Mika To Test For Mclaren!!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
waynes
waynes

Mika To Test For Mclaren!!!

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38025
McLaren-Mercedes has confirmed that double world champion Mika Hakkinen will test for the team at Barcelona on Thursday.

The Finn will spend the day re-familiarising himself with an F1 car after more than five years away from the sharp-end of the sport.

The news ends weeks of speculation about the 38-year-old's renewed interest in his former team.

"I'm really excited about driving a Team McLaren Mercedes Formula 1 car again and to be re-engaging with the team," said Hakkinen.

"I have followed F1 closely since my retirement at the end of the 2001 season, but it was when I was at this year's Brazilian GP as a guest of the team that I really felt I would like to get a chance to drive a Formula 1 car again."

According to McLaren, Hakkinen requested the test after spending several hours in the team's simulator since the season ended in October.

And while speculation over a full-time return to F1 racing has proved wide of the mark, McLaren admitted that it intends to use the test 'to benefit from Mika's experience and obtain his feedback with regards to changes in downforce, engine and tyres that have occurred since he last drove an F1 car'.

"I have recently spent some time in the simulator in Woking and to get the possibility to drive the MP4-21 is something I'm really looking forward to," added Hakkinen.

"I would like to thank Ron [Dennis] and Norbert [Haug] for making this happen.

"This test is a chance for me to see how much F1 cars have advanced and experience first hand what they are like to drive today as well as providing the team with some feedback on various aspects of the car's performance."

Hakkinen will take over from the team's regular test driver Pedro de la Rosa and will drive alongside McLaren's much vaunted protégé Lewis Hamilton.

"We are delighted to provide Mika with the opportunity to drive a Formula 1 car again," said McLaren team principal Ron Dennis.

"He is really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of a current Formula 1 car.

"A driver of Mika's calibre and experience can only bring added value to our testing programme and his feedback after Thursday's running will be valuable to the team in our preparations for the 2007 season."

Hakkinen is committed to Mercedes-Benz's DTM programme for 2007 but it is not inconceivable that he could dovetail this with more tests for McLaren in the future.

Dennis added however that "at this stage there are no plans for Mika to conduct further tests for the team."

Mercedes-Benz motorsport VP Norbert Haug also moved to quell speculation over a potential future role for Hakkinen.

"Everybody in the team is happy to see him at the wheel of our Formula 1 car again and we look forward to some interesting comments," he said

"However nobody should draw the conclusion that Mika will switch back to Formula 1 after this test."
your wish has come true vyselegend!

vyselegend

Hehe, that's what I see! :)
Too bad test sessions aren't shown anywhere on TV (at least not where I am), but still, this is a good feeling to have Mika back behind the wheel of a Mac Laren, again...

waynes
waynes

im pretty sure that there will be some footage either on Mclarens official site or on youtube of Mika on track

ketanpaul

Well I hope he outpaces Lewis by a considerable margin so that Ron knows he made the wrong choice :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

vyselegend

Well most of all I hope the car will last more than 20 laps, for once... :roll:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Since Renault still has Alonso under contract until the year's end, McLaren have asked Mika to step in and fill in until Fernando can start testing for McLaren. Good publicity and a decent stopgap measure to fill in the driver shortage.

vyselegend

I have to say I was a little bit disapointed to see him stuck down in the chart all day, especially this morning when his best lap was a 1'25"something.
But obviously this is a normal thing for someone who hadn't driven a F1 car for years. I remember JV wasn't at ease when he ran for Renault after a one year break only. Also it is said that he used a single set of the Bridgestone (79 laps of barcelona with one set! :shock: Those tyres are pretty hard!)
At the end of the day it seems he have enjoyed a lot (see the article on F1racing.net), and he hope to test more. Hope we'll see him again at Jerez [-o<

waynes
waynes

vyselegend wrote:I have to say I was a little bit disapointed to see him stuck down in the chart all day, especially this morning when his best lap was a 1'25"something
on control tyres? cant see him being that far off the pace to be honest

waynes
waynes

basrawi
basrawi

its nice to see him again,,,, he will improve in the next tests (i hope they let him test more) i have no doubt about it,,,,,

its just feels good to see him behind the wheel like the old days,,,,, schumi-hakinnan era was 1 of the best years in F1,,,,, i respect him so much.
M Basrawi

Spyker MF1

One of my favourite drivers (always a gentleman) was a bit annoyed when it was annonced he would test as some things are best left to memory. But was very surprised that he was that fast. I mean five years out of an F1 car must almost be on the scale of going from a penny farthing to a trials bike.
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

IMO hakkinen shouldnt make a return to F1.seeing how he has been out of the sport for 5 seasons now,and maybe mclarens choice to put hamilton alongside alonso for 2007 will to turn out to be a wise choice,but then again ron dennis is no flavio briatore when it comes to picking out the best of the best rookies(m. schumacer,f.alonso,h.kovailenen),i just hope that hakkinens test outing doesnt become something more
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

waynes
waynes

mx_tifosi wrote:IMO hakkinen shouldnt make a return to F1.seeing how he has been out of the sport for 5 seasons now,and maybe mclarens choice to put hamilton alongside alonso for 2007 will to turn out to be a wise choice,but then again ron dennis is no flavio briatore when it comes to picking out the best of the best rookies(m. schumacer,f.alonso,h.kovailenen),i just hope that hakkinens test outing doesnt become something more
Alonso aint getting released from his renault contract until the new year so Mclaren are a driver down, getting hakkinenn in to do some running could prove very effective

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

waynes wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:IMO hakkinen shouldnt make a return to F1.seeing how he has been out of the sport for 5 seasons now,and maybe mclarens choice to put hamilton alongside alonso for 2007 will to turn out to be a wise choice,but then again ron dennis is no flavio briatore when it comes to picking out the best of the best rookies(m. schumacer,f.alonso,h.kovailenen),i just hope that hakkinens test outing doesnt become something more
Alonso aint getting released from his renault contract until the new year so Mclaren are a driver down, getting hakkinenn in to do some running could prove very effective
Mclaren aren't short a driver.they continue to have de la Rosa and G.Paffet as test drivers,i read an article saying that Hakkinen has been doing some simulator tests recently for mclaren,so it does raise concerns as to his desire to make a return to formula 1,so no,mclaren aren't short a driver,and plus,they have hamilton and hakkinen testing,hamilton is a complete rookie in F1,and hakkinen hasnt been in a f1 car in five years,i dont think its the wisest choice to make,considering that de la Rosa and Paffet have much more experience under their belts,and could possibly be considered more useful to understand the new bridgestone potenzas that will be used for 2007,

Ferrari have topped the time sheets for the third consecutive day,Massa 1st and 2nd day, Badoer 3rd day, very promising and exciting !
:wink:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Phoenix

When is Kimi free to test for Ferrari?