honda's current test driver Anthony Davidson set to switch to Super Aguri as a race driver.

McLaren are likely to only have one test driver next year with testing restrictions meaning teams no longer need two testers on board.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Hondanisti

with the MP4-21 not winning any races but having 8 podiums with 3 second place finishes vs. Honda's 3 podiums with 1 win, I guess overall the McLaren may have been quicker perhaps in the first half of the season. Is that info really helpful?

Is Paffett bringing any "knowledge" or "insight" technically to Honda from his McLaren testing experience really? If he's telling them McLaren's development path in '06 (i.e. parts tested or setups tested) is that going to be helpful on totally different tires in '07 ?

As a Brit, he'll possibly integrate with the team earlier but that's never any guarantee. He has no racing experience. Is he motivated ?

Klien has racing experience but is he motivated to do the slogging miles of testing or will he be hunting for a race seat and eager to leave ?

I guess my point is: the reason given for an advantage with choosing Paffett based on his McLaren development direction knowledge may not be the advantage that it's painted to be.

My question to the forum is: Is Klien's race experience more valuable as a tester ?
Hungaroring 2006: Honda Stopped Dreaming & Got On With It!

INTEGRATION & LEARNING

m3_lover

I think Gary is very experienced

winning the McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver of the Year Award in 1999.

In 2001, moved overseas to the German F3 Championship racing with Keke Rosberg's race team, finishing 6th overall. Remaining in the series for 2002 he dominated the field winning the championship without ever losing the lead.

DTM
A year later, he was runner up with an up-to-date AMG-Mercedes C-Class and the HWA team taking four wins and one pole position. He was then champion the following year with five wins and four pole positions.
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Hondanisti

I honestly don't know the particulars in terms of the criteria that Honda is looking for.

I can only imagine that you would want someone who knows his/her way around an F1 chassis & setup , can get up to speed and the most out of the setup quickly , drive using different styles, and can communicate the feel of the car accurately after each change.

Having all those accomplishments on his resume are impressive but the intangible is knowing what happens in an F1 chassis during a race.

Davidson had come to Honda with F1 race experience from Minardi and consistently wrang the most out of the setup since he often was up there in the testing chart laptimes (even though we don't know the context of those times relative to the other teams' setups or testing programs).

You want the new guy to also bring a different perspective or something that Honda hadn't considered as well - so perhaps, Gary's McLaren test experience may become an asset.

I was just weighing the assets Klien has relative to him and whether his race experience helps in communicating feedback or coming up with ideas that the team hadn't considered before on their radar scope.

INTEGRATION & LEARNING

Spyker MF1

I think it would be a shame if Paffet got the testing drive as I think he would be much better in a race seat and would out perform Coulthard and Button in his first 2 seasons
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

Reca

McLaren had him for years as tester and let him go. To him they preferred De La Rosa (admittedly, not Jim Clark) and a guy who didn’t put a foot on a F1 car for a serious test until few weeks ago.
Says it all IMO.

So I agree with Hondanisti, if Honda wants someone with experience as tester for a top team just to make km, fine. But I doubt he would be the right one for a future as race driver.

Spyker MF1

The only reason Pedro got the race seat this season is because Ron knew how he would react to race situations and the only reason Hamilton is going to get the race seat next year is because he is Rons "golden boy" whereas if Mercedes had a higher percentage of shares in the team and Norbet got the desision as to who got the seat Gary would of been in the seat straight away.Its all down to Rons judgement being completely clouded.

Oh yeah and Paffet has only been a tester for one year not years. Two years ago he won the DTM championship and the year before was his debut year in DTM

Hondanisti

Spyker MF1 wrote:
Oh yeah and Paffet has only been a tester for one year not years. Two years ago he won the DTM championship and the year before was his debut year in DTM
I can only surmise that a public announcement of Paffet's imminent signing is a negotiation leverage tool. since most deals (eg. Montoya's or Alonso's) are done very quietly without airing the proposals to the media.

Is Klien asking for too much ? and Honda said, well tough noogies on you, we'll sign Paffet.

Or is it as straightforward as it seems : Honda likes Paffet - he's a good fit in the team (including team chemistry) and has some development knowledge that may be useful - let's just sign him ?

INTEGRATION & LEARNING

Reca

Spyker MF1 wrote: The only reason Pedro got the race seat this season is because Ron knew how he would react to race situations and the only reason Hamilton is going to get the race seat next year is because he is Rons "golden boy" whereas if Mercedes had a higher percentage of shares in the team and Norbet got the desision as to who got the seat Gary would of been in the seat straight away.Its all down to Rons judgement being completely clouded.

I’m not talking about the fact that he didn’t substitute JPM in races this year, that was normal, De La Rosa was the only reasonable choice.
I’m talking about 2007, they decided to keep De La Rosa, to take Hamilton (which one is going to race and which one to test remains to be seen), and then said to Paffett “if you want to go, you can”.
Then maybe this story is just a rumour and Paffett will be test driver for McLaren again in 2007, but it’s not the first time I hear rumors/stories about McLaren being not particularly impressed by him.
In a period where they are all looking everywhere for the next One, a team wouldn’t risk to lose a young driver if they were convinced he’s the real deal and McLaren had plenty of data to judge him, according to Gary’s official website :
http://www.garypaffett.com/press_18.htm
Gary's relationship with the team began in December 1999 when he was awarded the prestigious 'McLaren Autosport Young Driver of the Year Award'. As a result of winning the Award, Gary conducted his first Formula One test with Team McLaren Mercedes in 2000 and since then he has helped the team with both its testing and simulation work on a regular basis.
It’s true that he was full time tester in 2006 only, but they “know” him since long time.

Spyker MF1

yes he has been with MERCEDES for a long time but you said "McLaren had him for years as tester and let him go." and my point was that he has only been a tester for one year, the last time he raced he became champoinship winner. He is a world calss driver and it would be a shame to waste him as a tester when people like Button who have done nothing are still keeping their drives :cry:

m3_lover

Didn't he test for BMW one time two years ago...?

zenvision

I think Reanault did the most astute choice in getting Zonta, since he already has experience with Bridgestones. If I managed a team, without doubt I would get Gene. Knows Ferrari and Bridgestones, and willing to come. I think Ferrari also would offer very few resistance keeping him. I am baffled that no-one ever seriously gave him a thought, but then Ferrari is known to pay over the odds for personell since they will probably be poached and there are other detracting factors since its situated in Italy.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

joseff

Gene was really great to watch in the Minardi. Too bad he didn't manage to get a race drive later on.

m3_lover

He had acouple of races with BMW Williams but nothing came out of those races

captainmorgan

I've always been kind of a fan of Christian Klien ever since Brazil 2005, when he qualified 6th in the first year Red Bull, with his teammate qualifying 16th. People were talking about that lap, and although the TV only showed turn 1 of his lap, it somehow looked like a very good turn for Klien.

Aside from the fact that this demonstrates that more video feeds are very much desired in F1, like maybe over the Web, does anyone have any more observations of Klien's racing, especially over 2006?

From what I remember, it wasn't a very good year for him, especially with Red Bull applying pressure for him to beat Coulthard in order to be retained.