got a stupid question...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
yin
yin

got a stupid question...

i'm always wondering why race driver need a manager,and what they do for the driver???? :)

manchild
manchild

Re: got a stupid question...

yin wrote:i'm always wondering why race driver need a manager,and what they do for the driver???? :)
Managers are people with connections and experience in reaching best conditions and contracts for driver. At least it should be like that... I mean Massa's manager is Jean Todt's son Nicolas Todt which denies "connections and experience". In a way JT is manager of his own son and he managed to manage him to be Massa's manager which brings him nice %. :lol:

Driver can be more relaxed during the season as his manager deals with contracts, sponsors and similar stuff.

zenvision

Their most important job is when they are young, guiding them to the right series with the right team and giving him the right coaching.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

PNSD
PNSD

However as JB has shown, sometimes the Managers can get it wrong if left to sort out contracts etc.

Reca
Reca

A little anecdote about drivers and managers...

One day, in mid ‘90s, a certain F1 team owner attended a race of ITC championship to meet a young driver who was at the time racing for Alfa Romeo. The team owner was absolutely impressed by the ability of the driver and was looking at his career since a bit of time already. When they met the team owner said something like : “I need a driver for my team next year, what do you think ?”
I think everybody around here agrees that in a similar situation a driver should start to jump up and down and answer something like “just give me a minute to take couple of bags...”. Instead of that the id... err... driver, said : “hmmm, I should talk with my manager”.
The team owner, understandably, said “goodbye”.

Since it’s apparently period of games, I let you guess the driver and the team owner, although isn’t particularly difficult.

BTW, I heard it from a team member of Alfa Romeo at the time so it’s absolutely real story.

Hondanisti

Bernie ! Bernie ! Bernie !
Hungaroring 2006: Honda Stopped Dreaming & Got On With It!

INTEGRATION & LEARNING